Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Well if Guentzal rumors true that were strong contenders to sign hopefully he learned one more thing from Crosby. Take a little less as to have a stronger cast around you to win. Money is great but winning and money is better !

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Mikheyev to the Utes for Shea Weber's contract:

Nets 13M extra Cap and LTIR space.

Then sign whomever they want.
Combining this with Poolman's LTIR, and their existing Cap space they would have:
16M (current) +13M (Weber's LTIR contract and subtracting Mikheyev's Contract) +2.5M (Poolman LTIR contract)

=31.5M in combined Cap and LTIR space.

This should probably be the play even if it delays announcing signings until after the preseason and they have to pay a sweetener for Weber's rights.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He said something similar on The Crossover with Donnie & Dhali yesterday. The gist is that Guentzel is a superstar that anything under 11m is a good contract.
I must be the only person here that has serious concerns about how well he'd work with Pettersson.

Guentzel is an outstanding finisher which is why he worked so well with Crosby, who is absolutely brilliant at maintaining possession of the puck until the defense breaks down and then getting the puck to the right spot. Pettersson is not that player IMO; he doesn't have the strength or quick feet to extend plays like Sid did. I honestly can't think of a player that was better at protecting the puck other than maybe Jagr who had the lower body strength and the reach. Guentzel would probably work great with Miller and Boeser though. Or on a line with Garland.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Allvin gonna go crazy and sign guentzel and marchessault and depth players like duhaime.

Guentzel - ep - marchessault
- miller - boeser
Hog -suter - garland
Pdg/duhaim - aman - podkolzin

Hughes -hronek
Soucy -
-

Juulsen, friedman

Go all in Alllvin and pry crosby for ep if it means cup lol

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Finding a way to swing Mikheyev for Reilly Smith could be a decent move. One less year and has potential to be a winger beside Miller or Petey. Proven playoff performer with offensive chops to be in the top 6. Doesn’t “solve” the cap relief problem but it’s not the worst

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Mikheyev to the Utes for Shea Weber's contract:

Nets 13M extra Cap and LTIR space.

Then sign whomever they want.

I think Management doesn’t want to use LTIR so they can accrue cap space during the season. That’s why they want to get rid of Poolman. Not a bad idea though if they are unable to move Poolman, and to increase the LTIR pool.

PS: It is an absolute joke that the NHL has a salary cap that they will sometimes enforce by not allowing teams to acquire injured players at the deadline or punish like the Luongo penalty, but lets teams acquire contracts of players that will never play again to increase it’s LTIR pool or to reach the cap floor. Trading for LTIRetired contracts should be cap circumvention and not allowed. Rant over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finding a way to swing Mikheyev for Reilly Smith could be a decent move. One less year and has potential to be a winger beside Miller or Petey. Proven playoff performer with offensive chops to be in the top 6. Doesn’t “solve” the cap relief problem but it’s not the worst
Mikheyev and his agent Dan Milstein have been given permission by the Canucks to approach teams directly to try and facilitate a trade.

Probably nothing comes of it, because of that tough contract, but you have to give kudos to Milstein. Sometimes I think he qualifies as one of the Canucks 'unofficial GM's'.

That's why I have some hope that Zadorov might be returning. Because his agent is also Dan Milstein.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the fact allvin is making it milstein's problem to clear mikheyev's salary so they can sign zadorov is kind of funny.

i imagine that means he is getting pressure from two sides (the team and the zad family) to find a solution, maybe three if mik is motivated to leave but not sure whether that’s just the situation he finds himself in

cautiously optimistic

Reactions: Vector

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Allvin gonna go crazy and sign guentzel and marchessault and depth players like duhaime.

Guentzel - ep - marchessault
- miller - boeser
Hog -suter - garland
Pdg/duhaim - aman - podkolzin

Hughes -hronek
Soucy -
-

Juulsen, friedman

Go all in Alllvin and pry crosby for ep if it means cup lol
Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Juulsen
Brisebois - McWard

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I must be the only person here that has serious concerns about how well he'd work with Pettersson.

Guentzel is an outstanding finisher which is why he worked so well with Crosby, who is absolutely brilliant at maintaining possession of the puck until the defense breaks down and then getting the puck to the right spot. Pettersson is not that player IMO; he doesn't have the strength or quick feet to extend plays like Sid did. I honestly can't think of a player that was better at protecting the puck other than maybe Jagr who had the lower body strength and the reach. Guentzel would probably work great with Miller and Boeser though. Or on a line with Garland.
you're not the only person. i respect allvin et al, and they know guentzel, but guentzel seems like an elite complimentary player being tagged to work with unfamiliar players who may not have chemistry, and this feels more like a window prolonging gamble for an aging core team than a window opening move for a young core putting the final pieces in place. usually if you have a young core you don't need to bet the farm on a 30 year old which always involves risk.

i guess if we are out of the flat cap era we'll be able to move on from guentzel with retention if it is just a question of fit, but the whole thing worries me.

Reactions: Jerry the great

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I missed the first couple minutes but here's what I heard from Dhaliwal on Donnie and Dhali this morning:

-Rangers not interested in Guentzel
-Joel Edmundson hangs out in BC during the summer
-Lindholm is gone
-doesn't think signing Guentzel is a slam dunk; Hurricanes trying really hard to re-sign him
-Canucks could have interest in Jordan Martinook if they lose Joshua
-Zadorov is 6y/5m
-really surprised they aren't getting to Joshua's number; he's not at 4m
-UFAs are waiting for the Canucks to free up capspace
-has it on good authority that Zadorov wants to stay
-all their UFAs want to stay

I'm inferring Dhaliwal brought up Edmundson early in the show

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I missed the first couple minutes but here's what I heard from Dhaliwal on Donnie and Dhali this morning:

-Lindholm is gone
-doesn't think signing Guentzel is a slam dunk; Hurricanes trying really hard to re-sign him
-Zadorov is 6y/5m

6x5 isn’t surprising or the worst, but under $4M for Joshua is the surprising one. If he’s at like $3.5M I sign that all day.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

-Lindholm is gone
-Zadorov is 6y/5m

I'd do 6 years at $5M for Zadorov, but I might be in the minority there.

If it's true that Joshua is asking for something in the 3s, I'm also shocked the Canucks haven't met that ask. Totally worth it, IMO. And while Martinook is a character guy, he certainly wouldn't come close to replicating any of the offense that Joshua was providing, methinks.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Never a good sign when the agent is getting involved.
Agents for Boeser and Garland were both involved and it led to SFA. Unless Ruthervin move off of "not paying" to move him (or they find a $ in $ out trade that fills another hole) , he isn't going to move before the frenzy is over.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

I fully expect Guentzel to end up on Millers line within 20ish games if signed.

JT and Crosby, very similar play styles.

Reactions: thefeebster

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

-Lindholm is gone
-Zadorov is 6y/5m

Add a year to the Zadorov deal and the cap hit is like $4.25

Reactions: TruGr1t
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad