Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I would be targeting Tanner Jeannot as a low cost bounce back guy.

Shouldn’t be more than a 4th. Give the Canucks some much needed size and toughness.

1. Resign Joshua 5 years 3.5 million. Extra year get it done.
2. Have to bring back Zadorov, was so good and bring swagger and toughness. I would go extra year bring down aav. 6 years 5.3 million
3. Trade Hronek, can’t sign him for more than Hughes is making. Was below average in the last half and playoffs.
4. Sign Tanev and Matt Roy. Boost the right side, Hughes get elite partner
5. Sign Sam Reinhart 7 years 9.5 million. EP gets elite winger
6. Set Hoglander free, coach doesn’t like him. Needs to go some where he can spread his wings.
7. Buy out Mikeyev. 1 goal 60 game. Useless.
8. Resign Blueger, Myers

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
If they can get a good deal, they should try Chatfield again I think he’d fit really well in the system here.

RD’s are even harder to come by these days, I think it would really help this team to get players playing on their correct sides, to many times I’ve seen guys trying to shovel the puck on the back hand if trying to keep it in the zone or getting it out even. It’s the little details that really count especially in playoff hockey.

Reactions: Nick Lang

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan

Shouldn’t be more than a 4th. Give the Canucks some much needed size and toughness.

2. Have to bring back Zadorov, was so good and bring swagger and toughness. I would go extra year bring down aav. 6 years 5.3 million
3. Trade Hronek, can’t sign him for more than Hughes is making. Was below average in the last half and playoffs.
6. Set Hoglander free, coach doesn’t like him. Needs to go some where he can spread his wings.
8. Resign Blueger, Myers

I really like the Jeannott idea. Jeannott has huge stones and willing to drop the gloves with anyone. Also had a great rookie year where he potted 20+ goals. Would be a great add for team toughness and could be look great on Any if the forward lines.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Signing Guentzel, Lindholm and Zadorov to long-term deals is just bad business. We'd cap our own window for Cup contention in 2 years.

Yes, it seems like some people have never been on a budget or had to spend limited resources wisely. I don't see how on earth a team with those 3 guys signed can be competitive. We'll have to dress about 4 or 5 scrubs very game.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
1716909790168.png

I think this is the roughly how I would approach this summer. Letting Lindholm, Z and Joshua walk because I believe they will be overpaid on their next contract. Blueger could be brought back but I'm trying to "cheap out" as much as possible on 3C and 4C to bank up more cap space for Petey's RW spot.

For forwards:
- signing Duclair for $3.25m for 2 years to provide top 6 scoring and some speed. Risk: Tocchet might not like his play style.
- signing Motte (or someone similar) to kill penalties and comes in near league min.
- hope Garland can carry that 3rd line.
- leave just below $8m to get Petey a winger, probably nothing in the UFA that fits so a trade might be the only option.

For defense:
- signing Tanev for $4.5 x 3 (or 4 years if he demands it, but shorter the deal the better).
- signing Hronek for $6.5 x 3, keep the cap hit low-ish and give him another chance to get a big contract at age 29 with more of a resume.
- signing Dillon at $2.5m x 2 to play bottom pairing LD role.
- signing Myers at $3.5m x 3 to start at bottom pairing but can move up in case of injuries.

For goalie:
- sign Silovs for $1m x 2 and hope he can be an adequate backup, as we need to "cheap out" anywhere we can.

Buyout:
- bought out Mikheyev.

Not the most exciting roster, but it does keep the D-core big (as preferred by management), add a little speed up front, and have enough cap space to get Petey a decent winger. Bottom 6 forwards are pretty weak though, depth scoring will be hard to come by. But sacrifices will have to be made if we want to upgrade the top 6.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
This is the nucleus of a deal I’ve been thinking would have to be in place for a while - but there’s probably some other parts that would need to be included depending on who thinks they’re getting the worse contract back.
Same here, the basis of Hronek for Necas with the additions of Mikheyev and KK going either way makes sense to me. If the team is high on Kotkaniemi, value wise thats probably the difference between Hronek minus Mikheyev cap dump and Necas

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

8. Resign Blueger, Myers
This would work really well with a $120M cap.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Also I’m riding the Mikheyev for KK train till the wheels fall off.

It just makes so much sense if/when we can’t retain Lindholm. KK is a defensively sound center with some untapped offensive upside.

The contract is less daunting when you realize the buyout is not that bad before age 25 or 26.

Mikheyev gives Carolina an effective bottom six winger instead of spending 10M to buy KK out.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think kotkaniemi is actually on a pretty fair contract and still has upside and i like necas as like the third or fourth best winger on a team but i'm not sure vancouver has the luxury of pursuing them. they really need a dynamic talent on the wings to take pressure off miller, pettersson and boeser and that's not necas

the problem is i don't really know who it is. guentzel i guess but i'm skeptical the canucks have any real shot at him. maybe a blockbuster for keller with hronek, hoglander and i dunno what else going back the other way?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Putting on the JR ruthless everyone is tradable hat.
Trade Boeser for 1st and A prospect.
Trade Garland for a 2nd.
Use the 2nd to get rid of Mik.

Trade 1st and Hog for Necas.
Sign Guentzel at 9.5M x 7.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Hronek, Mikheyev for Necas, Kotkieniemi

Let's do it Allvin.
I still fail to see why Carolina would do that trade? The only reason we would trade Hronek is if his contract demand is unreasonable. For a team that is as fiscally conservative as the Canes, why would they want the pleasure to overpay for a guy that never played for their team before? How would that affect their team's cap structure going forward? Not to mention taking a cap dump in Mikheyev that still have 2 seasons left, for a contending team why would that be attractive?

They are better off selling Necas for futures (if nobody offers any "now" pieces), then flip those futures into "now" pieces.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Mikheyev gives Carolina an effective bottom six winger instead of spending 10M to buy KK out.
The $10M to buyout KK isn’t much of an issue when you consider it’s spread out over 12 years. I’d be very surprised if Carolina had any interest in swapping KK for Mikheyev unless there were additional factors to the deal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I have 0 issue moving Hoglander if the team thinks he’s going to score 25 again but not be a guy Tocchet can rely upon in the playoffs.

That would be a highly diminished asset given the likelihood of a strong arbitration case.

Although, the trade would really have to make sense given that he makes nothing and can give you es production. But they’ve gotta know this summer what they want to do with him and be sure in their decision.

Considering how bad he was and how Dubas publicly criticized him at the end of the year, they may be at the point where they'll give him away.
Devils fans weren’t happy with Marino either

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
If they can get a good deal, they should try Chatfield again I think he’d fit really well in the system here.

RD’s are even harder to come by these days, I think it would really help this team to get players playing on their correct sides, to many times I’ve seen guys trying to shovel the puck on the back hand if trying to keep it in the zone or getting it out even. It’s the little details that really count especially in playoff hockey.
Guess the question here is what would meet the definition of a "good deal" in your/anyone's opinion?

the number is almost surely going to be between $3-$4MM and will probably carry term of 3-5 years. Is there a good deal to be had within that range? IMO yes. Though, unless Carolina is contemplating really rocking the boat, I think they'll offer him something in that range and he'll sign it. On ice stuff aside, He lives in Carolina year round, is good friends with Slavin and by all accounts, loves it there. His career trajectory is pointed in the right direction and his skill set is highly desirable to Carolina (or any team that aggressively activates their D in the offensive zone). I expect they're going to sign him to a long term extension and deploy him (with Orlov) as the 2nd pair next season.

That said, I think he'd be a great addition here. He's extremely mobile and solid in all three zones. Maybe it's just the long hair, but watching him move around the ice, he really reminds me of a young Chris Tanev. I suspect he could be deployed next to Hughes and not look at all out of place. comparing where he was three years ago, to where he is now, I think there's some real upside to his game.

Reactions: crazychimp

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The contract is less daunting when you realize the buyout is not that bad before age 25 or 26.

This is probably why they aren't too worried about dumping his contract, there is an extremely favourable buyout for them if he doesn't rebound.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Necas is a 40 ES point winger who apparently wants north of 7.5M and the entire conversation around him everywhere on social media regarding his trade value and contract demand is insane to me.

His trade value should be low given his apparent contract demands. Garland and Boeser both handily outscore him at ES for cheaper

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I still fail to see why Carolina would do that trade? The only reason we would trade Hronek is if his contract demand is unreasonable. For a team that is as fiscally conservative as the Canes, why would they want the pleasure to overpay for a guy that never played for their team before? How would that affect their team's cap structure going forward? Not to mention taking a cap dump in Mikheyev that still have 2 seasons left, for a contending team why would that be attractive?

They are better off selling Necas for futures (if nobody offers any "now" pieces), then flip those futures into "now" pieces.
Bang on. If Carolina trades Necas, it will be more likely for liquid assets they can convert into a piece they prefer.

I don't seem them having much interest in Hronek. They're going to let go of (likely) multiple prime-age defensemen as UFAs because they don't want to overpay them. They're not going to trade for Hronek to have to do the same. I don't see any Hronek for Necas swap as plausible.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I am not really seeing the basis of Hronek for Necas as good value - Hronek is an established top 4 RHD (and potentially valued as a #2). Hopefully Allvin has his sights a bit higher than Necas or finds a similar player but younger and cost controlled.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad