Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If I were Allvin, I’d be smart to ask for Necas and Morrow. That’s how you make sense of trading a top RHD, by getting two assets back.

And I think there was a reason Carolina dismissed their GM so quickly after the playoffs. Dundon wants management to be more aggressive, and the team more offensive. So throw the whole “they didn’t trade him during the deadline, so they won’t trade them now” argument out the window.
I don't think the following reason you give has anything to do with it. Everyone knows Tulsky was the de facto GM, and Waddell was more-or-less the PR guy who could also rub shoulders with the OBC. Waddell left of his own accord, likely because he wanted a more legit job title/responsibilities and a pay raise, which Dundon wasn't going to give him.

All that said, I don't see any kind of Hronek/Necas trade as plausible. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think the following reason you give has anything to do with. Everyone knows Tulsky was the de facto GM, and Waddell was more-or-less the PR guy who could also rub shoulders with the OBC. Waddell left of his own accord, likely because he wanted a more legit job title/responsibilities and a pay raise, which Dundon wasn't going to give him.

All that said, I don't see any kind of Hronek/Necas trade as plausible. It's not going to happen.

Additionally, Waddell's contract had run out and this wasn't the thirst time they've flirted with him leaving the organization.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I would be targeting Tanner Jeannot as a low cost bounce back guy.

Shouldn’t be more than a 4th. Give the Canucks some much needed size and toughness.

1. Resign Joshua 5 years 3.5 million. Extra year get it done.
2. Have to bring back Zadorov, was so good and bring swagger and toughness. I would go extra year bring down aav. 6 years 5.3 million
3. Trade Hronek, can’t sign him for more than Hughes is making. Was below average in the last half and playoffs.
4. Sign Tanev and Matt Roy. Boost the right side, Hughes get elite partner
5. Sign Sam Reinhart 7 years 9.5 million. EP gets elite winger
6. Set Hoglander free, coach doesn’t like him. Needs to go some where he can spread his wings.
7. Buy out Mikeyev. 1 goal 60 game. Useless.
8. Resign Blueger, Myers
I like a lot of this post. Does it fit under the cap?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Necas and Hronek's rumoured 8m asks are ridiculous. There are no comparables and neither have a long history of production that would even come close to supporting that.
Exactly. It's agents trying to talk their numbers up, as agents are (justifiably) going to do. It's their job.

The comps don't support them being in the $8M range. Hronek will settle in the 7s. Necas will settle around 7 or just under.

Reactions: arttk and Vector

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
There’s no way the Rangers ask was that little. If he was, he’d be in VAN. VAN had interest as recently as this past summer
Jesus Christ. Where did he read that rumor? On the bathroom wall at the American?

Yeah the Rangers were going to take a 2nd for Lafreniere. Sure they were.

‘Someone said it so it must be legit’

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I like a lot of this post. Does it fit under the cap?

With the numbers given, that would leave 12.58m in cap space to be split between Tanev, Roy, Myers, and Blueger.

AFP has the following:

Tanev - 3y/4.67m
Roy - 5y/5.82m
Myers - 2y/3.16m
Blueger - 2y/2.17m

Those combined is 15.82 which now pushes them above the cap. Also, Reinhart is projected for over 11m so good chance 9.5m is too low.

This is for only a 20/23 man roster.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Kotkaniemi is a 23 year old centre with an established NHL floor of 15-20g/30-40pts. He has size and a little bit of grit. Independent of his draft position and the offer sheet thing, he has significant value as a 3rd line C. If he doesn't improve at all over the next 2 years, $4.8M is a little expensive but not outrageous. It's still possible he can be a 2nd line centre or at least a really good 2 way 3rd line centre. If that happens, $4.8M will be cheap.
The is all fancy but untrue.

Basically the NHL pays forwards by position and by points.

The formulae is known: 10 points per million US dollars.

For a player like Kotkaniemi that makes basically 5M per year, he has to produce 50 points to approximate his salary.

Based on his current output Kotkaniemi is grossly overpaid.

If Carolina is flogging him off, they bet he never will be a 50 point player; the team acquiring him is making the opposite bet.

• Haha
Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The is all fancy but untrue.

Basically the NHL pays forwards by position and by points.

The formulae is known: 10 points per million US dollars.

For a player like Kotkaniemi that makes basically 5M per year has to produce 50 points to approximate his salary.

Based on his current output Kotkaniemi is grossly overpaid.

If Carolina is flogging him off, they bet he never will be a 50 point player; the team acquiring him is making the opposite bet.

It's amazing how you can just make up whatever you want and treat it like fact.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Exactly. It's agents trying to talk their numbers up, as agents are (justifiably) going to do. It's their job.

The comps don't support them being in the $8M range. Hronek will settle in the 7s. Necas will settle around 7 or just under.
The only ppl who would pay what the agent suggests is Benning

Reactions: timw33

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I still fail to see why Carolina would do that trade? The only reason we would trade Hronek is if his contract demand is unreasonable. For a team that is as fiscally conservative as the Canes, why would they want the pleasure to overpay for a guy that never played for their team before? How would that affect their team's cap structure going forward? Not to mention taking a cap dump in Mikheyev that still have 2 seasons left, for a contending team why would that be attractive?

They are better off selling Necas for futures (if nobody offers any "now" pieces), then flip those futures into "now" pieces.

No doubt. Why on earth would Carolina take a Mikheyev cap dump? Totally goes against their philosophy ... and they're not stupid either.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No doubt. Why on earth would Carolina take a Mikheyev cap dump? Totally goes against their philosophy ... and they're not stupid either.
It’s always dependent on how desperate a team is to move on. If their final conclusion is that he’s a liability who they think tops out as a 3.25 million dollar player, and they want out at all costs, maybe taking a short term larger liability makes sense for them.

Who knows. I also think Mikheyev is a far more interesting bounce back case for a buying team who throws him on a 3rd line role and really load manages him as things go. We are only 6 months removed from him being among the ES goal leaders in the NHL.

My thought is Hoglander is a part of any trade package going on between the teams.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Kakko sounds unhappy.

Reclamation project?
It's kind of eerie how similar he is to Kotkaniemi minus the long-term contract.

Pretty much same height and weight, 1 year of age difference, 2nd overall vs 3rd overall, from Finland, had a career high of 18 goals and ~40 points last year but offensive production dropped again this season :laugh:

fins.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I feel like if VAN was high on Kakko, we would have heard those rumours at some point over the years when Schneider & Lafraniere were clearly mentioned. Kakko never came up in any capacity.

Speaking of Schneider, uh, that’s going to be a tough one for NYR to fit on the books next year. Or not on second look, but Lindgren needs 5 million and term this summer and K’Andre’s bridge ends next year. So at some point, they will need to make a sacrifice somewhere

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Biggest Team Need: Puck retrievers who can also be a net front presence. Too many perimeter players on the team just coasting, need more tenacity and bite up front, need gritty forwards with that dog in em to get to the dirty areas consistently, forwards that play brutally hard and win board battles, ferocious puck retrievers who don’t let defenders clear the puck or exit the zone and make them pay.

We were short our star goalie & didn’t have our best goal scorer in game 7 or we’d likely be in the WCF, we shouldn’t drastically change the team just need to solidify it. We need to add 1 really solid player upfront assuming we keep Lindholm & Joshua, we should consider trading Hronek to strengthen the top 9.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Puck Retrieving Monster
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Di Giuseppe-Aman-Mikheyev
Podkolzin/Karlsson/Bains/Lekkerimaki

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
It’s always dependent on how desperate a team is to move on. If their final conclusion is that he’s a liability who they think tops out as a 3.25 million dollar player, and they want out at all costs, maybe taking a short term larger liability makes sense for them.

Who knows. I also think Mikheyev is a far more interesting bounce back case for a buying team who throws him on a 3rd line role and really load manages him as things go. We are only 6 months removed from him being among the ES goal leaders in the NHL.

My thought is Hoglander is a part of any trade package going on between the teams.

Yeah it's possible I suppose. Carolina is notoriously stingy though. I don't think I've ever seen them take on a cap dump before. On the other hand I guess they haven't had a KK before either and maybe they do think Mik can fit into the their grinding, checking style. He does seem to fit into the Roddy Brind'amour style. It'll be hard to give up Hogs though. He's one of our biggest value players allowing us to get under the cap.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
With all the rumours of Guentzel & Necas rumoured to Vancouver, means Hronek will likely be moved for picks/prospects.

If you could choose 2 out of these 3 who would you take? Lindholm, Necas, Guentzel?

The Canucks probably won’t be able to ice all 3 (unless they do something with the Mikheyev contract).

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I feel like if VAN was high on Kakko, we would have heard those rumours at some point over the years when Schneider & Lafraniere were clearly mentioned. Kakko never came up in any capacity.

Speaking of Schneider, uh, that’s going to be a tough one for NYR to fit on the books next year. Or not on second look, but Lindgren needs 5 million and term this summer and K’Andre’s bridge ends next year. So at some point, they will need to make a sacrifice somewhere

I've idly wondered about a Hoglander-for-Schneider swap. Or just a $4.2M offer sheet (2nd round pick).

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Thoughts on adding a guy like Ondrej Kase? He's apparently going to attempt an NHL comeback next season, and would likely only need a near league minimum contract...so could be easily sent down if things don't workout.

Great skater with good skill + two-way ability, but has been injury prone in the past (missed basically the whole 22/23 season). Had a great year in Czechia, and was a key contributor on their WC team. Has averaged 0.48PPG in his NHL career (18G 21A 39Pts/82GP).

Reactions: Nuckles

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thoughts on adding a guy like Ondrej Kase? He's apparently going to attempt an NHL comeback next season, and would likely only need a near league minimum contract...so could be easily sent down if things don't workout.

Great skater with good skill + two-way ability, but has been injury prone in the past (missed basically the whole 22/23 season). Had a great year in Czechia, and was a key contributor on their WC team. Has averaged 0.48PPG in his NHL career (18G 21A 39Pts/82GP).

Training camp invite.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks Central certainly talking like all of Hronek, Zadorov and Lindholm could well be gone, since they'll all go for max term and AAV due to their age., which the Canucks won't pay.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Canucks Central certainly talking like all of Hronek, Zadorov and Lindholm could well be gone, since they'll all go for max term and AAV due to their age., which the Canucks won't pay.

Yeah it sounds like the atmosphere surrounding those three are not promising at all.

Not super worried, I trust our management to make their decisions to improve the team.

Wow now I can actually say that with a straight face and not start convulsing violently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad