Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rutherford and Allvin aren't kind of hockey execs who 'stand pat'......there's going to be some off-season fireworks on the trade front. You can almost guarantee it.

Clearly they took stock of this Canuck team in the playoff for only the second time in a decade, and didn't like some of the things they were seeing. And as of right now, their blueline is down to four guys--Hughes, Soucy and Juulsen who's on the books for one more year at the league minimum. And of course there's Hronek, who's a UFA.

So when the Cup Finals are in the books--let the wheeling and dealing begin!

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Rutherford and Allvin aren't kind of hockey execs who 'stand pat'......there's going to be some off-season fireworks on the trade front. You can almost guarantee it.

Clearly they took stock of this Canuck team in the playoff for only the second time in a decade, and didn't like some of the things they were seeing. And as of right now, their blueline is down to four guys--Hughes, Soucy and Juulsen who's on the books for one more year at the league minimum. And of course there's Hronek, who's a UFA.

So when the Cup Finals are in the books--let the wheeling and dealing begin!
I'm all for wheeling and dealing. Just don't want to see moves like re-signing Lindholm just because they couldn't find anyone else. But if anyone can find guys elsewhere, who aren't on any of our radars, it's these two

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
if hronek and lindholm are both on this team making 7m+ next year that's the end of this team's run imo. both are okay players that are going to get paid like stars and that plus the other cap issues on this team (mikheyev, oel, garland) are an insurmountable problem when they really desperately need to add some high end talent
I agree with all of this except Garland. How is he a cap problem? He's top 50 (forwards) in 5v5 scoring/60 over the last three years, top 10 in net penalties drawn, massively positive in shot differential. top 35 in TA/60. he's earning his money and then some IMO. Is your issue with him the lack of PP utility?

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
My ideal offseason would be somethibg like this (its Christmas land doubt it happens)

Canuck UFA / RFA

Hronek - try a short term deal around 6 - 6.5m / 3 years. If Walsh is intent on hitting a homerun gotta explore trade options.

Zadorov - again offer a fair deal, 5 years 5m per where he makes the bulk of his $ early

Joshua - I know analytically he had a career season but I think he is a guy you win with & that 3rd line was dynamite. Ideally you get him on a burrows like deal.

I also liked Blueger a ton and would keep him if he took the same or a minimal bump in pay (say from 1.8 to 2m).

Lafferty was a great 4th liner but figure he will look for a huge raise. This could be a spot for Podkolzin.

Myers but only if its a crazy good team friendly deal like 5m over 2 years (2.5m cap hit).

Free Agents:

Brendan Duhaime to add more sandpaper to the 4th line along with a bit of speed. Maybe Tocchet can coax more offense out of him.

Chandler Stephenson for a bit more offense in the top 6 & can play centre in a pinch. Obviously he is no Lindholm but he should be cheaper.

Brendan Dillon only for cheap as the Cole replacement.

And for the love of Garfield they have got to find a way to ship out Mimheyevs cap hit. Nothing against the player but he didn't offer much after the halfway point of the season

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Who want's to really gamble?

Trade Demko for a Haul, run with Silovs and a true pro Backup Goalie.

Devils have a ton of players that would be massive, Luke Hughes, Nemec, Holtz, and they badly need a goalie.

I would do it 1 for 1 for Luke Hughes or Nemec truly.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

Devils have a ton of players that would be massive, Luke Hughes, Nemec, Holtz, and they badly need a goalie.

Zero chance NJ splits the bro's, it's their strength in numbers. If we end up with 2, they will have to deal with the questions of losing the final infinity stone, instead, they have that power, and we will have the doubts come 2026.

I could absolutely get behind an EP, Demko ++ to fill that gauntlet, but that's far fetched.

Toronto is desperate for a tender tho.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For those prices pay Lindholm 7×8 the rest can walk

I interpret re-signing Lindholm to that term as they're going to cycle all wingers aside form Boeser. The mid-level money just isn't there to bolster the wing and defense by going this heavy at C.

On Hronek: If he's stuck at $8m AAV and does not budge, then trading him for Severson in CLB may be an idea. Waddell didn't sign Severson to his deal, and if the chatter from Sat is to be believed, he thinks the team views the two dmen in a similar vein.

Mikheyev for either JG Pageau or Reilly Smith seems like the play here. You're getting older in either case, but the alternatives give you something you need more.

Last, while I understand Myers may need to be re-signed as a value play, I just hesitate giving money to a player that ultimately isn't a middle-pairing solution. I would save the money until the Guentzel situation becomes more clear.

@Baby Pettersson Where did you hear the Canucks are out on Necas?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I agree with all of this except Garland. How is he a cap problem? He's top 50 (forwards) in 5v5 scoring/60 over the last three years, top 10 in net penalties drawn, massively positive in shot differential. top 35 in TA/60. he's earning his money and then some IMO. Is your issue with him the lack of PP utility?

his production is okayish for his cap hit but he's tiny, there's been issues fitting him into the lineup because his playstyle just doesn't mesh with some of the canucks other top forwards and when he's not scoring he's not doing anything

i don't think he is massively overpaid or anything but until he's regularly in the top 3 minutes for wingers on the team he's poor value imo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

A lack of special teams utility overall would be my issue with him. Another would be his playstyle limiting how much he can bring out of others, and they him. He can mesh with 3rd liners to great effect, but bump him up to play a top6 style, it's hit or miss. Example: When he was put with Miller and Pettersson this year. Even with Lindholm, his line didn't push play, but with Blueger it was much better. He just doesn't think the game like a top6 player imo.

Even with his likely muted trade value right now, if there was an even chance to swap his salary with that of DeBrusk, I would not hesitate. I say that knowing Garland is the better ES player.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Ugh...so many of these responses are just posters talking to the wind with no real expectation of a real response. Gawd I hate the off-season.

That being said...😘...it's crazy how many of the signings from the last off-season out performed their contracts and I wonder...if the Canucks mgmt thought so highly of them, why weren't at least a few of them offered multi year deals?

Blueger...Joshua...those are player's that you would think would have been eager to sign onto 2 or 3 year deals at 'maybe' a bit more than they signed up for on the 1 year deals.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
his production is okayish for his cap hit but he's tiny, there's been issues fitting him into the lineup because his playstyle just doesn't mesh with some of the canucks other top forwards and when he's not scoring he's not doing anything

i don't think he is massively overpaid or anything but until he's regularly in the top 3 minutes for wingers on the team he's poor value imo
This reads like you think his cap hit starts with a 7 rather than a 4.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Sure wish the NHL would lift their "suggestion" that nothing takes away attention from the playoffs, so no player announcements during the cup finals.
IMO they are losing interest in various team markets that might think their season is over.
Does anyone believe that no business has been happening for the last two months from all but two teams?
IMO a marketing disaster, I think there will be too much happening too quickly. Like June 27th cup final and celebrations June 28.
June 29 and 30th, league wise 75 players resigned, 24 trades (minor and major), then July 1 to 3 30 FA signed.
Maybe the NHL is trying for a massive Draft day loaded with trades, signings and other news. To make a movie? NHL Draft Day at the Sphere? So Bettman can walk up and say "you might want to here this"and/or "we have a trade" several times making the NHL look like a EA sports fantasy league loaded with player moves, news etc..

Then Boom, 2 months of vacating the news, hibernating quickly going to be #6 in sports news.

With all that could be happening the silence has made looking elsewhere easier. They flipped the switch, turned off the ...fans? Attention? Suddenly someone calling out McD in the news is the story, really? Who cares in LA, Dallas or the Devils. Those fans are going to sleep waiting for something to re-engage with their teams. The way the NHL is keeping everything under wraps some fans might lose interest. This is a case when no news is much, much worse than bad news.

One last thing STILL Has the NHL officially made a statement of what the cap is for next year, not an estimate but a statement? Lots of estimates, guesses but an outright statement?

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I really want to know more about this A Haul guy we could get for Demko.

Is he a Top 4 D or Top 6 F?

Maybe both ala Buff or Burns?

• Haha
Reactions: Bgav

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

I trade Demko if the medical staff knows more than we do and the information is something along the lines of there is a >50% chance that Demko regularly misses around 30-50% of most seasons based on a recurring injury or condition.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ugh...so many of these responses are just posters talking to the wind with no real expectation of a real response. Gawd I hate the off-season.

That being said...😘...it's crazy how many of the signings from the last off-season out performed their contracts and I wonder...if the Canucks mgmt thought so highly of them, why weren't at least a few of them offered multi year deals?

Blueger...Joshua...those are player's that you would think would have been eager to sign onto 2 or 3 year deals at 'maybe' a bit more than they signed up for on the 1 year deals.
There was lots of approval here for those short-term deals, and it was puzzling. I think it was a holdover from the Benning days. "If the players turn out to be awful, we won't be stuck with them!"

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I trade Demko if the medical staff knows more than we do and the information is something along the lines of there is a >50% chance that Demko regularly misses around 30-50% of most seasons based on a recurring injury or condition.

For what it is worth—there were rumors going back a couple off-seasons ago that the industry had serious concerns about Demko's long-term health. Please note the below tweet is from 2022 and is not recent.

IMO there is a clear path with Demko—and it's to split play with a 1B (Silovs, or someone else) like Boston has done with Swayman and Ullmark.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

A good summary of some names available, some of which we've discussed here. Niederbach seems like the low hanging fruit on the list as he was the highest pick left unsigned - given the multitude of Swedish connections in Vancouver, there may be something to it. I also didn't realize Mats Lindgren, another Vancouver product, was becoming a free agent.

I think Abbotsford's most glaring need is up front, which makes Ben King very appealing (and possibly Niederbach if he wants to come to NA). And organizationally, I feel like defense is always a need - if Sward and Lindgren would be amenable to playing in Abbotsford, possibly on AHL deals, that could be a great thing.

Ben King would be a good pick up. I'd give him an NHL contract honestly.

Tnias Mathurin - 6'3 LHD is one I'd definitely go after. Ian Cole type defender. Skates better than current Ian Cole though. lol
Speaking on other Battalion players. Anthony Romani if he is still there in the 3rd round, yes please. Dalyn Wakely for Abbotsford.

Maxim Barbashev also someone that was more a need in the prospect pool, similar to Klimovich a physical winger but the offence drying up in junior doesn't bode well. For free to Abbotsford. Why not.

From that article, I don't think the Canucks needs any small soft euro players.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Goalies don't have that type of value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad