Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Okay? I’m not sure why you keep bringing up Montour. He’s not a comparable.

He is by far the most proximal comp anyone would use. He's a right-side offensive defenseman that had actually less points that Hronek last season and he's 30 years old. Take a look at what AFP comps they're using to get Montour to $7.7M AAV and you'll have your comps that Hronek will use.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
To be clear I completely agree with this other than Zaitsev. I just see absolutely no upside with him and think there are better options.

Talent doesn't go away Vector. He had his best years with TOR early, garnering mid-pair money. Injuries and going to consecutively worse teams has derailed his career. He is a textbook moneypuck move. That is, if he stays in NA (he likely won't).

Most other bottom pair options in FA have bottom pair ceilings. I'm curious if you see any with mid-pair upside? (please list)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He is by far the most proximal comp anyone would use. He's a right-side offensive defenseman that had actually less points that Hronek last season and he's 30 years old. Take a look at what AFP comps they're using to get Montour to $7.7M AAV and you'll have your comps that Hronek will use.

Per the bolder, please look at the pinned first post and go through my spreadsheet. You will then know that, I have looked extensively at AFP.

Montour is not a comparable because that is a contract prediction. Most recent comparables would be Forsling and Hanifin. Those aren’t perfect because both were due to be UFA but are close in age.

Reactions: Hodgy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Talent doesn't go away Vector. He had his best years with TOR early, garnering mid-pair money. Injuries and going to consecutively worse teams has derailed his career. He is a textbook moneypuck move. That is, if he stays in NA (he likely won't).

Most other bottom pair options in FA have bottom pair ceilings. I'm curious if you see any with mid-pair upside? (please list)

Talent…doesn’t go away? It absolutely does. Especially with age and injuries. His first season was really his only season that flashed skill and has been middling to bad ever since. 32 year old oft injured defencemen don’t suddenly play like they are 10 years younger.

I’ll look through the various lists later tonight and see who I can identify. Don’t have the time right this minute.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Per the bolder, please look at the pinned first post and go through my spreadsheet. You will then know that, I have looked extensively at AFP.

Montour is not a comparable because that is a contract prediction. Most recent comparables would be Forsling and Hanifin. Those aren’t perfect because both were due to be UFA but are close in age.

That's not what I'm saying, you're misunderstanding. Take the comps they used to get the Montour prediction, and you will have a good idea why Hronek thinks he's worth $8M AAV. He will use a series of the same comps. Whether you agree with it or not is entirely your own business.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The narrative that Joshua was good in the playoffs is baffling.

Other than Game 1 against Nashville, he did nothing.

Garland was much more impactful.

Think mgmt knows this and won’t pay him what he wants.

I expect him to land somewhere else in FA.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's not what I'm saying, you're misunderstanding. Take the comps they used to get the Montour prediction, and you will have a good idea why Hronek thinks he's worth $8M AAV. He will use a series of the same comps. Whether you agree with it or not is entirely your own business.

I know what you’re saying but don’t understand why Montour’s comps would affect Hronek.

Looking closer and comparing ages, Mackenzie Weegar is the only comparison that is the only one of Montour's that wasn't as a UFA. Weegar's was an extension and his was only 6.25m. It's also the most recent.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Chychrun could be available based on past rumours and Ottawa’s current state. I think he would improve a lot under Tocchet and Foote. He’s not that far removed from almost being a PPG in Arizona.
Ottawa is definitely a team to take advantage of. Chychrun on the right side for 4.6 million is a sight better than throwing more than that at Zadarov.

He's a UFA next season though, that's the risk.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ottawa is definitely a team to take advantage of. Chychrun on the right side for 4.6 million is a sight better than throwing more than that at Zadarov.

He’s a lefty.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

I would take Zadorov at $6mm over Chychrun. Considering the likely acquisition cost it's not even close.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
He’s a lefty.
He can play both sides and spent a fair amount of time playing the right side last season, although I’ve seen other posters on here mention how Tocchet doesn’t like left handed players playing the right side and vice versa.

Edit - I checked and at even strength he played 361 mins with Chabot (LD) and 151 mins with Sanderson (LD), so about 32% of the season playing RD.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I know what you’re saying but don’t understand why Montour’s comps would affect Hronek.

Looking closer and comparing ages, Mackenzie Weegar is the only comparison that is the only one of Montour's that wasn't as a UFA. Weegar's was an extension and his was only 6.25m. It's also the most recent.

There aren't going to be many recent for either. As far as I can recall, AFP is using Hronek comps from a while ago (Sergechev, OEL, Trouba) and Montour is like Hamilton, Weeger, and Carlson or something. Regardless, the system puts them at about exactly the same AAV range.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
hronek's arb case is dahlin, werenski, mcavoy, sergachev. all signed as rfas with arb rights. hronek isn't as good as any of them but he's not far off. i think he has a pretty good case for 8m

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
hronek's arb case is dahlin, werenski, mcavoy, sergachev. all signed as rfas with arb rights. hronek isn't as good as any of them but he's not far off. i think he has a pretty good case for 8m

He'd get well over $7M AAV minimum, probably around $7.5M on the low end, but yeah he could well see $8M. There was some discussion on the Canucks going short and kicking the can down the road, but the problem is he will still probably get a big, swacking AAV.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I would take Zadorov at $6mm over Chychrun. Considering the likely acquisition cost it's not even close.
He regressed last season and only has one year left on his contract until he’s a UFA. He was traded with 2.5 seasons left on his contract for a conditional 1st (top 5 protected otherwise it deferred to the next season) and two 2nd round picks. You’d think he’d now be worth about a late 1st + B prospect at the deadline.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
good thing you don't run the canucks
haha obviously fair. He's going to cost high end prospects/young players/picks and then you're going to have to pay through the nose to keep him (if he's even willing to stay). i also don't think he's that good a player....and doesn't fill a hole for us going forward.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He'd get well over $7M AAV minimum, probably around $7.5M on the low end, but yeah he could well see $8M. There was some discussion on the Canucks going short and kicking the can down the road, but the problem is he will still probably get a big, swacking AAV.

i'm talking about a possible arb award. i think it could be north of 8m but it'll only be one year. he'd probably sign for less if it came with term but also his agent is walsh so who knows. he might want the one year deal

haha obviously fair. He's going to cost high end prospects/young players/picks and then you're going to have to pay through the nose to keep him (if he's even willing to stay). i also don't think he's that good a player....and doesn't fill a hole for us going forward.

i mean i don't think the canucks should trade for him but he's much better than zadarov

Reactions: Chiripa20

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@credulous I don’t think he’d win an arbitration case of a 1-2 contract at 8m. The contracts put out there probably wouldn’t hold up as comparable given their length.

When was the last time a player like him even went to arbitration?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i'm talking about a possible arb award. i think it could be north of 8m but it'll only be one year. he'd probably sign for less if it came with term but also his agent is walsh so who knows. he might want the one year deal

i mean i don't think the canucks should trade for him but he's much better than zadarov

Yes got it, and I’d agree. A few media people have been trumpeting his $8M+ arb award for a while, he’s got a rare case and I could certainly also see it. Canucks won’t let him get there, though, I don’t think.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
@credulous I don’t think he’d win an arbitration case of a 1-2 contract at 8m. The contracts put out there probably wouldn’t hold up as comparable given their length.

When was the last time a player like him even went to arbitration?

they look at all rfa contracts, not just arb awards. the length of those contracts work against the canucks i think. the expectation is that you get less AAC with more term. those are all 6+ year contracts

the "good" comps for the canucks are dunn and theodore but theodore was way back in 2018 and dunn isn't even that good for them. they can't introduce players like weegar and forsling because those contracts were signed as ufas

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
With Willander coming up, is it really wise to spend 7.5 on Hronek? I think Soucy and Zadorov is a good top 4 choice. With that said any Hronek replacement would probably cost the same or 1 million dollar cheaper, it's really hard to get these top 4 D-men.

I'm pretty sure the Canucks are going to sign Tanev in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad