Rumor: Canucks getting lots of calls on Horvat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sabres also weren't willing to take back or retain salary plus their were health issues. Not saying they will get that price but circumstances are different. If Canucks are willing to take money back. Taking on someone like Erik Johnson's salary or retain Horvat's salary I could see them getting two blue chip prospects back.

Yes you're not just trading the player but also the contract. Eichel got less than he's actually worth, because his contract and injury status limited who could acquire him. Horvat's contract lets him have a much wider market, such that he should be able to get equal or greater value than his worth in future assets. How that plays out remains to be seen but the 'if x only got z then y has to get less than z' argument doesn't really apply here.

Big caveat that this is all if the Canucks had a GM willing to sell. I don't think any Canuck fan are going to expect some big haul as long as Jim Benning is still running the team. My personal opinion, while I really hate to do it, I'd say the Canucks path forward under new management this season when you balance cap realities/values is to move Miller and Horvat for the biggest future packages you can get between now and the deadline and hire a new coach who can start teaching the remaining core Pettersson/Boeser/Hughes/etc how to play proper NHL hockey while you retool this season and next.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Lol your missing the point. I just used the sens as a comparison.

my point is Barron is not some blue chip prospect. Lots of teams have similar prospects.

when Foote was trade for Coleman he was the same tier as Barron. Recent first round pick d.

Horvat is much better than Coleman.

Use some common sense. A late first and a recent first round d is not some enticing offer that you think it is
1) Nolan Foote is not a dman. He’s a forward.

2) Horvat is better than Coleman but he’s also paid a lot more. Coleman’s contract was a large reason he was so enticing to Tampa. Also it was widely agreed that Tampa overpaid in that deal- why is it being considered the standard?

3) 2 1st round picks is a solid offer. It could be beat sure but if it is that’s an L for the team who offered it. Which team is going to offer more than that considering Horvat has struggled this season and his lack of term?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would say Horvat for Newhook with some things on each side would be good for both sides.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wait, who is the Ryan Suter in this scenario? Miller or Horvat?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Is he a 2nd line centre on a Cup-calibre team? Or a third line centre?

Thats such a vague question,

Which cup contending team? whats their centres look like?

Horvat is 60+ point, faceoff machine and good for 25 goals.

If he is a 3C on your team then thats awesome C depth you have.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I hope it's true and we move on and get a big return. He's a captain who has lost the room and has no answers for the media. Give the C to Miller and move Horvat for futures.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canucks would be wiser to trade Miller, who is older, having a great year so far, and would be worth...well, maybe not more, but they would be selling high on him. They would be selling low on Horvat. If he has checked out and is unlikely to re-sign, then they might have to do it, though. seems like if the rot is that deep in the club then at the very least they have to look at firing the coach.

Back in the bubble I thought the Canucks was an up and coming team, sort of like the Canes a few years ago.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Newhook + Barron for Horvat.

Allows the Avs to make a major push for the Cup with Mac-Horvat-Kadri(if not suspended) down the middle.

Nucks get their RHD prospect and a center to eventually replace Horvat.

Miller could slide into the middle or not depending how Newhook adapts.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Canucks would be wiser to trade Miller, who is older, having a great year so far, and would be worth...well, maybe not more, but they would be selling high on him. They would be selling low on Horvat. If he has checked out and is unlikely to re-sign, then they might have to do it, though. seems like if the rot is that deep in the club then at the very least they have to look at firing the coach.
Miller is our best forward right now. Horvat needs a change of scenery and would still garner a good return. To change the culture, they need to change the leadership up and down the organization; captain, coach, GM, new president, keep FA away from day to day ops....

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
I feel there are reasons miller has been moved multiple times. Never know what is going on behind closed doors but there are serious rumblings of it being miller vs horvat. I see miller on his way out before our youngish captain. The real need for the canucks is a new gm and coach. Give everyone on the team a fresh start then figure out who needs or wants to go.
Get rid of benning and green!

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I hope it's true and we move on and get a big return. He's a captain who has lost the room and has no answers for the media. Give the C to Miller and move Horvat for futures.

Why would we give the C to Miller who will be UFA in 2 years at 30 yrs old.

unless the Canucks are planning to commit to him with a 5+ yr extension in 2 years which I would not be thrilled with especially with the mileage Miller has and the way he plays the game, its bound to break down sooner than later and probably not shortly after the age of 30 yrs old.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Eh, I don't really agree on a few fronts. Newhook is a top prospect, but Barron isn't the same category. Good prospect, recent first rounder whose stock certainly has not gone down, but he's not a "blue chipper" like Newhook and certainly not Byram (although we may be arguing the semantics of what blue chip means here).

I do think Horvat is worth a Newhook and Barron if he's moved. As I see it he's a clear #2 center good for about 60 points a year who's quite affordable for the next two seasons at 5.5. To be clear, given the Avs' cap constrains and how Sakic operates I don't think there's any chance Sakic moves Newhook for someone with only 1.5 years of team control. But I think Horvat gets a top return if he's moved.

Of course, I also thought Eichel was going to get at least one more Barron-calibre piece in return and the Sabres botched that...so what do I know.

Barron + I'm okay with, even though I'm quite high on him. But I think Newhook would be a regretted pretty quickly, especially since Horvat's only signed for 2 more years. We'd essentially be replacing Kadri with him while still lacking forward depth.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
YYC will take your problems off your hand Vancouver... Sean Monahan for Bo Horvat! He's responsible and he likes toast. He won't be upsetting anyone in the room either ;)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I speak for myself here… but I think us Canuck fans are so tired of “rebuilding/retooling” that anything less than a great return seems pointless. Nor do we trust our management.
He's 2nd line center. He isn't some stud. Also by the sounds of it, he might be getting isolated in the locker room. Not much of a leader either.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Is he a 2nd line centre on a Cup-calibre team? Or a third line centre?
Horvat, playing at his usual level (i.e. don't judge this tire fire season where the players have quit), is a 1B/2B-level center. Unless that Cup caliber team has a Malkin-like 2nd line center, Horvat is more than capable of filling that role on a contender. He's basically a B. Schenn-level center and the Blues just won a Cup with him.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad