Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, I don't understand why the Canucks wouldn't be fine with signing Joshua to a 3m or greater contract. Seems like an easy one and a standard going rate for a high-end, young, physical third-liner. Bring him and Blueger back and you have a stable third line.
Not sure how the numbers work exactly, but the pecking order must be Guentzel, Zadorov, Joshua and they need capspace certainty for at least the first two to even be a possibility. Mikheyev gone and I bet we see a signing shortly after.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I missed the first couple minutes but here's what I heard from Dhaliwal on Donnie and Dhali this morning:

-Rangers not interested in Guentzel
-Joel Edmundson hangs out in BC during the summer
-Lindholm is gone
-doesn't think signing Guentzel is a slam dunk; Hurricanes trying really hard to re-sign him
-Canucks could have interest in Jordan Martinook if they lose Joshua
-Zadorov is 6y/5m
-really surprised they aren't getting to Joshua's number; he's not at 4m
-UFAs are waiting for the Canucks to free up capspace
-has it on good authority that Zadorov wants to stay
-all their UFAs want to stay

I'm inferring Dhaliwal brought up Edmundson early in the show
Joel Edmunson mostly hangs out in one place or another during the winter too

I'd do 6 years at $5M for Zadorov, but I might be in the minority there.

If it's true that Joshua is asking for something in the 3s, I'm also shocked the Canucks haven't met that ask. Totally worth it, IMO. And while Martinook is a character guy, he certainly wouldn't come close to replicating any of the offense that Joshua was providing, methinks.
I'd add a year and try to bring the AAV down to 4.3 or so. 6x5 wouldn't enrage me, but it's too much.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

If it's true that Joshua is asking for something in the 3s, I'm also shocked the Canucks haven't met that ask. Totally worth it, IMO. And while Martinook is a character guy, he certainly wouldn't come close to replicating any of the offense that Joshua was providing, methinks.

I'm OK with that contract for Zad too. Same with Joshua.

Reactions: Donuts

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Ok you explain it.

After including Poolman's and Weber's contracts on the final roster, they would simply have to announce signings after the preseason wouldn't they?
All that would really happen is that you free up Mikheyev’s cap to spend elsewhere. Weber’s cap hit would then count against our total cap but our total cap would increase by Weber’s cap hit less our cap space excluding Weber’s cap hit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can see why they're hesitant to add contract dollars if they're going after Guentzel with something like 7x$9.5M on July 1. Even if they've got the marginal cap space to do Zadorov before hand (I believe they have something like $16M post-Hronek), that puts them in a heck of a spot trying to move salary. Teams will try to bend them over a barrel knowing they're in that tight.

I'm sure some of it is maintaining flexibility heading into free agency to take their shot at Guentzel, and potentially Reinhart if he's around. Thus all the reports of the UFAs waiting around for the Canucks to move Mikheyev.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agents for Boeser and Garland were both involved and it led to SFA. Unless Ruthervin move off of "not paying" to move him (or they find a $ in $ out trade that fills another hole) , he isn't going to move before the frenzy is over.

It basically tells you that they're not on board with just biting the bullet and paying the price to get rid of him which is what needs to happen.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Because this will limit the Canucks ability to add a top 6 forward.

If Zadorov is asking for $30M/6 years, I wonder if they could try $34M/8 years and get that AAV down to $4.25M? That would be a lot more reasonable for the calibre of defenseman he is.

Joshua and Zadorov are both luxuries that this team can’t really afford due to the cap crunch. I think one will be re-signed but not both sadly.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Here's the first few minutes that I missed.
-been trying to move Mikheyev for quite some time; at the trade deadline
-Zadorov and Joshua's agents are being patient is because the Canucks have told them they will try to free up capspace to re-sign them
-can sign Dillon if Zadorov leaves
-sees Canucks being interested in Joel Edmundson

-Rangers not interested in Guentzel
-Joel Edmundson hangs out in BC during the summer
-Lindholm is gone
-doesn't think signing Guentzel is a slam dunk; Hurricanes trying really hard to re-sign him
-Canucks could have interest in Jordan Martinook if they lose Joshua

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

If Zadorov is asking for $30M/6 years, I wonder if they could try $34M/8 years and get that AAV down to $4.25M? That would be a lot more reasonable for the calibre of defenseman he is.

Joshua and Zadorov are both luxuries that this team can’t really afford due to the cap crunch. I think one will be re-signed but not both sadly.

Yeah, I'm all in favour of offering a bit more term to reduce hits. I've been saying for a while though that I feel dead certain our ability to retain Zadorov in particular is going to be linked to our ability to deal with Mikheyev's contract, something I'm not feeling super optimistic about.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Without a second thought I'd give Zadorov thought. Hell, if he's willing to come down into the high 4s, we can make it 8. Give him the retirement treatment!

I've been saying all along we need to weaponize term. Give out the 6-7-8 year deals if it means we get much cheaper dollar amounts. That's how we get around OEL's buyout.

Reactions: Jovofan

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
It basically tells you that they're not on board with just biting the bullet and paying the price to get rid of him which is what needs to happen.
Connor Brown is exactly why this could be a massive mistake. same injury and also a delayed recovery. His knee is fully healthy again and his speed is back and better than it was before the injury. He's been a massive part of a dominant PK unit which has come up huge in the finals. Kicking Mikheyev to the curb with a 1st round pick in his pocket so we can blow our wad on a 30 year old (pint sized) winger is a mistake IMO.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
I’m down for Zadarov under $5m if it’s term he wants. Joshua I’m more unsure about, my guess is his cap can be low too with term but I wonder if his contract ends up an anchor in 2-3 years. Maybe not the risk Canucks want in the bottom 6. I’m ok with no long term contracts in the bottom 6.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
6x5 isn’t surprising or the worst, but under $4M for Joshua is the surprising one. If he’s at like $3.5M I sign that all day.

Could be that they don't believe in signing middle of the lineup players. Would have been good if they'd followed this with Mikheyev tho.

Reactions: BimJenning

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

If we bring back both, we're pretty much decided that either Suter will remain in the top six or we're going to chance a rookie pushing for a permanent spot. If, say, we let Blueger go, that would give us roughly 2.2-2.8M to play around with. Of course, this hinges on Zadorov going for a little under 5M at max term and Joshua accepting no more than 3M at all 7-8 years.

Much as I hate to see it happen, letting Joshua go frees up a lot of money to bring in another top six forward. We could then shift Suter down or maybe see whether Podkolzin can fill that void.

Reactions: BimJenning

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think an issue with holding on to mikheyev is that the team is mentally done with him due to the way the playoffs unfolded. it's not just a statistical gamble to hope he bounces back but a team chemistry issue. perhaps not his fault but the reality.

the other related issue is that if he does not bounce back he is a very heavy immovable boat anchor all next season. he needs to be on a team that can handle the downside of the risk. we're not it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
By that I mean he's getting bought out.

I'd really prefer to just pay the price of dumping him, even if it's a first round pick (2025). We're basically saying good-bye to Joshua if we buyout Mikheyev while praying to every hockey god imaginable the cap goes up another 4-5M next season. If it doesn't, we're losing Boeser.

Fitting him in will already be very dicey but nearly 7M in dead space all but guarantees he's gone.

Edit: There is the possibility of trading Garland to keep Boeser but the end result is a Mikheyev buyout costs us a good player rather than a draft pick.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
According to Seravalli the Avalanche are making Ross Colton available to clear cap space. Canucks had interest in him last off-season. 3 more years at 4m. I don't see any conceivable way he fits, though.

Reactions: ManVanFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad