Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Sat on Canucks Central: They're likely moving Mikheyev and Garland. Joshua probably leaves as well.

moving both mikheyev and garland is kind of wild. they'd have to be pretty certain guentzel or reinhart are signing here you'd think

Reactions: quat

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
moving Garland is stupid IMO.

But I’ll reserve judgement to see what they do.

If moving Garland meant you could sign Roy/Demelo to similar money, would you do it?

I'm for moving Garland if his cap space provides something more of need, like a true top6 forward or mid-pairing RHD.

Reactions: Chiripa20

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If they do re-sign Lindholm—they are probably considering the following:
  1. Quality RH centers are rare
  2. They know Lindholm fits Tocchet’s style of low-event hockey + OZ possession
  3. They don’t like Suter as a C—either for his play or because they know it’s not a long-term salary cap option
  4. They figure if not Lindholm now that they will not have the assets to afford another 3C before the TDL
  5. They are more confident in their ability to sign/trade/unearth scoring wingers than they are their ability to find centers.

If they can keep the AAV below 7 and avoid a NMC—the scarcity of RH centers across the league will always give them an escape clause.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
moving Garland is stupid IMO.

But I’ll reserve judgement to see what they do.

I like him as a player but his utility is limited for his cap hit. He doesn't really work on the PP, doesn't PK and isn't really a checker per say. He's an above average forechecker and pretty good 5-on-5 scorer, but they probably don't want to pay that for a guy who averages under 15 minutes per game.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I like him as a player but his utility is limited for his cap hit. He doesn't really work on the PP, doesn't PK and isn't really a checker per say. He's an above average forechecker and pretty good 5-on-5 scorer, but they probably don't want to pay that for a guy who averages under 15 minutes per game.

Exactly. And remember too: They wanted to move him/he wanted out before this season.

moving both mikheyev and garland is kind of wild. they'd have to be pretty certain guentzel or reinhart are signing here you'd think

Predicated on re-signing Lindholm, and to a lesser extent Zadorov. They won't have the money for Guentzel if they do so.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I don't think it really is that crazy, both are overpaid for what they bring in aggregate. Mikheyev especially, he's just an offensive blackhole. Garland has some utility as a support scorer and transition player, but that's pretty much it. I wouldn't be surprised if they think they could get replacement-level players to provide relatively similar utility at lower cap hits.

I like Garland, but they do both represent notable salary inefficiency.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If moving Garland meant you could sign Roy/Demelo to similar money, would you do it?

I'm for moving Garland if his cap space provides something more of need, like a true top6 forward or mid-pairing RHD.
Like I said, depends on what they do.

If it’s subtracting from the Top 6/9 just replace the backend, I don’t like it.

Reactions: quat and Vector

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Garland is a tough one. He was a huge part in the 3rd line being so effective but as others have noted has little special teams utility and consequently averages 14 minutes a night. That being said 42 ES points is pretty damn impressive given those minutes / usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If they move on from Garland—I suspect it’s a sign that they are looking to load up the top two lines with talent and give the bottom-six the task of treading water.

I wonder if they’ve evaluated that Garland and Pettersson just don’t have on-ice chemistry—and that they can multiply much more value allocating that cap room to a player who is a better stylistic fit on the top line.

That’s not to take away from Garland’s stats this past year. He’s excelled in his role. But maybe they can get even more value from using his salary cap space in the top-six.

Reactions: wonton15

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Like I said, depends on what they do.

If it’s subtracting from the Top 6/9 just replace the backend, I don’t like it.

Even for a net gain at 2nd pair RHD? That is an automatic move, imo.

I get that Garland is an analytics darling, and if the Canucks had a GM that prioritized this (and moneypuck bets), he would be an integral part of the team's future, but this ain't yesterday... Gillis is long gone. Allvin/Rutherford seem more old school. More prone to liking traditional archetypes. Like Zadorov with his big hits and Mikheyev skating really fast etc... And if you pay those guys, you can't pay your 5'8" Corsi darling winger $5m per.

All I'm saying is that if they don't value him, they can at least translate his money into something they do value, which might also level the loss in trade.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’m very convinced Sat Shah is on HF Canucks. A lot of what he says is very consistent with how this board thinks
You mean he gets ideas from us instead of coming up with original ideas and talking points? Shocker.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Agree - moving Garland is the type of “outside the box” move that I could see management making to recalibrate our forward cap structure. Use assets from a Garland trade to dump Mikheyev and that’s $10M (less: cap taken back) freed up for an impact top 6 forward. All contingent on how they view the usage of Garland / our third line moving forward, but I could see this as a path forward.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
You move Garland and the entire third line scoring and play driving dries up.

You'd have to find a helluva second line forward to play with Petey to make up the difference. Team philosophy would have to shift a bit too, with the third line not being able to really play hard matchups unless there's a really strong replacement there.

Freeing up cap space would be strange, because I'm fairly certain if he hit free agency right now he could get a slightly larger deal with the cap rising & teams looking for play driving middle six wingers. These also are the guys that conversely don't have much trade value either.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Moving Garland so we can sign Reinhart to a $10M cap hit only for him to revert to a 30 goal scorer in year 1 would make me a cranky boy.
No kidding.

Reinhart has outscored Garland at even strength only once in the last 4 years and it's this year.

Once in four years.

Amazing how underrated he still is. And it's not hard to see in the counting stats, amazing how many people are still fooled by PP production when they look at stats.

We will not be able to replace his production for anywhere near 4.95 mil if we move him.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Paul never left Vancouver after he retired, the kids were born and grew up here. IF Sam wanted to come home, that info would probably not be a too closely guarded secret. When you mentioned him a few months ago i was initially quite skeptical, but he's become a much more well rounded player in Florida and he'd give PP1 a real jolt.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
No kidding.

Reinhart has outscored Garland at even strength only once in the last 4 years and it's this year.

Once in four years.

Amazing how underrated he still is. And it's not hard to see in the counting stats, amazing how many people are still fooled by PP production when they look at stats.

We will not be able to replace his production for anywhere near 4.95 mil if we move him.
There's 20 other wingers on the same contract as Garland. It's a very average contract. It's not a bad contract.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The dream is to add Guentzel and keep Garland

Also, the Guentzel contract is going to suck the last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad