Rumor: Canucks heavily looking at waivers for RD and C

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
No joke, Calgary could do worse than Cole Bardreau. Guy has a motor, super hard worker, would be a fan favorite quickly as a fill-in. I'd love to see him back in Bridgeport, u=but it'd be great to see him back in the NHL.
I'd hate to lose him and Hutton, think they have every day NHL potential but they'll likely never get that chance with the current roster makeup. Koivula is a nothing piece imo, wouldn't lose any sleep if he was scooped up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks re-signed Sutter knowing his track record over the prior 6 seasons with the team in regards to his health. By doing that they needed a depth option in their 13/14 forward who could cover for Sutter given his track record of injuries.

And now with him out they are checking the waiver wire for someone? Like seriously?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
ryan carpenter 1 season left at a million. hawks have to many fowards as is.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Canucks re-signed Sutter knowing his track record over the prior 6 seasons with the team in regards to his health. By doing that they needed a depth option in their 13/14 forward who could cover for Sutter given his track record of injuries.

And now with him out they are checking the waiver wire for someone? Like seriously?
Yup, relying on him as your 4th line Center without a backup plan is pretty narrow minded

Reactions: Canuck86

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Dowling has been fine in pre-season and can play the 4th line C role for a while. We can also use Miller as a C in the short term and move Dickinson to 4th C. This would be a little concerning if Sutter is out long term. RHD is the area of need. Hamonic dealing with his issues has been a real kick in the junk, because this was already our weak spot with him in the line up. Brady Keeper was in consideration for the 4th RHD position/first RHD call up and now he is out for the season, so this is definitely an area of concern for the Canucks so a RHD that can play defensively sound hockey should be our #1, #2, and #3 priorities on waivers, trade market, Europe, College, the local beer league and any other place right shot defensemen might gather.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I agree just use what you got unless an obvious player comes though on waivers, then make a claim. There’s zero reason to waste an asset (and cap space) on a trade to fill a temp void.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
giphy.gif

Is there something the Flames need we didn't know we needed?
I thought you needed a 4th C. He’s not going to hurt you.

Oops. No idea why I wrote Calgary. Meant Van.

Reactions: Figgy44

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Riikola may be the odd man out through no fault of his own. I don't think he's waiver material but a trade for a 4th or a prospect would work.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Engvall would be a good pick up if he hits the waiver wire. Plays wing and centre. Skates really well. Hard shot. Just a bit dumb.

I would think the Leafs would try to trade him for a mid/late round pick if they have to put him on waivers but if he ends up there he would be a good pick-up for a team with room in their bottom 6.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Engvall would be a good pick up if he hits the waiver wire. Plays wing and centre. Skates really well. Hard shot. Just a bit dumb.

I would think the Leafs would try to trade him for a mid/late round pick if they have to put him on waivers but if he ends up there he would be a good pick-up for a team with room in their bottom 6.

Does Engvall kill penalties?

This is probably the number one thing the Canucks will be looking at especially since Motte is still hurt. Motte is easily their best PKer when healthy.

The problem with having a very skilled forward group is that non of them play or should play the PK.

Pettersson
Boeser
Garland
Hoglander

Bottom 6ers for the Canucks must surely be able to be defensive or kill penalties.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Noah Juulsen is being called up for FLA tomorrow when they play TB again.
He needs to clear waivers before regular season starts. He's a BC guy.

He's a RD but can't stay healthy...like ever. Has some decent skill/pedigree but at 24 and only 48 total NHL games played, this is a crucial year for him to prove he can be a consistent NHLer one day, it won't be with FLA

if he's called back up, doesn't he have to clear again?

Juulsen has to spend 30 days on the NHL roster or play 10 games to be waiver eligible again.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
LOL. do you really think teams have knee jerk reactions like that? There are so many players going on waivers this time a year, teams are going to put the players on waivers that makes the most sense to them and not think about the needs of 30 other hockey clubs. Cmon now...

Yeah but if a team has a guy they really don't want to loose on waivers whom they were considering "chancing it" with would have second thoughts about it and try to have him avoid the waiver wire. I am thinking about guys like Pierre Engvall... maybe the Leafs were considering waiving but now they know for sure he likely gets claimed they'll think twice about it.

It doesn't affect most players that are gonna get waived but it likely has impact on the margins on the "cream of the crop of the waiver wire" type players (like a Pierre Engvall).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yeah but if a team has a guy they really don't want to loose on waivers whom they were considering "chancing it" with would have second thoughts about it and try to have him avoid the waiver wire. I am thinking about guys like Pierre Engvall... maybe the Leafs were considering waiving but now they know for sure he likely gets claimed they'll think twice about it.

It doesn't affect most players that are gonna get waived but it likely has impact on the margins on the "cream of the crop of the waiver wire" type players (like a Pierre Engvall).
But teams are going to have situations like that all over the place. Let's say the Leafs don't want to lose Pierre Engvall, so instead they are going to put a guy on waivers that they actually like better than him and hope he doesn't get picked by the 30 other teams that didn't state they "had a need" for some position. When a guy is waived, teams go into expecting to lose them and they are the best person to go on waivers in their organization because they value everyone else above them for some reason or another. Everybody acts like waivers is such a tightrope and you lose so many gems, but how often does a guy put on waivers go on to be a pivotal player for their new team? If you count all the waivers all season, that percentage is super low. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it happens so rarely the number is nominal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad