Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m not even a big Hronek fan and I know pdo is a meme but the guy started the season off getting pretty luck so he was bound to have a slow 2nd half, especially if he was playing through an arm/elbow injury. This reminds me of Nick Bonino’s season before he got traded.

He’s still a pretty good player, his season should be looked at as a whole, not cherry picking parts of it.

Reactions: pitseleh

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
My expectation is that Zadorov's want is more about term than the higher annual $ number. I can't point to one particular report in the media, just my brain consolidating all of the noise out there. My guess is that he'll settle for around $20M total value. Whether that's 4x$5M or 5x$4M is part of the negotiation. I'm also guessing he'll be asking for $25M total to start.

Reactions: vancityluongo

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
But how do you pay a player 7M+ when their production tapered off to approximately nothing?
1. He was injured. Everyone can see it. Hronek's hand or wrist has been injured for some time. He took like 1 slapshot over the entire playoffs (game 7 vs. EDM) and couldn't really stickhandle.

2. By being reasonable. He was never as good as people thought he was over the first half of the season. He is not as bad as she showed over the back half.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
it's not even close to one of the worst contracts in the league

kotkaniemi has similar ES production to elias lindholm, nicolas roy, pld, alex wennberg, barclay goodrow, adam lowry...

his contract is a little on the high side but he's not unplayable. he's one of the better 3cs in the league at the very least. in a couple years his contract will probably look like a steal even if he doesn't improve

I mean at the very least it a great gamble because his buyout is so easy. its a very good gamble to take.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Kotkaniemi is a 23 year old centre with an established NHL floor of 15-20g/30-40pts. He has size and a little bit of grit. Independent of his draft position and the offer sheet thing, he has significant value as a 3rd line C. If he doesn't improve at all over the next 2 years, $4.8M is a little expensive but not outrageous. It's still possible he can be a 2nd line centre or at least a really good 2 way 3rd line centre. If that happens, $4.8M will be cheap.

Reactions: credulous

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people that want necas so bad, he wants to sign a long term deal at around 8 Million per year.

This is bonkers, Hoglander had the same number as goals, I like the player but giving up a fortune for somebody who scored 20 goals a few times and a 70 point season is a massive risk.

Unless its a 1-1 like Hronek where it makes sense cap wise, anything more is kinda crazy

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
For people that want necas so bad, he wants to sign a long term deal at around 8 Million per year.

This is bonkers, Hoglander had the same number as goals, I like the player but giving up a fortune for somebody who scored 20 goals a few times and a 70 point season is a massive risk.

Unless its a 1-1 like Hronek where it makes sense cap wise, anything more is kinda crazy

8m is going to be the going rate for a 60 point forward in a year or two

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I am not really seeing the basis of Hronek for Necas as good value - Hronek is an established top 4 RHD (and potentially valued as a #2). Hopefully Allvin has his sights a bit higher than Necas or finds a similar player but younger and cost controlled.
If I were Allvin, I’d be smart to ask for Necas and Morrow. That’s how you make sense of trading a top RHD, by getting two assets back.

And I think there was a reason Carolina dismissed their GM so quickly after the playoffs. Dundon wants management to be more aggressive, and the team more offensive. So throw the whole “they didn’t trade him during the deadline, so they won’t trade them now” argument out the window.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser

Yeah, not a fan of acquiring Necas at all. I think what we've seen out of him is what he is. I don't think he's due for some miraculous improvement on what he is, and the season before last could very well be his best. 71 in 82 is impressive, no doubt, but I don't think that's what he is as a player long term.

If the Canes thought he was a 70 point guy going forward I doubt they make him available.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks will never win the cup with this forward core and how they play. We are probably one of the worst transition teams in the NHL and scoring out of the rush. Garland's line probably the only line that can create off the rush for us right now because they play with pace and speed.

We desperately need someone like Necas or Ehlers in our top 6 to help our offence. If we can add that element to our offence it can unlock us to a new level.

Pettersson and Boeser are weak skaters, Miller is decent but he is more force than explosive. Our forward group as a whole is one dimensional, easy to contain in the playoffs. We need SPEED. Gamebreaker

Necas would be a perfect fit. I think he has been underutilized in Carolina much like Miller was in Tampa.

As much as id like to keep Hronek, Id be willing to move him for Necas/Ehlers if we can for sure get someone like Pesce or Tanev in Free agency.

Duclair- Miller- Boeser
Hoglander- Ep40- Necas
Joshua-Stepehenson-Garland
Podz- Suter- PDG
Aman

Hughes-Pesce
Soucy-Myers
Dillon- Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Let them walk: Lindholm, Zadorov, Lafferty, Desmith, Bleuger

Trade: Necas for Hronek as the core trade pieces

Sign UFA: Pesce, Duclair, Dillon, Stephenson

*The backend will probably need another puck moving Dman and an upgrade on Juulsen. We can deal with that at the trade deadline *

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2024 Playoff Performance

1. Miller
  2. Boeser
  3. Garland
  4. Lindholm
  5. Zadorov
  6. Silovs
  7. Myers
  8. Soucy
  9. Joshua
  10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Hronek
13. Blueger
14. Di Giuseppe
15. Hoglander
16. Pettersson
17. Cole
18. Aman

19. Lafferty
20. Juulsen
21. Mikheyev

N/A: Podkolzin/Karlsson

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Joshua played like 3 good games the entire playoffs. Two of those were the game ones in each round.

I know Hughes didn’t put up a lot of points but he’s the only guy who wasn’t constantly hemmed and that was an anemic PP. On the first line, Suter couldn’t bury a chance. The Lindholm line struggled to control territory in most games. And yeah, we don’t need to mention the Pettersson line.

Zadorov was really bad at the tail end of R2. That fun haha battle with Kane turned into Kane being really good and Zadorov being pretty bad.

I know Blueger/PDG/Aman gave nothing offensively but they survived when hemmed and were responsible.

2024 Playoff Performance

1. Miller
  2. Boeser
  3. Garland
  4. Lindholm
  5. Zadorov
  6. Silovs
  7. Myers
  8. Soucy
  9. Joshua
  10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Hronek
13. Blueger
14. Di Giuseppe
15. Hoglander
16. Pettersson
17. Cole
18. Aman

19. Lafferty
20. Juulsen
21. Mikheyev

N/A: Podkolzin/Karlsson

Blueger 2 years / 2.0
Myers 3 years / 3.5
Joshua 6 years / 2.5 (have to sacrifice term for salary on this one)
Pray somebody from the farm impresses in camp to make the team.
Too much for Myers and too little for Joshua. The reports are that he’s going to get a lot more than that in UFA.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Blueger 2 years / 2.0
Myers 3 years / 3.5
Joshua 6 years / 2.5 (have to sacrifice term for salary on this one)
Pray somebody from the farm impresses in camp to make the team.
Also can make it work by signing Dillon at 3 instead of Zadorov

Yeah, not a fan of acquiring Necas at all. I think what we've seen out of him is what he is. I don't think he's due for some miraculous improvement on what he is, and the season before last could very well be his best. 71 in 82 is impressive, no doubt, but I don't think that's what he is as a player long term.

If the Canes thought he was a 70 point guy going forward I doubt they make him available.
I think the biggest thing Necas can offer is zone entry. We have like 2 -3 guys that can do that right now and we need more. Having Guentzel and Necas would improve that part by a lot.

Reactions: Peen

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks will never win the cup with this forward core and how they play. We are probably one of the worst transition teams in the NHL and scoring out of the rush.

Canucks were 4th in goals for off the rush in 2023-2024 (279 goals). We are one of the best rush teams in the NHL but need to do a better job of scoring more greasy playoff type of goals from sustained zone pressure.

Which Team Leads The NHL With Goals Off The Rush | StatMuse

The fact is rush goals drastically decrease in the playoffs as teams tighten up defensively and don’t allow many odd man rushes. Goals coming from offensive zone play are much more common (turnover, defensive breakdown, deflection, rebound, point shot through traffic, quick backdoor or slot pass). This is an area the Canucks need to improve upon.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

The $8 million aav for Necas makes no sense to me. I know evolving hockey has him at $8.75 x 8 years which is crazy imo. There are no comparables for Necas or Hronek at $8 million. AFP has him $7.5 for 7 years which is still a tad high for me. I would be at $7-7.25 million for 7 years.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Necas and Hronek's rumoured 8m asks are ridiculous. There are no comparables and neither have a long history of production that would even come close to supporting that.
We should target Guentzel instead

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The only way I add Kotkaniemi is in a trade straight up for Ilya Mikheyev.

Why?

Mikhayev has a very good chance of bouncing back next year and being way more valuable that Kotkaniemi, At worst Mikhayev's contract is done in 2 years whereas Kotkaniemi has like 6 yrs to go.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Canucks were 4th in goals for off the rush in 2023-2024 (279 goals). We are one of the best rush teams in the NHL but need to do a better job of scoring more greasy playoff type of goals from sustained zone pressure.

The fact is rush goals drastically decrease in the playoffs as teams tighten up defensively and don’t allow many odd man rushes. Goals coming from offensive zone play are much more common (turnover, defensive breakdown, deflection, rebound, point shot through traffic, quick backdoor or slot pass). This is an area the Canucks need to improve upon.

That link is showing total GF, not just GF off the rush.

Reactions: Vector

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Necas and Hronek's rumoured 8m asks are ridiculous. There are no comparables and neither have a long history of production that would even come close to supporting that.
Have to think that Necas is going to get a comparable cap% to what Anaheim gave Troy Terry last summer. maybe a little more based on the possibility that he can play centre. All the $8MM talk for either him or Hronek is just bluster. I doubt either agent actually expects to get their client that number. I suspect both players will start long term contracts next fall earning slightly more than $7MM.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

That link is showing total GF, not just GF off the rush.

The Colorado Avalanche got the most goals by a team this season, with 302 scored.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad