Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
marchessault might be available, won the conn smythe last year
It'll be interesting to see what happens in Vegas. They have a touch under 6M in (LTIR) cap space with Marchessault and Stephenson as UFAs.

Marchessault has already said publicly he'd like to return, but also that Vegas hasn't contacted him once this year about a new contract.

If we can't keep Lindholm and they hit free agency I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks go after both of them. But knowing Vegas they'll likely make some completely out of left field trade to free up cap space.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
There’s not a single comparable for Hronek anywhere near that number. It would be an unprecedented contract. Especially for a guy who had a lousy 2nd half, even if injured.

Vince Dunn
2022-23 - 64 points 81 games
$7.35 mil ... but only 4 years

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He PK’d more during his time in Arizona. All I am saying is his history does not indicate that he can’t pk. I’m not sure if he’s the right type of player to target, but there aren’t that many prime aged top 4 defencemen available who can play the right side. Chychrun is one. I premise this on the assumption that Hronek is gone though.
He really doesn't play the right side. Most of his time was spent with JBD or Hamonic (RHDs). In 22-23 and 21-22 in Arizona, he was nearly exclusively a LD.

I don't think Chychrun is that good either. Basically no interest in him. I don't like his play-style. More of an offense-first, shoot-first kinda guy. Led all Ottawa defensemen in shot rate. Don't think that's ideal honestly.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Hughes- Hronek
Zadorov - Soucy
Tanev - Myers
Willander

Wonder if we can resign Myers for cheap, he is definately a servicable #5 for cheap.
willander wont be ready until 1-2 years away.

hughes/hronek if not traded. if traded, pesce.
soucy/fa signing. like demelo/walker type.
dillon/juulson.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It'll be interesting to see what happens in Vegas. They have a touch under 6M in (LTIR) cap space with Marchessault and Stephenson as UFAs.

Marchessault has already said publicly he'd like to return, but also that Vegas hasn't contacted him once this year about a new contract.

If we can't keep Lindholm and they hit free agency I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks go after both of them. But knowing Vegas they'll likely make some completely out of left field trade to free up cap space.
Marchessault will be an interesting contract, wherever he signs. Still a very good player, but he'll be 34 in the calendar year. Wonder how much term would be needed.

Before this season I would've been really interested in Stephenson. But he really had a significant down year. His play-driving metrics, which are typically sterling, took a huge downgrade. He's 30 now, and his game is really dependent on skating, so what is worrisome could be an age-related athletic decline.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's basically 'do or die' for the Oilers tomorrow night. Can't see them overcoming a 1-3 deficit against a team as deep as the Stars.

I see the Oilers, led by McDavid, are complaining about the lack to PP's and penalties called in the playoffs. Well, welcome to the NHL playoffs. The inconvenient truth is that the Oilers have feasted on the PP all year long. When it comes to five-on-five play, they're not nearly as dangerous.

In the playoffs the Refs basically swallow their whistle. The cheap, borderline penalties, that get called during the regular season, simply disappear in the post-season. So if the team on the other side is outclassing you five-on-five, they're inevitably going to win.

Reactions: calnuck

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I was playing with some numbers last night, and really, in a lot of ways it makes sense to let both Zadorov and Lindholm walk... I was originally an advocate to sign them both, and I would still like to, but I really don't want to overpay...

If those guys walked there'd be far more money to throw around, especially if it's true that all of Tanev, Myers, and Dillon want to be here for reasonable discounts.

Tanev @ 4.5mil
Dillon @ 3mil
Myers @ 3mil
Joshua @ 3mil
Blueger @ 2mil
Hronek @ 7.25mil
Silovs @ 1mil (1 way, 2 years)
Mikheyev traded with a draft pick

XXX-Pettersson-Hoglander
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Garland-XXX-Joshua
Di Giuseppe-Blueger-Podkolzin
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Myers-Dillon
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

After putting together that line up we would still have 8mil to sign a top 6 forward and 3C which seems perfectly reasonable.

We could elect to sign Lindholm for 7mil, run Blueger at 3C, and Aman at 4C and make it work too if we wanted to. Or, we could bring Zadorov back at 5.5mil (or whatever he gets) but it would mean one of Myers / Dillon wasn't coming in and we'd only have 5.5mil for a top 6 forward and 3C (which is pretty tight).

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
My turn to embarrass myself with a roster.

I love that I have these big opinions about what the Canucks ought to do—and then you get to Capfriendly and realize how little room to maneuver/upgrade they actually have.

Big Themes:
  1. Vancouver is perceived as a real Stanley-Cup contender
    • Most of these signings (either for elite talent or for depth roles) don't happen if players don't believe in the role and opportunity ahead of them. This is where Jim Rutherford and his staff need to work their magic.
    • Without this belief, the Canucks probably don't have a shot at the elite talent listed below.

2. Prioritize elite talent in the top-six:
    • Theme:
      • This team will play like the Edmonton Oilers—heavy minutes for the top-six and sheltered minutes for the bottom-six.
    • Trade:
      • VAN: Necas, Kotkaniemi, Signing rights for Guentzel
        CAR: Hronek, Hoglander, Mikheyev, 1st Round Pick, 4th Round Pick
    • UFA:
      • Sign Guentzel to $68m contract (8Y x $8.5m using signing rights from CAR deal)
      • (optional) Sign a top-six caliber forward looking for a short-term veteran/redemption contract (examples: Oloffson, Arvidsson, Perron, Hoffman, Van Riemsdyk)

3. Deprioritize the third line:
    • Trade:
      • Unload Garland for a pick/project/prospect—try to take minimal money back
    • UFA:
      • Do not re-sign Lindholm
      • Do not re-sign Joshua
      • Sign 2-3 bottom-six forwards that can forecheck and have some PK upside

4. Prioritize a skilled defensemen to play with Hughes:
    • UFA:
      • Go aggressively after either Carrier or Walker to play alongside Hughes
      • Do not target Tanev for this role

5. Heavy defensemen on your bottom-two pairs:
    • UFA:
      • Do not re-sign Zadorov unless he comes in below $5m AAV
      • Sign Dillon to replace the Zadorov role for cheaper/less term
      • Re-sign Myers if he is willing to sign for $3m or less
      • Sign 1-2 depth defensemen as your 22nd/23rd roster spots

1716991143934.png

• Long-Term Outlook:
    • Assuming a $92m cap in the following season (2025-26), that will be a $4.3M cap increase—but for the Canucks it will only be a $2.4m cap increase due to the OEL buyout.
    • Pending UFA/RFAs in this scenario would be Boeser, Suter, Di Giuseppe, and Juulsen.
    • $2.4m is not enough space for four roster spots, let alone the raises those players would seek.
    • Most likely scenario is that Boeser walks as a UFA, you use his money to sign those depth roles, and you hope that Lekkerimaki is ready for a top-six role in 2025-26.

1716992005373.png

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I wonder if the Sabres would entertain a Clifton for Mikheyev swap. He's been pretty disappointing there, and they could use a possession driver in their forward group.

Of course the Sabres are probably on Mikheyev's NTC list.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I was playing with some numbers last night, and really, in a lot of ways it makes sense to let both Zadorov and Lindholm walk... I was originally an advocate to sign them both, and I would still like to, but I really don't want to overpay...

If those guys walked there'd be far more money to throw around, especially if it's true that all of Tanev, Myers, and Dillon want to be here for reasonable discounts.

Tanev @ 4.5mil
Dillon @ 3mil
Myers @ 3mil
Joshua @ 3mil
Blueger @ 2mil
Hronek @ 7.25mil
Silovs @ 1mil (1 way, 2 years)
Mikheyev traded with a draft pick

XXX-Pettersson-Hoglander
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Garland-XXX-Joshua
Di Giuseppe-Blueger-Podkolzin
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Myers-Dillon
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

After putting together that line up we would still have 8mil to sign a top 6 forward and 3C which seems perfectly reasonable.

We could elect to sign Lindholm for 7mil, run Blueger at 3C, and Aman at 4C and make it work too if we wanted to. Or, we could bring Zadorov back at 5.5mil (or whatever he gets) but it would mean one of Myers / Dillon wasn't coming in and we'd only have 5.5mil for a top 6 forward and 3C (which is pretty tight).
Love hearing Vancouver is a top destination with players willing to take a pay cut to live and play in Vancouver

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Marchessault will be an interesting contract, wherever he signs. Still a very good player, but he'll be 34 in the calendar year. Wonder how much term would be needed.

Before this season I would've been really interested in Stephenson. But he really had a significant down year. His play-driving metrics, which are typically sterling, took a huge downgrade. He's 30 now, and his game is really dependent on skating, so what is worrisome could be an age-related athletic decline.

Stephenson is someone I'd stay away from, personally. While he could have a bounce back, I think he's always been the product of playing much higher in the lineup than his talents warranted. Once they shifted him down, well... the end results speak for themselves. Now if he only signed for a cheaper 1-2 year deal, sure, anyone takes that gamble but he likely wants term.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Assistant Coaches:
-both caught off guard with Yeo leaving;Friedman under the impression that Yeo did a really good job for them
-when an assistant coach turns down a contract offer, usually that's because there's something else the coach is looking at
-lots of teams looking at Newell Brown (former Canucks assistant)

Canucks:
-a lot of balls in the hopper and are trying to figure out what they can and are going to do
-real optimism that they'll be able to work out something with Tyler Myers
-Myers really likes it here and Canucks want to keep him

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s been 5 days since the Necas/KK rumours.

You take away a playoff game every 2nd day from me - I expect daily rumours to overly discuss and get overly mad or optimistic about.

Rutherford leak something to Dhaliwal rn so we get some bangers in an hour

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Myers at something like 2.75M x 3 is definitely a discount I can see happening.

Every bit of cap helps us contend and if Myers is serious about staying and contending I could see him accepting.

Reactions: Szechwan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's my list "under-the-radar 3rd-pairing defencemen that would come cheap and have some amount of upside".

UFA:
Nick Blankenburg

Trade:
Jonathan Kovacevic

RFA: (require waivers)
Logan Stanley
Pierre-Olivier Joseph
Kaedan Korczak
Michael Kesselring

-Stanley and Joseph my not get qualified
-Korczak and Kesselring will but may get pushed out
-Kovacevic will be a popular target for a lot of teams and probably cost a lot more than many thing
-Blankenburg is one of the better defencemen on the Blue Jackets but he was an old, undersized, college signing competing against younger, high-pedigree but far worse performing players. He competes hard as hell and I've been impressed with him every time I see him

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
korczak would be a great get but i don't think he'll hit waivers. he's vegas's #7 guy as it stands and they'll need him after next year to replace theodore

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
korczak would be a great get but i don't think he'll hit waivers. he's vegas's #7 guy as it stands and they'll need him after next year to replace theodore

Agreed although the same thing was said about Pachal and he eventually hit waivers. As you say, I think it's far more likely they shed a defenceman and just keep Korczak on the roster. At the very least, he's someone to keep an eye on.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Here's my list "under-the-radar 3rd-pairing defencemen that would come cheap and have some amount of upside".

UFA:
Nick Blankenburg

Trade:
Jonathan Kovacevic

RFA: (require waivers)
Logan Stanley
Pierre-Olivier Joseph
Kaedan Korczak
Michael Kesselring

-Stanley and Joseph my not get qualified
-Korczak and Kesselring will but may get pushed out
-Kovacevic will be a popular target for a lot of teams and probably cost a lot more than many thing
-Blankenburg is one of the better defencemen on the Blue Jackets but he was an old, undersized, college signing competing against younger, high-pedigree but far worse performing players. He competes hard as hell and I've been impressed with him every time I see him
I'd be all for Blankenburg as depth.

Kesselring would be my ideal as part of a return package for Hronek. Hoping Utah is super aggressive to be good out the gate. But likely wishful thinking as there are lots of other options for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad