Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 1 | Quietest GDT of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
The top seed team may not be there in the end. Everything else aside, I'd much rather watch one round of playoff hockey than sit here and cheer for losses as so many are doing. I'll cancel my cable subscription rather than do that.

I have to think that Team Tank doesn't watch the games... why would you watch a game and cheer for a loss? Where's the fun in that?

For me, if we can sneak into the playoffs healthy and knock out Chicago (or at least throw a scare into them) I'll consider that as satisfying as a Stanley Cup for the year. Stranger things have happened.

We trade Hamhuis for a very late round first? I think I'd rather take my chances with playoffs this year than take my chances with Nicklas Jensen 2.0 four years from now.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Canucks need to bring the moms to all the game. Love how everyone seemed to congratulating Miller's mom on the an apparent great save but then they after seeing the replay and they were all pointing over to Mrs. Biega. Can see how they are right into it. Funny that it's Dads that are always dissecting the game but often the Moms know more about what is going on. That's often been my experience in coaching.

Thought that Cracknell, Etem, Hutton (huge), the Sedins, Hansen, Hamhuis (beginning to think re-signing isn't the worst option), Miller and Bart were the pick of the Canucks.

Virtanen just abounds with potential. When he fills out he'll probably be in the 220 range and very strong. That speed and strength will be difficult to handle. Got nailed tonight and didn't seem to stop him. Had some problems getting the puck out of his zone and the coaches need to work on that. Needs a center who can feed him off the rush and not sure the team has that right now. However, McCann may have potential to be that.

On Sedins. Little use looking in the rear view. The Sedins, with no questions asked, have been great. The questions are about the future. the Canucks have a pretty decent core developing. The biggest concern IMO should be how do we add to that core. Certainly the draft is a key and thus all the legitimate consideration about tanking. The other alternative is to trade aging stars for future players. That's where the Sedins come in. I think you have to take the practical view that if they can get something important (and it needs to be something decisive) for the future and you have any concern the Sedins maybe fade (and you wonder about Henrik a bit) then you are doing less than due diligence if you ignore this avenue to improvement.

Sure there are other factors such as loyalty, leadership and whole bunch of like issues. However, if the play of the Sedins starts falling off badly next year (and they have never been the greatest skaters) and we are heading into cap hell. The next two years would be write offs IMO.

I know the argument can be made that the Sedins may well continue to play at the high level the team needs and that's important for creating a good environment for the younger players to develop in. And I know people don't want this discussion. But for any organization to be successful in sports or anything else hard decisions have to be made.

Again these need to balanced against the effect such decisions can have on morale and commitment of those in the organization. In the case of the Sedins this is a critical consideration. But saying there is nothing to consider here and to reject out of hand any suggestion that the Sedins be moved is ignoring the very difficult situation created when aging high end cap players begin to become liabilities. Lots of team have been caught in this predicament and isn't pretty (especially for the players). Knowing when to move players is hugely important for any GM.

Would a say that if the Canucks can keep up their present play and illustrate they are a legit playoff team any consideration of moving the Sedins is off the table. However, if the decision is reached that we are not, then everything needs to be on the table if it is in the long terms interests of the team.

This team is heading cap hell? How? There are no big contracts coming up this year burrows and miller coming off. I do not see any cap problems. Sedins may be crappy the rest of the year and still bounce back next year. Getting rid of them hurts your relations with all other players because if you are willing to treat them like commodities what is your loyalty to any other player?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Yeah I was wondering why I kept reading "cap hell" on here. The Canucks are in decent shape financially looking at the next few years.

Must be one of those buzz words MS used and then every one else tries to use to sound smart. That seems to happen a lot on here from what I've read.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hutton with the highest minutes on the team last night and played well.
We look to have found another top 4 defenseman with a later pick. Who knows what his ceiling is.
Edler, Tanev, Hutton. The team has had remarkable success finding these gems in the later rounds or as undrafted players. Quite remarkable for a team that hasn't used a first round pick on a defenseman since Luc Bourdon (RIP).

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I have to think that Team Tank doesn't watch the games... why would you watch a game and cheer for a loss? Where's the fun in that?

For me, if we can sneak into the playoffs healthy and knock out Chicago (or at least throw a scare into them) I'll consider that as satisfying as a Stanley Cup for the year. Stranger things have happened.

We trade Hamhuis for a very late round first? I think I'd rather take my chances with playoffs this year than take my chances with Nicklas Jensen 2.0 four years from now.

What make you think this team 3-12, in their last 3 playoffs while being totally manhandled could win a playoff round IF they even got there?

So when they miss the playoffs, miss a top draft pick where the studs lie, then watch assets like Vrbata and Hamhuis walk for nothing after the season you are totally good with that? You think that is good asset management?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
For a Canuck fan it was a legendary moment. I am no fan of Kesler the person, but as a player that series was unreal.

I honestly cannot say I haver ever looked back at a playoff series and thought "Wow, the Sedins really carried the team there and won it for them"
You don't think they did in the San Jose series?

I think this is more evidence that you're not watching closely enough and a little too enamoured by rah rah heroics than practical effectiveness. The Sedins certainly have issues in the playoffs and aren't as dominant as they are in the regular season, but they're perfectly serviceable and far from our biggest problem in the playoffs.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This team is heading cap hell? How? There are no big contracts coming up this year burrows and miller coming off. I do not see any cap problems. Sedins may be crappy the rest of the year and still bounce back next year. Getting rid of them hurts your relations with all other players because if you are willing to treat them like commodities what is your loyalty to any other player?

That depends on whether they want to improve the team or not. If they're fine remaining one of the poorer teams in the league then they're OK for cap space. But if they want to improve, then it's probably going to be tight.

They currently have 2 legitimate top 4 defensemen signed for next year and they need to re-sign or replace over 25% of their goals from this year just to tread water as one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Improvement might be tough with nearly $56M already committed for next season.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
That depends on whether they want to improve the team or not. If they're fine remaining one of the poorer teams in the league then they're OK for cap space. But if they want to improve, then it's probably going to be tight.

They currently have 2 legitimate top 4 defensemen signed for next year and they need to re-sign or replace over 25% of their goals from this year just to tread water as one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Improvement might be tough with nearly $56M already committed for next season.

Pretttyy sure Sbisa is signed for next year dude...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

OK...I don`t really understand your point. Are you referring to Baertschi and Vrbata here? They're the only two forwards who will score more than 10 goals this year and are unsigned for next year. Baertschi is an RFA and has limited options but to re-sign. Vrbata will score around 15 goals this year (20 if he gets red hot). Growth in McCann, Baertschi, Horvat, and Virtanen should esily cover Vrbata's goal production and that's not even considering who he might be replaced by.

On D Edler and Tanev are locked up. Hutton more recently has been one of their best D-men. Last night he was the best. Fully expect him to be a legitimate top 4 next year. Hamhuis is the wild card. They will need to re-sign him or sign another top 4 D to replace him.

So, any reasonable projection would say that they only really have to replace Hamhuis in order to be as good as this year (or as bad). And they will have at least $12M freed up to do that, even if the cap doesn't go up. And I haven't even considered the smaller cap savings they'll achieve by replacing their bottom tier D with entry level guys like Pedan. All-in-all they are in good cap shape next year (even better the following year) and can even look to bolster their roster with some of that $12M.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Cause we are currently the tightest NHL team to the Cap, despite being one of the worst teams in most statistical catagories including wins.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Cause we are currently the tightest NHL team to the Cap, despite being one of the worst teams in most statistical catagories including wins.

But this is easily fixed in the next two years. The purge of bad contracts has already started. Like $15M coming off in each of the next two years and the vast majority of incoming being younger, much less expensive contracts. Sure, this can be ruined by signing more bad contracts but, right now, the cap issue is only isolated to this year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don't think the current contracts will really hurt that much as we will have lots of entry contracts and most of the bad ones expire soon. Miller is gone after next year. Sbisa and Dorsett are really the only two bad ones as I think Sutter is pretty close to market.

The more worrisome issue is if the GM continues to hand out those Sbisa type contracts. And that, to me at least, is a legitimate concern.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd say the Canucks are in "cap purgatory" more than "cap hell." Sure, you have some contracts coming off the books in a year (Miller, Burrows) and a few expiring ones too (Prust, Weber, Bartkowski). They also theoretically have enough room to sign a guy like Stamkos which is probably what management feels is all the cap space a team could ever need.

Problem is when you're anchored by terrible contracts like Sbisa and Sutter and have a 10th place team, there is no way improve upon that. If this was the 2006 Canucks in their current position, but with a young roster on the upswing instead of the aging group we obviously have now, there's no room to do anything. Imagine if the 2012 Kings managed their cap this way. They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Jeff Carter. Bob McKenzie essentially wrote that he is amazed that the Canucks for how awful they are have the tightest cap situation in the league right now.

Yes, Benning under no circumstances should be buying at the deadline to get the team into the playoffs; thing is, even if he wanted to he couldn't because of his utterly awful mismanagement.

The earliest the Canucks could play Chicago under the new playoff system is the WCF. Not sure if I'd consider a run to the SCF without a Cup as satisfying... :)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Team tank most certainly watches the games because they like to post angry things incessantly about the team.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah I was wondering why I kept reading "cap hell" on here. The Canucks are in decent shape financially looking at the next few years.

Must be one of those buzz words MS used and then every one else tries to use to sound smart. That seems to happen a lot on here from what I've read.

Groupthink is the word you're looking for

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The earliest the Canucks could play Chicago under the new playoff system is the WCF. Not sure if I'd consider a run to the SCF without a Cup as satisfying... :)

Not if we're a wild card team. The wild card draws are irrelevant of division. The 8th seed plays the conference champ (potentially Chicago) and the 7th seed plays the other division winner.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How good did Sbisa look moving the puck in his own zone last night?

It's been his most improved aspect of his game over this 'run' of good games he's having.

Earning his money lately.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't think the current contracts will really hurt that much as we will have lots of entry contracts and most of the bad ones expire soon. Miller is gone after next year. Sbisa and Dorsett are really the only two bad ones as I think Sutter is pretty close to market.

The more worrisome issue is if the GM continues to hand out those Sbisa type contracts. And that, to me at least, is a legitimate concern.

Agreed with the latter part. I don't have any faith that Benning is going to start managing the cap well once we get some money off the books over the next couple years. With our questionable pro scouting and the contracts we've given out so far, we are probably just going to replace these contracts with even worse ones.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Biega pulled off the Anti-Sbisa last night...

Where Sbisa can throw a pizza and completely wipe out an otherwise good game in everyone's memory.. Biega saves a goal/game to wipe out a crappy game for himself. :handclap:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I missed much of the earlier part of the game, but I was predicting Sbisa would have a terrible game after his Bobby Orr moment last game. Was I wrong? Did he play an overall uneventful game?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I missed much of the earlier part of the game, but I was predicting Sbisa would have a terrible game after his Bobby Orr moment last game. Was I wrong? Did he play an overall uneventful game?

He had a very good game, absolutely speaking.

It was the best I've seen him handle the puck in his zone.
He had it all working for him... quick passes, delays, the quick sneaky pass into his own slot away from the forecheckers on the boards, the outlets, using his partner. Only Hutton played better with the puck.

The rest of his game was regular Sbisa - steady, skating well, battling, working his arse off on the PK, etc.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

One of us one of us one of us

i agree when shibsa and miller are off the books we have like 25 mil in cap space

i guess signing sbisa once is all thats needed to forever judge a human beings ability to manage a pro hockey team.

fans are just reacting emotionallty to a rebuild, we are in a very good spot

welcome aboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad