Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It’s way too early for anyone to know anything about where these negotiations will go.

I mean, can you blame Zadorov for chasing 6x6, and Lindholm and Hronek chasing 7x8? They'll likely get it, was what the Canucks Central guys were saying.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i wonder if the canucks are working an angle on the canes. they wanted guentzel really badly at the tdl. canes got him. canes cannot sign everyone. now guentzel is a ufa and the canucks now say they want necas really badly. are they maybe trying to fake the canes into overvaluing and extending necas and letting guentzel walk?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
When the Canucks say seeya to most of their now-too-expensive UFAs, I have no doubt some folks here will panic and invoke the ghost of 2020 offseason even though Allvin and Rutherford have a much better track record identifying supporting players than Jim f***ing Benning.

Not to mention the organization raked in tons of cash this offseason with 7 home playoff games (and in-arena watch parties for away games). In 2020, Franky turned the taps off to cheap out and try to weather covid losses.

Anyways bookmark this!

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s way too early for anyone to know anything about where these negotiations will go.
Yeah they probably know what the number is for each guy and if they are going to negotiate it means they want to get it done.
They should be calling around the league to get an idea what is available to trade and also which UFA is willing to come.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I mean, can you blame Zadorov for chasing 6x6, and Lindholm and Hronek chasing 7x8? They'll likely get it, was what the Canucks Central guys were saying.

I can see Zadorov and Lindholm getting those contacts but no way in hell anyone pays Hronek that much.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can see Zadorov and Lindholm getting those contacts but no way in hell anyone pays Hronek that much.

Montour is 30, and is expected to get over $7M AAV. He'll probably get it based on age. Most of the higher-end right-side defensemen available are on the wrong side of 30.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

There’s no team in the world that will pay Hronek 7x8. It’s a ridiculous ask that doesn’t line up with any other contract comparable.

Reactions: Hodgy and MS

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Joshua played like 3 good games the entire playoffs. Two of those were the game ones in each round.

I know Hughes didn’t put up a lot of points but he’s the only guy who wasn’t constantly hemmed and that was an anemic PP. On the first line, Suter couldn’t bury a chance. The Lindholm line struggled to control territory in most games. And yeah, we don’t need to mention the Pettersson line.

Zadorov was really bad at the tail end of R2. That fun haha battle with Kane turned into Kane being really good and Zadorov being pretty bad.

I know Blueger/PDG/Aman gave nothing offensively but they survived when hemmed and were responsible.

Astute post.

Your outline stands out because it's against the grain... which is surprising to me.

On balance, Joshua was poor in the playoffs. Zadorov imploded late, basic 4/5 utility in season, but somehow these are the players that made the team good in the first place? Hardly. They are complementary players at best. Short samples and unique skill sets don't change that fact.

Mikheyev: Is this regime's worst signing, but what are you really getting back for him? Going though the exercise, the best I could manage was Reilly Smith in return. At that point, just keep him and see if he bounces back.

In the larger sense, this team lost because they lack puck movers on the back end and scorers on the wings. They lacked talent. So people need to be less in love with the players that were here and push for player with talent. Forget big, or snarly, get players who can push the play forward.

On Talent: It doesn't go away. Other factors impede it or keep it dormant, but it's there (to reference a past discussion about Zaitsev (@Vector)). If you can find enough talent plays at the mid and low points of the roster, then you don't get stuck with an overpaid Mikheyev. Instead, they play into higher salaries over time. The Canucks need to employ and perfect that process here. They had a good start this past offseason.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i wonder if the canucks are working an angle on the canes. they wanted guentzel really badly at the tdl. canes got him. canes cannot sign everyone. now guentzel is a ufa and the canucks now say they want necas really badly. are they maybe trying to fake the canes into overvaluing and extending necas and letting guentzel walk?

nhl front office is a relationships game. teams don't do this because they'd be blackballed by the rest of the league. brian burke still never shuts up about kevin lowe and the dustin penner offer sheet

Reactions: Nomobo and Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There’s no team in the world that will pay Hronek 7x8. It’s a ridiculous ask that doesn’t line up with any other contract comparable.

Why? AFP has Montour at 6x$7.7M, and he's 30 years old. I could easily see someone going 6-7 x 8 on Hronek at 26.

Reactions: pitseleh

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Team's reservation about Hronek will be 'can he do it without Hughes?'

No one will think he's a true talent 50 points guy.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
people who dont think Hronek will make absolute fat bank does not understand hockey outside of watching the odd canucks game on tv.
He's young, right shot, not atrocious in his own zone and put up 48 points. Every other negative aspect you could bring forward is nuanced.
If he was a UFA right now, he'd get a long term deal at 8 or close to 8 mill.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Why? AFP has Montour at 6x$7.7M, and he's 30 years old. I could easily see someone going 6-7 x 8 on Hronek at 26.

There’s not a single comparable for Hronek anywhere near that number. It would be an unprecedented contract. Especially for a guy who had a lousy 2nd half, even if injured.

Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There’s not a single comparable for Hronek anywhere near that number. It would be an unprecedented contract. Especially for a guy who had a lousy 2nd half, even if injured.

Montour had a terrible year as well (33pts coming off something like 70pts). It's called asset scarcity. 40+ point, right-shot defensemen that can play ~20 minutes per night aren't available.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Astute post.

Your outline stands out because it's against the grain... which is surprising to me.

On balance, Joshua was poor in the playoffs. Zadorov imploded late, basic 4/5 utility in season, but somehow these are the players that made the team good in the first place? Hardly. They are complementary players at best. Short samples and unique skill sets don't change that fact.

Mikheyev: Is this regime's worst signing, but what are you really getting back for him? Going though the exercise, the best I could manage was Reilly Smith in return. At that point, just keep him and see if he bounces back.

In the larger sense, this team lost because they lack puck movers on the back end and scorers on the wings. They lacked talent. So people need to be less in love with the players that were here and push for player with talent. Forget big, or snarly, get players who can push the play forward.

On Talent: It doesn't go away. Other factors impede it or keep it dormant, but it's there (to reference a past discussion about Zaitsev (@Vector)). If you can find enough talent plays at the mid and low points of the roster, then you don't get stuck with an overpaid Mikheyev. Instead, they play into higher salaries over time. The Canucks need to employ and perfect that process here. They had a good start this past offseason.

To be clear I completely agree with this other than Zaitsev. I just see absolutely no upside with him and think there are better options.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Chychrun could be available based on past rumours and Ottawa’s current state. I think he would improve a lot under Tocchet and Foote. He’s not that far removed from almost being a PPG in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad