Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Well yah. That's kind of how contracts are supposed to work, and Benning didn't understand that. If you have limited money and are bargain bin hunting don't just pay the guy double for twice as long as you should and hope to all hopes they turn out. Sign them on short deals that won't cripple you moving forward and go from there. I still think they had an excellent off-season last year, obviously the results support that too. The only player we really could have signed longer was Joshua, but that wasn't really realistic. He was kind of lucky to get a two year deal in the first place.
Well, I don't know about "that's how they're supposed to work." If you're confident in your pro scouting and you can get the player on a bargain for two years (as they did with Joshua), that gives you an edge. (Of course, if you think that the player will perform better with the pressure/uncertainty of a one year deal, then go for it.)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
For what it is worth—there were rumors going back a couple off-seasons ago that the industry had serious concerns about Demko's long-term health. Please note the below tweet is from 2022 and is not recent.

IMO there is a clear path with Demko—and it's to split play with a 1B (Silovs, or someone else) like Boston has done with Swayman and Ullmark.

You are 100% right that using Silovs and Demko intensely is the way to go. This is probably the way to go until his contract expires. I think Demko would like to play more than one playoff game and would not be slighted by that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I’m so confused by the Necas rumors from the media.

On one hand you have folks like Seravalli saying that Carolina is looking for picks and prospects—and on another hand you have folks like Marek/Friedman suggesting that Carolina don’t want futures for Necas.

Sounds like they're just going for max value, maybe they're targeting a few things (ie. sounds like a 1st rounder), but other than that it's just getting the most possible.

Probably the usual, "1st rounder, prospect, young NHLer" everyone seems to broadly say.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Cole criticism is very much a recency bias. He sucked against the Oilers but was excellent against the Predators. He was good in the regular season and logged a lot of hard minutes over the course of the season and possibly wore down a little in the 2nd round. Good veteran defenceman with good size that plays consistently hard, would be foolish not to offer him a 1 year 1.5M contract.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

On one hand you have folks like Seravalli saying that Carolina is looking for picks and prospects—and on another hand you have folks like Marek/Friedman suggesting that Carolina don’t want futures for Necas.

Mark Friedman is an insider now :huh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Cole criticism is very much a recency bias. He sucked against the Oilers but was excellent against the Predators. He was good in the regular season and logged a lot of hard minutes over the course of the season and possibly wore down a little in the 2nd round. Good veteran defenceman with good size that plays consistently hard, would be foolish not to offer him a 1 year 1.5M contract.
He doesn’t want to go that low if you read bw the lines on the media yesterday

I do think Cole complaints are overstated, tho. It was an unlucky R2, although I’d say I felt his age really showed up this year. Those long shifts really seemed to take a toll on his ability to keep up against speed and transition the puck. Like he still made safe, smart plays on those retrievals, but they weren’t really effective at getting the puck to the forwards cleanly and consistently

Imo too much downside but if he wants to take a near fully buriable amount, I would circle back after a week of free agency.

Aim for Dillon and one of Roy/Tanev/Demelo

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Yes another one dimensional forward that has size but plays small. Sabres cornering the market watch out. First Necas, next Mantha.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Need to move on from Necas, better to unload Hronek for similar to what we got him for (1st, 2nd, 4th) and use the 2nd & 4th picks (plus Canucks 3rd) to move out Mikheyev and then sign Guentzel and Lindholm, much better asset management.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

There's a rumor that keeps going around with him suffering an ankle laceration in Game 6 of the Nashville series and needing 10 stiches. It could explain the dramatic drop in Game 1 and 2 against Edmonton.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Well, I don't know about "that's how they're supposed to work." If you're confident in your pro scouting and you can get the player on a bargain for two years (as they did with Joshua), that gives you an edge. (Of course, if you think that the player will perform better with the pressure/uncertainty of a one year deal, then go for it.)

Yeah, my wording wasn't the best. I meant in our situation we needed some shorter contracts to give us balance and flexibility. You could sign every player to like 5 or 6 year contracts (even 2) to keep the cap hit down but then you assume every signing you make will work out.

We signed Soucy for 3. Cole for 1, which proved wise. No choice on Zads, Hronek, Lafferty, or Lindholm. Really only Blueger got a 1 year deal where they could have maybe went longer, as Suter was signed for 2 later on, but they didn't know how the team would respond, or how those two would play out as tertiary depth pieces. Blueger probably won't get much more anyway (hopefully we get him back). Hogs was signed for 2, which also proved wise, although 4 would have been better but obviously fairly risky. Unfortunately the Mikheyev signing was a mistake from the second they signed it. Our cap structure is such we couldn't afford to make many long-term gambles.

Reactions: Lindgren

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I suspect they'd keep him at that rate. I'd expect he wants something close to his most recent deal, which was $3M AAV short term.

Well, then.

Colour me intrigued.

Bye bye Hronek in that scenario.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There's a rumor that keeps going around with him suffering an ankle laceration in Game 6 of the Nashville series and needing 10 stiches. It could explain the dramatic drop in Game 1 and 2 against Edmonton.

Pretty sure that is true, and even having said that I don't think he was that bad... just that unlucky. It definitely wasn't his best hockey, but more pucks went off him while he was doing the right thing and went in than anything. Again not to say he was great by any stretch, just he wasn't that bad.

On the goalie front, you absolutely run with Silovs as the backup next year. You need to start to really know what you have with him especially as we wind down on Demko's contract and with his injuries.

Reactions: BimJenning
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay