Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

My takeaway from this video clip is that Dhaliwal is saying the Canucks are actively trying to clear cap space before they commit to anyone (such as Zadorov).

The only signed player on the roster that I would put into a cap-clearing bucket is Garland. Perhaps Boeser? Perhaps it’s anticipating moving Hronek’s contract?

mik lol

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
6 of Joshua's points came in 2 games. That means he had 2 pts in the other 11.

There was just more expected TBH.

And it has nothing to do with wanting to dump him. It has everything to do with how much he wants and what he could get on the open market.

I could easily see him getting $4M AAV if he hits FA. That's much too rich to stay in Van.

So the real question is how much is Joshua willing to take to stay that also makes sense for mgmt.

Can't just cherry pick his best games like they didnt happen. Most players that put up a lot of points get them in clumps as well.

Let's also not forget this was his first playoff experience.

I know a Joshua contracts will be an overpay but I don't mind on a player his age and skillset to splurge a bit. He still has potential to get better which is also crazy. Sign this guy.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
6 of Joshua's points came in 2 games. That means he had 2 pts in the other 11.

There was just more expected TBH.

And it has nothing to do with wanting to dump him. It has everything to do with how much he wants and what he could get on the open market.

I could easily see him getting $4M AAV if he hits FA. That's much too rich to stay in Van.

So the real question is how much is Joshua willing to take to stay that also makes sense for mgmt.

This is literally how scoring works and you're just making my point for me.

JT Miller had 9 points in 4 games and 3 in the other 9.

If you were expecting Dakota Joshua - a league minimum 3rd liner - to score, like 5 or 6 points in those other 11 games in addition to scoring 6 points in the 2 wins he was the 1st star of ... you're basically asking him to produce like Connor McDavid at ES, and then being disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Middle-6 players aren't going to provide you consistent ES production that works out to 60+ ES points/82 games. That's literally superstar production. The fact that he scored 50 ES points/82 in the playoffs is *EXCEPTIONAL* and people are shitting on it because most of it was in a couple dominant games. It's absolutely insane. Dakota Joshua was one of our best players in the playoffs.

My takeaway from this video clip is that Dhaliwal is saying the Canucks are actively trying to clear cap space before they commit to anyone (such as Zadorov).

The only signed player on the roster that I would put into a cap-clearing bucket is Garland. Perhaps Boeser? Perhaps it’s anticipating moving Hronek’s contract?

Uh, Mikheyev.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah, for me the priority is adding a defender that lets the team run at least two defensive pairings with good puck movers.

The issue here is that ... Hronek is not a good puck mover! He's alright, but it's probably the biggest weakness in his game, as Dayal outlined at the time of the trade: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4278146/2023/03/06/filip-hronek-canucks-blue-line/

Him and Soucy were horrible together. Granted, it was in limited minutes. If this is the plan you need a higher end puck mover to play with Soucy. Eg, try and get a guy like Carrier and run something like

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Carrier
cheap guy-Myers
cheaper guy-Juulsen

I don't hate that, though if Hronek gets hurt you have no good candidates to play with Hughes.

Reactions: pitseleh

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hronek is a must sign.

People are dumping on him because of a long stretch of bad play but it's clear his wrist or hand was mangled up.

If you think Hronek's play from January is his norm I think a re-evaluate is a good idea. When we inevitably sign him you won't be so distraught about his contract.

I'm still against 8 years I like a 5 year deal but am expecting 6.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Here's my list "under-the-radar 3rd-pairing defencemen that would come cheap and have some amount of upside".

UFA:
Nick Blankenburg

Trade:
Jonathan Kovacevic

RFA: (require waivers)
Logan Stanley
Pierre-Olivier Joseph
Kaedan Korczak
Michael Kesselring

-Stanley and Joseph my not get qualified
-Korczak and Kesselring will but may get pushed out
-Kovacevic will be a popular target for a lot of teams and probably cost a lot more than many thing
-Blankenburg is one of the better defencemen on the Blue Jackets but he was an old, undersized, college signing competing against younger, high-pedigree but far worse performing players. He competes hard as hell and I've been impressed with him every time I see him
Stanley would be interesting but imagine thats why Dillon wont be back because WPG is looking to use some depth Stanley Samberg and Heinola more.

Korczak and Kesselring pushed out by whom? Doubt either are available for cheap same as you said regarding Kovacevic who MTL should be patient with.

Blankenberg is a feisty player who stands out. Would be an excellent depth target if available on the cheap. The way he plays and with his size it's gonna be hard to stay healthy though

and if Hronek isn't a puck mover than WTF is he? Just trade him sign a stop gap for a year and then sign Theodore a player who can help us win in the playoffs vs that weirdo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-Milstein not talking to the Canucks about an extension; rejected their offer before the playoffs
-Canucks are trying to clear money or sign other players first
-out there trying to clear capspace and make other moves
-not close with Joshua; not comfortable with 3m for him
-has heard the Canucks offer to Joshua is in the low 2m

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Perhaps unpopular opinion, but I would easily give up a lot term for a lower AAV. I feel that we have a 3 year contentian window with Hughes' contract. IMO, there is a huge risk that he would sign with NJ in free agency after his contract is done here.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
and if Hronek isn't a puck mover than WTF is he? Just trade him sign a stop gap for a year and then sign Theodore a player who can help us win in the playoffs vs that weirdo

he's a decent puck carrier but he can't make plays under pressure so he's unreliable when it comes to moving the puck

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
-Milstein not talking to the Canucks about an extension; rejected their offer before the playoffs

That's a pretty big difference in opinion on contract for Joshua. Fortunately, Allvin said he can "find the next Joshua."

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Perhaps unpopular opinion, but I would easily give up a lot term for a lower AAV. I feel that we have a 3 year contentian window with Hughes' contract. IMO, there is a huge risk that he would sign with NJ in free agency after his contract is done here.

can't manage scared. besides, if you're worried about losing hughes in three years then you want to commit as little as possible to the post hughes years so you can reset quickly

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like moving Poolman and Mikhayev are the priorities right now maybe Pettersson Hronek too if they are looking to add cap space and dont like the contracts going forward.

Gotta like this teams set of priorities where 1 and 2 moves effects the next set and plans unlike the maniac from years past who would just sign and secure without a fiscal plan then try and off load to no avail and be stuck in cap hell

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
can't manage scared. besides, if you're worried about losing hughes in three years then you want to commit as little as possible to the hughes years so you can reset quickly

Not saying to manage scared, but say if you think Joshua would put you over the top then give him 6y x 2.5M vs 3y x 4M (extreme example).

I think we are close, and may not get another Hughes for another 50 years so should definitely go for it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is going to be a huge mistake on Joshua.

Reactions: God

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
he's a decent puck carrier but he can't make plays under pressure so he's unreliable when it comes to moving the puck
agree which is why they should be shopping him and probably are. Just dont see the IQ myself of a good 1st pair defender even though he has the athleticism and skill to pull it off

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The issue here is that ... Hronek is not a good puck mover! He's alright, but it's probably the biggest weakness in his game, as Dayal outlined at the time of the trade: Top-pair upside? Why Filip Hronek will give the Canucks’ blue line a massive upgrade

Him and Soucy were horrible together. Granted, it was in limited minutes. If this is the plan you need a higher end puck mover to play with Soucy. Eg, try and get a guy like Carrier and run something like

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Carrier
cheap guy-Myers
cheaper guy-Juulsen

I don't hate that, though if Hronek gets hurt you have no good candidates to play with Hughes.

Interesting. Curious what his numbers looked like this year. He didn’t seem to have the same issues but maybe that was because playing with Hughes gave him extra time and space.

Reactions: Vector

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

He's a high-end two-way defenseman. He's good offensively, a good cycle stopper with a smart stick, skates well with the puck, ispositionally sound, he just doesn't make the best passes under pressure. It is what it is.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
\
Interesting. I think I'd be okay with Joshua at 3M, anything higher gets dicey.

Either this is all posturing or the team seems to really only want to pay up for core players and then go budget for depth which I 100% agree with.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is going to be a huge mistake on Joshua.

If this management has an Achilles' heel it's going to be hubris. They seem dead convinced they can just go out and find another Joshua.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That is....quite bizarre on Joshua. Like for me, $3M AAV is totally fine on a 3 or 4 year deal. Joshua is a "premium" 3rd liner now and that's probably still a surplus value contract. He'd get more in open UFA.

I get that they are negotiations, but $2M is really a bananas number. There is no way he is signing for that. Unless they come up a lot, there's not really any way they'll keep him.

Reactions: God
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad