Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I suspect trading away Garland is less because they want to get rid of him—and more because they need assets for him to either:
  • get rid of bad money on the team (ex, Mikheyev)
  • put together the trade package for the player they really want (ex, Necas)
Even if it is a free agent that they sign—you need to clear that cap space. Just like a trade, you have to give to get.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm not sure why RNH's conversion would be discounted due to playing with McDavid in the playoffs? RNH has a hand in McDavid having that all-time great playoff.

I disagree. If RNH was a magic bullet you would have seen it in the regular season results. By my eyes, he’s been a passenger on a line driven entirely by McDavid and Hyman. You could have any other competent player in his spot and they’d be doing just as well.

He’s also got 1 primary assist and 8 secondary assists, which supports him being a passenger.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It sounds a bit like it's always been a term issue, but even if he takes a "little less" it could still be $5M+ on AAV.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
yes. there's a reason he plays with McDavid, because it makes him better and it gets the job done. alex burrows wasn't scoring 35 goals away from the Sedins either.

Except the Sedins got worse results when they didn’t have Burrows on their line. McDavid’s lines are just as dominant when RNH isn’t playing with him.

Reactions: Nopefully and Hodgy

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
And you missed the point entirely...

The point is not that Garland is a more efficient scorer/line driver at ES than random winger. The point is that this matters less than a player's overall contribution to a team. You could get more out of Pettersson, more on special teams play, that would make up the difference in losing Garland's ES superiority.

But they'll have Lindholm to do this, no? This is why they re-sign him for $7m+. If they felt that the Garland solution was enough, then they don't re-sign Lindholm, imo.

If Garland could mesh with Pettersson, things would be a lot easier.

The RNH example is one of a player who is worse at ES, while providing a net conversion benefit to other skilled linemates. A skilled player working with other skilled players.

I don’t disagree in principle. But this team is lacking in play drivers - basically Hughes is the only other player on the team that consistently drives play in the right direction. Lindholm has never really been that type of player.

Dumping Garland to get Pettersson help is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Pettersson’s line might go from good to great at ES, and he might get a few more PP points, but the team is going to have trouble constructing a third line that can keep its head above water and be a competitive advantage like it is when Garland is on it.

We can reasonably argue about which scenario leads to a better team, but in either direction I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect more than a marginal benefit. And I don’t think Garland’s skill set is an easy one to replace on a team who needs more players like that, not fewer.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

It sounds a bit like it's always been a term issue, but even if he takes a "little less" it could still be $5M+ on AAV.

Bigger takeaway was Friedman saying the Canucks are willing to do 7x7 on Lindholm—but that they aren't sure it will get the deal done.

If they are going 7 years—they may as well tack-on the 8th year that no other team can tack-on.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Bigger takeaway was Friedman saying the Canucks are willing to do 7x7 on Lindholm—but that they aren't sure it will get the deal done.

If they are going 7 years—they may as well tack-on the 8th year that no other team can tack-on.

Yes caught that as well. I'm not surprised, I think Lindholm gets signed.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Friedman also reported that Jake Guentzel's rights are available for a mid-round pick.

IMO—Vancouver's only shot at him is if they can get an exclusive chance to negotiate and offer him a big overall number. But, I think the only way they can really fit his cap-hit is if they facilitate a sign-and-trade with Carolina to get that 8th year to lower the AAV. That would require some fancy footwork to execute.

Reactions: Szechwan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yes caught that as well. I'm not surprised, I think Lindholm gets signed.

Seeing both of those comments on Friedman's podcast, I wouldn't be stunned if we do in fact see Lindholm and Zadorov back.

IMO - if we do that, I think the likely casualties are Joshua and Myers, in addition to Cole going out.

Reactions: BimJenning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Zadorov:
-thinks he has a number and it is a little less than he could get on the open market in order to stay in Vancouver
-Canucks aren't far away from the number but aren't there yet
-know what it takes to sign Myers so they can wait on that
-Zadorov knows that if he gets to the open market will be happy with what's out there

Lindholm:
-recruiting efforts from Canucks efforts have been intense and are continuing
-willing to go 7y/7m but doesn't think that gets it done
-despite the start, Lindholm really enjoyed his time

Colliton:
-heard he could end up with Sheldon Keefe in New Jersey

Hurricanes:
-Guentzel sounds like he's available for a mid-round pick; is sure there's a tonne of interest
-consider Necas a budding star player and want an equivalent return
-have indicated that they are prepared to go ahead with Necas next year but Necas probably isn't thrilled with that

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Seeing both of those comments on Friedman's podcast, I wouldn't be stunned if we do in fact see Lindholm and Zadorov back.

IMO - if we do that, I think the likely casualties are Joshua and Myers, in addition to Cole going out.
Joshua similar to Luostarinen for Florida on his 1.5M x 2 year deal goes 26 then 43 points. Signs a 3 years 3M AVV. First of his contract back to 27 points. At 3M it doesn't really hurt the team this year but Florida is lucky to have Reinhart at 6.5, Forsling 2.6, Lundell ELC, Montour at 3.5.

Those are the type contracts Canucks had this year with Lindholm and Zadorov cheap, Petey cheaper, Hronek cheap.

Fair to good deals only, leave some cap space. Try out some AHL players, rookies in some spots for a longer period of time. See how the team fares and make trades to shore up if need at the tdl.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Zadorov:
-thinks he has a number and it is a little less than he could get on the open market in order to stay in Vancouver
-Zadorov knows that if he gets to the open market will be happy with what's out there

Lindholm:

Colliton:

Hurricanes:
-Guentzel sounds like he's available for a mid-round pick; is sure there's a tonne of interest
-have indicated that they are prepared to go ahead with Necas next year but Necas probably isn't thrilled with that

Carolina:
"Necas is a budding star and we want a star level return"
"But we also want to pay him like he's not a star"

Donkeys.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Zadorov:

Lindholm:

Colliton:

Hurricanes:

Can I start stealing your summaries and posting them on twitter? Good way to get more followers because you have the best summaries :laugh:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

Zadorov:

Lindholm:

I think it would be a mistake to pay what would be the teams 3lc 7M for the next 2-3 seasons before the cap would raise enough to make it somewhat normal.

Lots of available free agents for Abbotsford to fill out the forward group.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Carolina:
"Necas is a budding star and we want a star level return"
"But we also want to pay him like he's not a star"

Donkeys.
Carolina and their owner have a reputation for penny pinching and doing everything on a budget.

Beyond AAV offered you have to wonder how much that culture permeates through the team experience. It’s eye-opening to me that Jake Guentzel wants nothing to do with re-signing there.

Have to wonder whether Necas would ever re-sign there regardless of the money offered.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Still think Zad and Lindholm will be signed. We traded for them for a reason our management obviously likes the players.

For example if they were a UFA on another team you know damn well we'd take a run at them in free agency.

I think management is playing the patient game to get every ounce of discount they can from these guys.

Won't be surprised to see them signed a day or two before free agency.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Carolina and their owner have a reputation for penny pinching and doing everything on a budget.

Beyond AAV offered you have to wonder how much that culture permeates through the team experience. It’s eye-opening to me that Jake Guentzel wants nothing to do with re-signing there.

Have to wonder whether Necas would ever re-sign there regardless of the money offered.
I defended them for so long but they really should have gone all-in the past 2 years while they had that D group locked up.

Their surplus of mid-round draft picks between 2019-2023 have done f*** all for them.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

Reading rumours of Martin Necas, such as his name coming up during the Petterson rumours and now Hronek for Necas. Mostly they say that Carolina's ask for him is too high than the Canucks are willing to give.

6'1" right handed forward but 178lbs. Like another EP as far as those stats are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad