Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 1 | Quietest GDT of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
To be fair OEL is an excellent young dman signed fairly long term on a very good contract, personally if I was starting a team there's only about 2 or 3 guys I'd take over OEL so you're absolutely building around the right guy.

Doughty and Hedman?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
For the uptenth time the other poster said it in the post I quoted, I used Kesler as an example of a player that on the surface elevates his game because he rattles tho boards around and puts on a mighty game face, but in reality his results don't exactly back it up. Within the post I was arguing about the notion of Kesler being a player you win with which is bogus considering Ryan Kesler has literally won nothing. Sure it has nothing to do with you, but neither did the part of my post you bolded.

I have also been impressed with Hamhuis since he's returned, he looks like a very good #3 as of right now.

For more than the uptenth time, you missed our point.

Hamhuis looks like a new man, and I feel horrible for what he went though. He is such a great person. Love the dude!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yup, I was just thinking that too. OEL, Yandle, Rundblad and Gormley were seen as an excellent base for their organization.

OEL is... well, he's OEL. He's a surefire guy. You can build a team around him.

Yandle is gifted offensively, but as it turned out can be a trainwreck in his own end. He's like... a lesser version on both ends of Erik Karlsson.

Rundblad, as... biased as I am on his looks (he's a bae), couldn't translate his skill set to the NHL, and I'm surprised Chicago re-signed him ad a 7D, but they're a near-dynasty and can do whatever the hell they want.

Gormley is a borderline bust at this point. As a Coyotes fan, I'm glad we traded him for anything, even if that anything turns out to be nothing.

We need shutdown D-men and Zbynek Michalek is past his prime as one. We need to move on from him.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
OEL is... well, he's OEL. He's a surefire guy. You can build a team around him.

Yandle is gifted offensively, but as it turned out can be a trainwreck in his own end. He's like... a lesser version on both ends of Erik Karlsson.

Rundblad, as... biased as I am on his looks (he's a bae), couldn't translate his skill set to the NHL, and I'm surprised Chicago re-signed him ad a 7D, but they're a near-dynasty and can do whatever the hell they want.

Gormley is a borderline bust at this point. As a Coyotes fan, I'm glad we traded him for anything, even if that anything turns out to be nothing.

We need shutdown D-men and Zbynek Michalek is past his prime as one. We need to move on from him.

I hear Hamhuis is on the market....for a good pick. ;)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
For more than the uptenth time, you missed our point.

Hamhuis looks like a new man, and I feel horrible for what he went though. He is such a great person. Love the dude!

No, it seems like you're completely missing my point. I explained my logic, the part of the post you bolded has nothing to do with your point, it had to do with him calling Ryan Kesler a player you win with I cannot understand how you can't grasp that. Why do you keep clinging to this "point" notion, in most cases arguments start from one simple idea and form into numerous ideas, I was just retorting one of his ideas. It just seems like you're arguing for the sake of it at this point.

I agree on Hamhuis, if we can't swing the right deal for him I'm completely open to resigning him to a fair 2/3 year contact.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
No, it seems like you're completely missing my point. I explained my logic, the part of the post you bolded has nothing to do with your point, it had to do with him calling Ryan Kesler a player you win with I cannot understand how you can't grasp that. Why do you keep clinging to this "point" notion, in most cases arguments start from one simple idea and form into numerous ideas, I was just retorting one of his ideas. It just seems like you're arguing for the sake of it at this point.

I agree on Hamhuis, if we can't swing the right deal for him I'm completely open to resigning him to a fair 2/3 year contact.

Okay, fine...I'll refrain. What was my initial thought?
Before you get lost in numbers and stats again, let me remind you. I said the Twins only have 4th gear in them, and the playoffs are an entirely different animal, and take place in the '5 gear', and the Twins do not have that gear in them.
Everything else that followed, was initiated by you...

And that is okay. I mentioned a few times that I understand where you are coming from..

You are getting lost in the numbers, I think. Having trouble 'seeing the forrest for the trees'...

Regardless, I love your passion for the Sedins, and believe it or not...I love them too.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, fine...I'll refrain. What was my initial thought?
Before you get lost in numbers and stats again, let me remind you. I said the Twins only have 4th gear in them, and the playoffs are an entirely different animal, and take place in the '5 gear', and the Twins do not have that gear in them.
Everything else that followed, was initiated by you...

And that is okay. I mentioned a few times that I understand where you are coming from..

You are getting lost in the numbers, I think. Having trouble 'seeing the forrest for the trees'...

Regardless, I love your passion for the Sedins, and believe it or not...I love them too.

I'm just not the type of person who bases things of "gears" I just feel like people overrated rattling the boards and angry game faces. The Sedins are cerebral players they don't change their style of play in the playoffs. The Sedins have had some good playoff series and some bad ones but at the end of the day they've done what's needed from them and that's just produce good 1st line results. I understand what you're saying about heart etc, but I'm more of an analytic guy as like I've already illustrated the human eye is fairly biased. I guess we just have different ways of looking at things, it's fine there's nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Doughty and Karlsson for sure, and Hedman is debatable. Hedman gets to play with Stfalman though, arguably the most underrated player in the league so he definitely is put in a better situation than OEL.

Hedman is so underrated it's not even funny. His exit from his own end is a thing of beauty and automatic. If he was in the western conference people here would be drooling all over him. This is the main reason why , as crazy as it sounds, that I was happy for the Oilers winning the McDavid lottery. The fact that a complete stud is in our backyard essentially is fantastic. I know Hedman isn't of that calibre, but the point remains.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Do you remember the point, now? My simple idea?

I love a good debate about the team we love; but keep it on point.

Go Nucks! And I love the Twins too.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'm just not the type of person who bases things of "gears" I just feel like people overrated rattling the boards and angry game faces. The Sedins are cerebral players they don't change their style of play in the playoffs. The Sedins have had some good playoff series and some bad ones but at the end of the day they've done what's needed from them and that's just produce good 1st line results. I understand what you're saying about heart etc, but I'm more of an analytic guy as like I've already illustrated the human eye is fairly biased. I guess we just have different ways of looking at things, it's fine there's nothing wrong with having an opinion.

..and that is great! Heck, I love your feelings for the Twins! But....you went way way off topic...

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hedman is so underrated it's not even funny. His exit from his own end is a thing of beauty and automatic. If he was in the western conference people here would be drooling all over him. This is the main reason why , as crazy as it sounds, that I was happy for the Oilers winning the McDavid lottery. The fact that a complete stud is in our backyard essentially is fantastic. I know Hedman isn't of that calibre, but the point remains.

Hedman is fantastic, I agree with you. The thing is so are other dman in the league, like OEL. Personally I'd take Doughty and Karlsson over anyone in the league, but OEL is just as good as Hedman if not better, he has played some of the hardest minutes in the entire league the past few years has put up good offense on a fairly anemic team and produces fantastic possession and sheer defensive results despite not playing with a partner of Stralman's caliber.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This version of Hamhuis... KEEP HIM! KEEP HIM!

No problem trading the pre- injury version Hamhuis... This one tho... We keep.

It seems the time off helped get his core back... Mobility looks fantastic!

Just bank on cashing in on Vrbata at this point. That's it.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

I'm thinking, that's were you got lost...

Try to understand what we are saying, even if you don't agree...but take a few moments to put yourself in the other shoe.

If no change...okay!

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Lol that's usually what happens in non GDT arguments, the entire topic was largely off topic so do you blame me :sarcasm:

I kid, I kid.

:)

You know what? It's good to have differing opinions! Main point is, we love our team.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This version of Hamhuis... KEEP HIM! KEEP HIM!

No problem trading the pre- injury version Hamhuis... This one tho... We keep.

It seems the time off helped get his core back... Mobility looks fantastic!

Just bank on cashing in on Vrbata at this point. That's it.

this hamhuis gets a first

this vrbata gets a third

doesn't matter if we keep both, because we're not making the playoffs either way

i prefer the scenario in which we miss and get the picks.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
this hamhuis gets a first

this vrbata gets a third

doesn't matter if we keep both, because we're not making the playoffs either way

i prefer the scenario in which we miss and get the picks.

Pre injury Hamhuis that was going on reputation alone would've gotten a first. Hamhuis playing like regular Hamhuis gets alot more. Multiple pick(s) + prospect(s).

How much would've we paid to get a Hamhuis when we were contenders earlier in the decade? Multiple pick(s), and prospect(s).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks need to bring the moms to all the game. Love how everyone seemed to congratulating Miller's mom on the an apparent great save but then they after seeing the replay and they were all pointing over to Mrs. Biega. Can see how they are right into it. Funny that it's Dads that are always dissecting the game but often the Moms know more about what is going on. That's often been my experience in coaching.

Thought that Cracknell, Etem, Hutton (huge), the Sedins, Hansen, Hamhuis (beginning to think re-signing isn't the worst option), Miller and Bart were the pick of the Canucks.

Virtanen just abounds with potential. When he fills out he'll probably be in the 220 range and very strong. That speed and strength will be difficult to handle. Got nailed tonight and didn't seem to stop him. Had some problems getting the puck out of his zone and the coaches need to work on that. Needs a center who can feed him off the rush and not sure the team has that right now. However, McCann may have potential to be that.

On Sedins. Little use looking in the rear view. The Sedins, with no questions asked, have been great. The questions are about the future. the Canucks have a pretty decent core developing. The biggest concern IMO should be how do we add to that core. Certainly the draft is a key and thus all the legitimate consideration about tanking. The other alternative is to trade aging stars for future players. That's where the Sedins come in. I think you have to take the practical view that if they can get something important (and it needs to be something decisive) for the future and you have any concern the Sedins maybe fade (and you wonder about Henrik a bit) then you are doing less than due diligence if you ignore this avenue to improvement.

Sure there are other factors such as loyalty, leadership and whole bunch of like issues. However, if the play of the Sedins starts falling off badly next year (and they have never been the greatest skaters) and we are heading into cap hell. The next two years would be write offs IMO.

I know the argument can be made that the Sedins may well continue to play at the high level the team needs and that's important for creating a good environment for the younger players to develop in. And I know people don't want this discussion. But for any organization to be successful in sports or anything else hard decisions have to be made.

Again these need to balanced against the effect such decisions can have on morale and commitment of those in the organization. In the case of the Sedins this is a critical consideration. But saying there is nothing to consider here and to reject out of hand any suggestion that the Sedins be moved is ignoring the very difficult situation created when aging high end cap players begin to become liabilities. Lots of team have been caught in this predicament and isn't pretty (especially for the players). Knowing when to move players is hugely important for any GM.

Would a say that if the Canucks can keep up their present play and illustrate they are a legit playoff team any consideration of moving the Sedins is off the table. However, if the decision is reached that we are not, then everything needs to be on the table if it is in the long terms interests of the team.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
good win for the team with the moms in the building and good team defence after losing two important defensive players in edler and sutter

that said, i pretty much dozed off in the middle of this game due to boredom...i'll need to watch some more out-of-town games to decide for myself whether it's just the canucks that i find dull as dishwater or whether it's just the current state of the league that doesn't pique my interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad