Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
they look at all rfa contracts, not just arb awards. the length of those contracts work against the canucks i think. the expectation is that you get less AAC with more term. those are all 6+ year contracts

the "good" comps for the canucks are dunn and theodore but theodore was way back in 2018 and dunn isn't even that good for them. they can't introduce players like weegar and forsling because those contracts were signed as ufas
Dunn isn’t even that good? He scored 64 averaging 24 min while being a RHD. He is the closest comp to Hronek.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He regressed last season and only has one year left on his contract until he’s a UFA. He was traded with 2.5 seasons left on his contract for a conditional 1st (top 5 protected otherwise it deferred to the next season) and two 2nd round picks. You’d think he’d now be worth about a late 1st + B prospect at the deadline.
Some would probably say this was a bounce back season since he didn't miss time and produced offensively. People will dismiss the dash 30 as him just being on a shit team even if no other Sens defender was even close to that bad. He's just not a great defender who doesn't PK and the offence he brings is not worth the acquisition/retention cost. Like whatever you're contemplating spending on him might get you someone more useful (Adam Larsson for example). Or you can sign Tanev. or other RHD that can actually defend.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Dunn isn’t even that good? He scored 64 averaging 24 min while being a RHD. He is the closest comp to Hronek.

plays less minutes, doesn't kill penalties, plays on a losing team

With Willander coming up, is it really wise to spend 7.5 on Hronek? I think Soucy and Zadorov is a good top 4 choice. With that said any Hronek replacement would probably cost the same or 1 million dollar cheaper, it's really hard to get these top 4 D-men.

I'm pretty sure the Canucks are going to sign Tanev in the off season.

willander isn't a sure thing. they also can't really afford to wait around for him even if he were a sure thing. they need to be competitive now

Reactions: Nick Lang

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Talent…doesn’t go away? It absolutely does. Especially with age and injuries. His first season was really his only season that flashed skill and has been middling to bad ever since. 32 year old oft injured defencemen don’t suddenly play like they are 10 years younger.

I’ll look through the various lists later tonight and see who I can identify. Don’t have the time right this minute.

Regarding Talent: Well the context is within the NHL window, and Zaitsev has not aged out yet. He's only 32.

He's looking back at early seasons of mid-pairing play, while most bottom pair Dmen this offseason will be looking up at that marker, never having achieved it before.

2016-17: 3rd in EV TOI/GP (1st in TOI)
2017-18: 2nd in EV TOI/GP
2018-19: 4th in EV TOI/GP (2nd in TOI)
2019-20: 2nd in EV TOI/GP (3rd in TOI)
2020-21: 2nd in EV TOI/GP (2nd in TOI)
2021-22: 7th in EV TOI/GP (4th in TOI)

That last season is where he dipped in his EV TOI/GP while still finishing 4th in overall EV TOI. The next year, he gets traded to CHI and they draft 1st overall. Terrible team. Meaning, there have been 5 seasons where he was clearly a top4 Dman, another where it was arguable (2021-22), and then in the tank for the last 2. Worth a Juulsen type spare Dman look? To me, without a shadow of a doubt.

Edit: At $775k~, if he doesn't work out, bury him in the minors. No loss.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
plays less minutes, doesn't kill penalties, plays on a losing team

willander isn't a sure thing. they also can't really afford to wait around for him even if he were a sure thing. they need to be competitive now
I think arb looks at the case at the year the contract was awarded, not after.
Dunn when he got his contract, Seattle was in the playoffs and he played 1st pairing minutes putting up more points.
I am not sure pk min > 16 point difference.

isn't he a LHD
Oh somehow I thought he was right handed

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hughes- Hronek
Zadorov - Soucy
Tanev - Myers
Willander

Wonder if we can resign Myers for cheap, he is definately a servicable #5 for cheap.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hughes- Hronek
Zadorov - Soucy
Tanev - Myers
Willander

Wonder if we can resign Myers for cheap, he is definately a servicable #5 for cheap.
almost certainly. but why do you have two lefties playing with each other and two righties playing with each other?

If we end up with Kotkaniemi can we all agree not to be dumb like Habs fans and nickname him "KK"?

Jesperi Kotkaniemi should not = KK in any sane universe.
it's just lazy spelling.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Some would probably say this was a bounce back season since he didn't miss time and produced offensively. People will dismiss the dash 30 as him just being on a shit team even if no other Sens defender was even close to that bad. He's just not a great defender who doesn't PK and the offence he brings is not worth the acquisition/retention cost. Like whatever you're contemplating spending on him might get you someone more useful (Adam Larsson for example). Or you can sign Tanev. or other RHD that can actually defend.
He was PKing throughout the season. And I think we can afford both Chychrun and Tanev in terms of cap, depending on who we choose to keep.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If we end up with Kotkaniemi can we all agree not to be dumb like Habs fans and nickname him "KK"?

Jesperi Kotkaniemi should not = KK in any sane universe.
Kokainiemi or Koke for short

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He was PKing throughout the season. And I think we can afford both Chychrun and Tanev in terms of cap, depending on who we choose to keep.
he had 18 minutes of PK time. couple dozen shifts. For all intents and purposes, he didn't kill penalties. Sure, we could afford him if we don't re-sign Zadorov or pursue Dillon in free agency. I just don't think it makes sense to target him considering our other needs and limited cap space/trade assets to meet them.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It’s way too early for anyone to know anything about where these negotiations will go.

All speculation at this point. But contract negotiation skills are huge in the cap era, a shrewd GM signing a great deal can turn a decent player into a great asset whereas an incompetent GM overpaying for the same player turns him into a bad asset and hence a liability. Even 500k over vs 500k under makes a big difference. Everyone on your 4th line should ideally be making league minimum.

Reactions: credulous

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
he had 18 minutes of PK time. couple dozen shifts. For all intents and purposes, he didn't kill penalties. Sure, we could afford him if we don't re-sign Zadorov or pursue Dillon in free agency. I just don't think it makes sense to target him considering our other needs and limited cap space/trade assets to meet them.
He PK’d more during his time in Arizona. All I am saying is his history does not indicate that he can’t pk. I’m not sure if he’s the right type of player to target, but there aren’t that many prime aged top 4 defencemen available who can play the right side. Chychrun is one. I premise this on the assumption that Hronek is gone though.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He PK’d more during his time in Arizona. All I am saying is his history does not indicate that he can’t pk. I’m not sure if he’s the right type of player to target, but there aren’t that many prime aged top 4 defencemen available who can play the right side. Chychrun is one. I premise this on the assumption that Hronek is gone though.
Fair enough. Hopefully they’re able to get Hronek extended at a number that isn’t horrible and this will all be moot.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

kokanee-15-cans.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad