Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
CapFriendly's mock team builder is such a great tool. You really get a sense of how screwed we are trying to retain everybody. :help:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
i think kotkaniemi is actually on a pretty fair contract and still has upside

Kotkaniemi's contract is currently one of the worst in the league. He may actually underperform his salary for the duration of the contract which is 5 more years and it is a significant risk assuming he will turn it around.

However, there was a rumour that the Rangers were looking for a 2nd for Lafreniere 2 years ago but there were no takers so players do turn it around.

The likely reason Kotkaniemi is linked to Necas in trades is that Carolina is a hard analytics team and they realize the risk Kotkaniemi's contract represents and want to flog Kotkaniemi's contract now and linking it to a Necas deal is the most prudent way to do it.

However, if the trade is reasonable it should be worth considering it but unless you are playing Kotkaniemi on left wing or as the 4th line centre it means they aren't bringing Lindholm back and if they acquire Kotkaniemi and resign Lindholm they probably aren't bringing Blueger back unless one of them plays the wing.

Cap space may prohibit any of these moves unless they create a Robidas Island near Tofino on the Wet Coast.

Interesting to watch.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 10.50.56 AM.png

9M to fill like 4 spots. faster and more skilled top 6

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
They just got Aquilini to pay $19.3 million to buyout OEL. Good luck asking him to pay another $10 million in dead money. Even if it spread over a long period of time.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Mikheylev would likely be included in any deal bringing Kotkaniemi to Your Vancouver Canucks.

Mikheylev's contract is still not worse than Kotkaniemi's contract simply because it is shorter.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Kotkaniemi's contract is currently one of the worst in the league. He may actually underperform his salary for the duration of the contract which is 5 more years and it is a significant risk assuming he will turn it around.

it's not even close to one of the worst contracts in the league

kotkaniemi has similar ES production to elias lindholm, nicolas roy, pld, alex wennberg, barclay goodrow, adam lowry...

his contract is a little on the high side but he's not unplayable. he's one of the better 3cs in the league at the very least. in a couple years his contract will probably look like a steal even if he doesn't improve

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I feel the Zadorov valuations flying around are crazy. I would not be comfortable paying more than about 4.5M/year for him on a 6 year term, and I'd be prepared for that contract to hurt before long.

Reactions: dellzor

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

kotkaniemi has similar ES production to elias lindholm, nicolas roy, pld, alex wennberg, barclay goodrow, adam lowry...

his contract is a little on the high side but he's not unplayable. he's one of the better 3cs in the league at the very least. in a couple years his contract will probably look like a steal even if he doesn't improve
He’s been around so long it’s shocking he’s only 23. He’d be an intriguing pickup with the possibility of either disappointing or being excellent value in a couple of years. I feel like he would fit right into Tocchet’s system.

Not opposed to the idea at all. I’m a little surprised Carolina would trade him…unless there is something about his character they don’t like.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m guessing that the Zadarov numbers are mostly inflated and just part of the negotiation process. I expect he will sign here for less eventually. Just a feeling.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Half his season total came in the first 22 games then fell off a cliff, got bumped down to the 4th line, and barely produced the rest of the way. Jack Drury ended up playing more 3rd line than he did by the end of the season.

Reactions: Hodgy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A 40 pt, top-4 RD is extremely valuable. I think Allvin will find a way to sign him short of an overpayment from another team in trade.
Yep. And I've been one of the bigger critics of Hronek, stemming from the trade and throughout the season (though I think the consensus opinion on him has gone too far during the playoffs).

He's a legit, top-four RHD. Those are coveted pieces. He has chemistry with Hughes.

Walsh is asking for $8M x 8. Given the comps, he's not gonna get that. We know that. But obviously the agent is going to try to get as much as possible.

Hanifin just signed for $7.35M. That's a very obvious comparable. Give a small bump/premium to Hronek for having a better platform year and settle on something around $7.5M.

Reactions: supercanuck

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Necas has averaged 22 goals/56 points per 82 games over his career. It’s 23/57 per 82 if you look at just the last three seasons. He’s also 25 already, so while he could still improve he’s on the wrong side of the aging curve for doing so already.

He’s a good player in his prime who is looking to get paid as a great player. If you identify him as a potential breakout player and can get him for cheap because Carolina wants to reallocate cap money, then great. But paying a premium price to pay him a lot of money in hopes he hits his potential is not a good bet.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I feel the Zadorov valuations flying around are crazy. I would not be comfortable paying more than about 4.5M/year for him on a 6 year term, and I'd be prepared for that contract to hurt before long.
I think he’s a #5 during the regular season but can slip into the top 4 when needed. I also think come playoff time he can be a difference maker. By all accounts he’s great in the room. I don’t mind term. But dollar value can’t really float much past 5

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

keep'n believing

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Half his season total came in the first 22 games then fell off a cliff, got bumped down to the 4th line, and barely produced the rest of the way. Jack Drury ended up playing more 3rd line than he did by the end of the season.

i'm not saying he's great or anything. he's not some secret superstar the canucks can slot into their top 6. i just think his production is pretty good for his contract and there's still potential for his production to be extremely good for his contract

the fact that he got outplayed by drury, staal and aho isn't really anything to be ashamed of. those are good players

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yep. And I've been one of the bigger critics of Hronek, stemming from the trade and throughout the season (though I think the consensus opinion on him has gone too far during the playoffs).

He's a legit, top-four RHD. Those are coveted pieces. He has chemistry with Hughes.

Walsh is asking for $8M x 8. Given the comps, he's not gonna get that. We know that. But obviously the agent is going to try to get as much as possible.

Hanifin just signed for $7.35M. That's a very obvious comparable. Give a small bump/premium to Hronek for having a better platform year and settle on something around $7.5M.
But how do you pay a player 7M+ when their production tapered off to approximately nothing?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think he’s a #5 during the regular season but can slip into the top 4 when needed. I also think come playoff time he can be a difference maker. By all accounts he’s great in the room. I don’t mind term. But dollar value can’t really float much past 5
Term is fine, in fact it's probably needed to fit him in now, but the AAV has to drop further in my opinion. 8 years at around 4.2M or so would be a good contract if you think you can compete now.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

However, there was a rumour that the Rangers were looking for a 2nd for Lafreniere 2 years ago but there were no takers so players do turn it around.

The likely reason Kotkaniemi is linked to Necas in trades is that Carolina is a hard analytics team and they realize the risk Kotkaniemi's contract represents and want to flog Kotkaniemi's contract now and linking it to a Necas deal is the most prudent way to do it.

However, if the trade is reasonable it should be worth considering it but unless you are playing Kotkaniemi on left wing or as the 4th line centre it means they aren't bringing Lindholm back and if they acquire Kotkaniemi and resign Lindholm they probably aren't bringing Blueger back unless one of them plays the wing.

Cap space may prohibit any of these moves unless they create a Robidas Island near Tofino on the Wet Coast.

Interesting to watch.
There’s no way the Rangers ask was that little. If he was, he’d be in VAN. VAN had interest as recently as this past summer

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
considering his 22/23 season, it's at least within the realm of possibility he was dealing with a nagging injury of some kind. Hit rate was almost cut in half this year over last.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kotka, 2024 1st + Coughlan for Hoglander
Lambert + Barron for Hronek
2024 1st for Cernak
Re-sign Myers
Sign Dillon
Lambert+ for Konecny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad