Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would look at trying to move Mikheyev for Kotkaniemi. I just see a good fit for us, and honestly maybe a good fit for the Canes too if Mik regains some of his pre-injury form. His deal is also much shorter for them the Kotkaniemi.

For us, yeah its a gamble. But a gamble on a young guy, and worst case you buy him out for pennies on the dollar. Its the type of gamble I would like to make.

Otherwise it really depends on the cost of some of these guys. I would like Ehlers, but at what cost for trade? I like Necas, while I think the Canes overvalue him, I like his skillset, think we could use it.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Hronek wants his $8M AAV, folks. So is that also $7.5M+ Lindholm, $6M Zadorov, and $4M Joshua?

I read most of the article and it's a BS headline. They don't mean paycut by value relative to contract it's paycut as in new contract vs old contract. Myers getting 3M on a new deal isn't much a discount to me. And no shit Joshua is getting more than 800k, all our free agents outperformed their deals except maybe Cole. The question is how much do they want and how willing are they to budge for collective team success.

Reactions: racerjoe

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
There are very few young RD or C's that we could get in a package for Hronek right now, a pick would be useful but not ideal.

I do think our best bet is to re-sign Hronek, even if he's overpaid by 1M or whatever at 7.75 or whatever if you can get him under 8 long term thats a good signing. We simply cannot replace the value he's brought in the free agent market this year, Montour is getting more than Hronek will and he's the only comparative player. He and Hughes were the number one pairing in the NHL this season, if we have to cough it up to keep that you do it.

That said, if they decide his ask is too much and there's no budge I think pivoting his value into a winger for Pettersson instead of trying to sign one is the smart move. Necas has been rumoured, Ehlers is now popping up (and I've liked Ehlers for a long time), who knows who else might shake free from teams who are interested in him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sounds like we are out on Necas. Going to be in tough to land a top 6 forward at this rate. Won't be surprised if we sign Lindholm before UFA deadline.

I'm leaning this way as well, I'm not sure they'll have access to a forward even of his quality, I wouldn't be surprised if they pony up for him and figure other things out later. That would mean you're in real tight on the defense, though.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I'm leaning this way as well, I'm not sure they'll have access to a forward even of his quality, I wouldn't be surprised if they pony up for him and figure other things out later. That would mean you're in real tight on the defense, though.
If we can over pay for one of our UFA then I think Lindholm is the one you pay

Reactions: TruGr1t

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Looking at line combinations on the Daily Faceoff, I think the following teams are potential suitors for Hronek if we trade him (bolded seem most likely imo; I have not checked to see how realistic it is based on each team’s cap structure though):

Anaheim if they think they are ready to take next step (Zellweger and Gudas are their top 4 RD)

Carolina

Chicago (same boat as Anaheim)

Columbus (Severson, Gudbranson, Jiricek)

Dallas - Tanev and Hakanpaa are free agents

Edmonton - Kulak and Ceci are their other RD outside Bouchard

Florida - after Ekblad there isn’t much (Montour is a UFA)

LA - Roy is a UFA but Clarke/Spence are probably ready

Minnesota - Bogosian and Goligoski are after Faber

Nashville - Fabbro and Schenn are their top 4 RD (both not high end defenders, and are on short contracts/old), Carrier is a UFA

Ottawa - Bernard-Docker is on their second pairing

Seattle - Borgen is their 2nd pairing RD.

Toronto - Lyubushkin is in their top 4

Winnipeg - DeMelo is a UFA

Reactions: CanuckCity

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
There are very few young RD or C's that we could get in a package for Hronek right now, a pick would be useful but not ideal.

I do think our best bet is to re-sign Hronek, even if he's overpaid by 1M or whatever at 7.75 or whatever if you can get him under 8 long term thats a good signing. We simply cannot replace the value he's brought in the free agent market this year, Montour is getting more than Hronek will and he's the only comparative player. He and Hughes were the number one pairing in the NHL this season, if we have to cough it up to keep that you do it.

That said, if they decide his ask is too much and there's no budge I think pivoting his value into a winger for Pettersson instead of trying to sign one is the smart move. Necas has been rumoured, Ehlers is now popping up (and I've liked Ehlers for a long time), who knows who else might shake free from teams who are interested in him.
This is pretty much how I see it as well. While he had his struggles he's still a proven asset, RHD, and considering the likelihood our D gets thinned out through free agency there are a few reasons a slight overpay is an acceptable risk.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if hronek and lindholm are both on this team making 7m+ next year that's the end of this team's run imo. both are okay players that are going to get paid like stars and that plus the other cap issues on this team (mikheyev, oel, garland) are an insurmountable problem when they really desperately need to add some high end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad