Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d personally rather have Hronek at his $7M+ expected salary than Necas at his $7M+ expected salary.

That said, adding another top 6 winger, or preferably 2, is a HUGE need for this team and if they feel they can sign one of the available #4/5 RD’s to play alongside Hughea and bridge the gap until Willander is ready, it’s not a terrible option.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I’d personally rather have Hronek at his $7M+ expected salary than Necas at his $7M+ expected salary.

That said, adding another top 6 winger, or preferably 2, is a HUGE need for this team and if they feel they can sign one of the available #4/5 RD’s to play alongside Hughea and bridge the gap until Willander is ready, it’s not a terrible option.
I’d rather keep Hronek. We paid a premium to acquire him and he plays well with Hughes. In the end, he’s a RFA and worst case he signs a bridge imo.

If Lindholm walks and we can somehow dump Mikheyev, there should be enough cap to add two top 6 forwards.

Feb 19, 2018
Mikheyev needs to be the first order of Buisness so you can secure Tanev. Once that’s done you have the flexibility to move Hronek for some pieces or a top 6 winger. I know Carolina loves Hoglander but in a deal I don’t see where Necas can come into play because of the Cap space needed.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Hronek gets traded and Allvin manages to get a nice add with Necas, I hope they go hard after Rasmus Andersson.

Calgary unlikely to move him and if they did, it would cost a lot, but he would be ideal.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The inescapable conclusion is that this is kind of a dangerous off-season for the Canucks. Get it wrong, and there's a chance the Canucks fall back, instead of building on their 2023-24 season.

The Hockey News was alluding to this in one of their off-season team assessments. Let's face it.....the Canucks mostly avoided serious injuries last season. In fact before Demko went down, they were amazingly healthy most of the season. Will that happen again? Unlikely.

And with nine UFA's on the books......the reality is that without major surgery to the payroll, the Canucks are going to have to let a lot of them walk. So if it turns out that some of the kids they're penciling in from Abbotsford aren't ready.....than building on last year's Pacific Division title will be tough.

I just have a sense that Allvin is going to seriously shake things up again this off-season. They could well be one of the NHL's most active teams.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think Necas will be worth a ton and they could both acquire Necas and re-sign Hronek,

It sounds like his value is not as high as originally thought (if the rumours are true), but not sure how you'd fit that in cap-wise. That's combined like $15-$16M+ AAV next year if you extend them both long-term. That leaves you basically $9-$10M for the rest of the roster (if you don't move Mikheyev) to replace Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov, Blueger, Cole and Myers.

That also probably becomes a major problem when Hughes and Demko's contracts come up. I won't lie though, when I heard Carolina was asking for a "#3 defenseman" I thought maybe we could convince them to do something around Soucy, but I think they'll be looking at right-side guys with Pesce and Chatfield looking like they're gone.

Reactions: theguardianII

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It sounds like his value is not as high as originally thought (if the rumours are true), but not sure how you'd fit that in cap-wise. That's combined like $15-$16M+ AAV next year if you extend them both long-term. That leaves you basically $9-$10M for the rest of the roster (if you don't move Mikheyev) to replace Lindholm, Joshua, Zadorov, Blueger, Cole and Myers.

That also probably becomes a major problem when Hughes and Demko's contracts come up. I won't lie though, when I heard Carolina was asking for a "#3 defenseman" I thought maybe we could convince them to do something around Soucy, but I think they'll be looking at right-side guys with Pesce and Chatfield looking like they're gone.
z
canes don’t have that much leverage. Necas is a rfa, don’t want to extend with them long term, put up 50ish points and wants 7+ long term.
I think teams wants to bet on him but to pay a premium and bet on him seems a lot.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I feel like they are going to trade away Hronek if they extend Zadorov. I just don’t see us spending THAT much money on the D.
Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Myers
Dillon - Zadorov

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just noticed Graham Sward on the list. I was interested in him in the draft. 20 year old Abbotsford kid that had 81 points as a LD in the WHL last season. @MS any reason you can think of he hasn’t been signed to an ELC?

I certainly thought he would get signed. And I'd be happy to give him an ELC. Probably the 2nd best D in the WHL last year next to Mateychuk although he was obviously an overage.

Rangy guy, skating a little funny but I think actually gets around better than he looks. Moves the puck well, nice shot and very good at getting shots through on net on the PP. Wenatchee started the year as a top team and then traded everyone away and I thought his production would crater ... but he actually kept ripping it up in the 2nd half and led that team in scoring down the stretch.

Reminds me a bit of a guy like Cody Franson who obviously had a pretty decent NHL career.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Thoughts on Blankenburg, undersized guy but plays bigger than he is. Can platoon with Cole if hes re-signed at a discount.

Hughes X
Soucy Myers
Zadarov Blankenburg
Cole Juulsen

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I feel like they are going to trade away Hronek if they extend Zadorov. I just don’t see us spending THAT much money on the D.
Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Myers
Dillon - Zadorov

I'm not sure I love the alignment, again not enough puck-movers and/or offense here. I'd agree though, you aren't keeping Hronek and Zadorov, I don't see how that works cap-wise along with an improvement at forward. I'd leave Z on the left and try to make room for one of DeMelo, Walker or someone like that on the right-side. I don't think you need Dillon with Hughes/Soucy/Z down the left, and maybe you bring Cole back on the cheap to back those guys up.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I really don't see a Hronek-Necas deal happening. There's a lot of smoke around Necas, but essentially nothing reported that Carolina is interested in Hronek.

And that makes sense to me. It's not Carolina's MO to trade for a guy who is now poised to get a big raise. They're literally going to let go of several of their current defensemen up for raises.
What if it still Pettersson? Canucks sign Lindholm, get Necas+++

Brock Boeser is another player the Canucks will need to watch, he is a FA at the end of next season so maybe that 6.675 mil going in Necas direction isn't such a bad idea, especially if they pull the trigger sooner.

For a "win now" constructed roster,
Lindholm, Guentzel, Marner (in a trade for Hronek), or Stamkos or ....
No Petey but a power house line for a couple of years.
Sign Tanev
Trade for Crouse and Kesserling, or not.

If Petey did go that's an addtional 11 mil in cap space, more than enough to pay Marner. If any of Boeser, Mikheyev, Garland are dealt there wold be a return.

If it is to build for just 2 years then ....

Another thought too is IF they get Necas, sign him to a 7 X 7 or around there and he bombs, buying him out is WAAAayyyy cheaper than OEL's.

But if he works out then he could be that old McKinnon contract, way under paid.

From January 9th on the Canucks were 23-9-6 good for 52 points and a playoff spot. That was with Boeser, Pettersson and Hronek all falling flat on scoring. There is something to be said about a good defensive group. Even with Demko hurt.

Hughes and Hronek, QH needs a RHD? He doesn't play with one on most PP's. Project in 3 years Hronek at 8 mil an Hughes at 12 mil. Even if the cap is 100 mil that's two players with 1/5 the total and both mostly on the ice at the same time and only one puck.

I think there will be news shortly, re-signings at least but a Necas trade will rock the coast especially if he is signed also. Teams can talk to agents now so ..... Curious though, if traded before the end of the season, the end of the playoffs and before the draft is he eligible for a 8 year deal. In theory it is still the 2023/2024 season.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Myers
Dillon - Zadorov
How much money?

They spent right around 28 mil on defence last year. Is 26 million too much this year?

To get quality back quality has to be traded. Garland for Necas?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thoughts on Blankenburg, undersized guy but plays bigger than he is. Can platoon with Cole if hes re-signed at a discount.

Hughes X
Soucy Myers
Zadarov Blankenburg
Cole Juulsen

I like him but it depends on the rest of the D corps. Canucks value size and unless they bring in more size, he’d rarely get playing time like Friedman.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Here's a wild couple;
EP to Carolina for Necas (C), Kotkaniemi, prospect Nishkin and a high pick.
Hronek's rights to either Utah or Columbus, Utah for Crouse and Kesserling, to Columbus for Jirieck and one of Marchenko/Voronkov/Chinakov/Johnson/Sillinger My preference in order there.

Try out Kot here for a year or two, his buyout is almost negligible if it is a bomb.
ALSO remember who they just signed to coach the AHL team just down the highway, Maholtra. I bet he can teach Necas and Kot how to win FO's.

Two players out, EP's 11+ mil added back in, Hronek's not spent and EP's used on ALL of the ABOVE..
The team still has close o 26 mil in LTIR cap space to use.
A tidy sum to pursue a high end FA or two. Guentzel, Lindholm. Sign Zadorov to 5.5 X 7, Myers to 2.65 X 3

Instant youth, size, cap control, cap space. Even if it cost all next year's draft picks these guys if they all work out are good for 7 years with most still under 30 yrs old.

They could still move Garland, Boeser or Mikheyev but they would not need to for next season.

Just a subtraction of two high level players fills the roster, depth charts, adds cap control and youth. A very bold move if ever done but this market has shown winning is more important now than a shiny new penny winning a meaningless personal trophy or accolades

Just one more note, the team went to game seven in the second round with neither Pettersson or Hronek scoring hardly at all and niether scoring much from January at all, half a season and all the playoffs

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Here's a wild couple;
Hronek's rights to either Utah or Columbus, Utah for Crouse and Kesserling, to Columbus for Jirieck and one of Marchenko/Voronkov/Chinakov/Johnson/Sillinger My preference in order there.

Try out Kot here for a year or two, his buyout is almost negligible if it is a bomb.
ALSO remember who they just signed to coach the AHL team just down the highway, Maholtra. I bet he can teach Necas and Kot how to win FO's.

Two players out, EP's 11+ mil added back in, Hronek's not spent and EP's used on ALL of the ABOVE..
A tidy sum to pursue a high end FA or two. Guentzel, Lindholm. Sign Zadorov to 5.5 X 7, Myers to 2.65 X 3

Instant youth, size, cap control, cap space. Even if it cost all next year's draft picks these guys if they all work out are good for 7 years with most still under 30 yrs old.

They could still move Garland, Boeser or Mikheyev but they would not need to for next season.

Just a subtraction of two high level players fills the roster, depth charts, adds cap control and youth. A very bold move if ever done but this market has shown winning is more important now than a shiny new penny winning a meaningless personal trophy or accolades

Just one more note, the team went to game seven in the second round with neither Pettersson or Hronek scoring hardly at all and niether scoring much from January at all, half a season and all the playoffs
Carolina has already refused to give up Nikishin in any deal.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Here's a wild couple;

KK was already a project when Waddell offersheeted. Even though he's still relatively young the progress hasn't been there despite the massive investment on him. Taking him in is losing 1M more in cap space for the next God knows how many seasons as a buyout would be guaranteed. Necas wouldn't come in much cheaper than EP, probably 7-8M per year long term. Despite Petey's struggles he's still a PPG player in the regular season at his wobbliest, which Necas has never been able to achieve and didn't come close this season. We save maybe 3M in cap space but clearly downgrade upfront, so we'd need to spend at least that much to make up the difference anyways.

We aren't going to get an EANHL trade for Hronek. Every GM knows he'll command a high salary. We may get good value but it'll be plenty of salary coming back. Very unlikely we can get cap relief by moving him out without taking on unproven prospects as the centerpiece(s) and if we do our right side will be a joke next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad