Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 1 | Quietest GDT of the year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hutton with the highest minutes on the team last night and played well.
We look to have found another top 4 defenseman with a later pick. Who knows what his ceiling is.
Edler, Tanev, Hutton. The team has had remarkable success finding these gems in the later rounds or as undrafted players. Quite remarkable for a team that hasn't used a first round pick on a defenseman since Luc Bourdon (RIP).

Have to concur with this....No matter which regime in place, the 'Nucks seem to have an uncanny ability to find NHL d-men in later rounds...that's why you have have to hold out some hope for guys like Tryamkin, Neill and Olson, and not to forget Jordan Subban, who's lighting it up offensively in Utica...none of these guys were first rounders or even second rounders...pretty amazing really.:handclap:

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah I was wondering why I kept reading "cap hell" on here. The Canucks are in decent shape financially looking at the next few years.

Must be one of those buzz words MS used and then every one else tries to use to sound smart. That seems to happen a lot on here from what I've read.

Cap hell because we have the least amount of cap space available at the trade deadline this year, and we really don't have a lot of cap space going forward because we're overpaying so many bad players. I guess a lot of people just don't understand how much a few good players will cost to fill the many holes this team has. In addition to how much re-signing our own RFA's will cost.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
But this is easily fixed in the next two years. The purge of bad contracts has already started. Like $15M coming off in each of the next two years and the vast majority of incoming being younger, much less expensive contracts. Sure, this can be ruined by signing more bad contracts but, right now, the cap issue is only isolated to this year.

I don't think the current contracts will really hurt that much as we will have lots of entry contracts and most of the bad ones expire soon. Miller is gone after next year. Sbisa and Dorsett are really the only two bad ones as I think Sutter is pretty close to market.

The more worrisome issue is if the GM continues to hand out those Sbisa type contracts. And that, to me at least, is a legitimate concern.

Problem is we still would have to replace what we are missing to tread water, and top 4 d men aren't cheap. What will Marky ask for in his next contract, or another solid goalie? this doesn't touch are bad depth or forwards. Sure we have money coming off the books, but we also have money that needs to be replaced just to be where we are now... a not very good team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another 'bend but not break' road win...out-shot, out-chanced, and survived with lights-out goaltending and dumb puck-luck at times....sort of rinse and repeat of a lot of roadies recently....but a quick question for posters, if the 'Nucks do nothing at the deadline, finish ninth in the conference, and lose Hamhuis and Vrbata for nothing in the off-season and draft about 14th overall, is the season a success or a failure?...or will we have to wait to answer that question until either of the Flames or Oilers draft Matthews or one of the other big-four on draft day?

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Seriously, what difference does the cap make this year? Or next for that matter if you want a rebuild. Planning on signing some big names or something? I thought we wanted more kids in the lineup. Kids are cheap. You dont actually need capspace unless you plan on using it for something. Plus, chances are Vrbata gets traded. Theres some space.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Another 'bend but not break' road win...out-shot, out-chanced, and survived with lights-out goaltending and dumb puck-luck at times....sort of rinse and repeat of a lot of roadies recently....but a quick question for posters, if the 'Nucks do nothing at the deadline, finish ninth in the conference, and lose Hamhuis and Vrbata for nothing in the off-season and draft about 14th overall, is the season a success or a failure?...or will we have to wait to answer that question until either of the Flames or Oilers draft Matthews or one of the other big-four on draft day?

There are only a couple people on this board who would consider this season NOT a failure in those circumstances. Otherwise, for most of us, it's the absolute worst case scenario.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If all that happens it would suck balls.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Seriously, what difference does the cap make this year? Or next for that matter if you want a rebuild. Planning on signing some big names or something? I thought we wanted more kids in the lineup. Kids are cheap. You dont actually need capspace unless you plan on using it for something. Plus, chances are Vrbata gets traded. Theres some space.

This is the way I feel. I really couldn't give 2 ***** about the cap right now. By the time this team is ready to start contending again, the bad contracts will be off the books. Sure, maybe there's a problem if this team improves quicker than we all we expect (ie. they get a good prospect from the draft this year and, coupled with improvement from their current young players and good goaltending from Markstrom, it leads to a burst up the standings next season), but we can't worry about that right now.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
This is the way I feel. I really couldn't give 2 ***** about the cap right now. By the time this team is ready to start contending again, the bad contracts will be off the books. Sure, maybe there's a problem if this team improves quicker than we all we expect (ie. they get a good prospect from the draft this year and, coupled with improvement from their current young players and good goaltending from Markstrom, it leads to a burst up the standings next season), but we can't worry about that right now.

If the Canucks have cap space, in gives them flexibility when making trades. For example, the team could be more likely to get a good young player in a deal if they're able to take a bad contract at the same time.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
If the Canucks have cap space, in gives them flexibility when making trades. For example, the team could be more likely to get a good young player in a deal if they're able to take a bad contract at the same time.

Suhweet, we can take on a bad contract so all the angry Canucks posters out there can rage some
More!?? Where do I sign up!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There are only a couple people on this board who would consider this season NOT a failure in those circumstances. Otherwise, for most of us, it's the absolute worst case scenario.

Same people that would rather have Boeser+3 playoff games than Provorov+Connor+Boeser+37th.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Suhweet, we can take on a bad contract so all the angry Canucks posters out there can rage some
More!?? Where do I sign up!

I'd sign up. The Canucks waive the bad contract because they can afford to, taking advantage of their cap space and the owner's dollars.

Another possibility is a trade such as the Erhoff acquisition. The team wouldn't have been in a position to make that move if they didn't have room under the cap.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

We'll have an internal cap soon enough with the CAD, plunging season ticket renewals, and growing fan indifference. Even if we make the playoffs nobody is paying $200+ per seat to see us get our butts kicked anymore either. When ownership realizes post-season revenue is fickle they'll start slashing and burning salary.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Capspace is ALWAYS valuable no matter if you're rebuilding or competiting. There are quality players that get squeezed out because of cap issues, cap dumps that we could take on along with an asset that can help us long-term, and we should always be looking to upgrade in free agency. I'm sure Benning will also magically learn how to manage the cap once we start competing as well.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Mismanaging the cap, no matter what position your team is in, is harmful. I find it incredibly shortsighted when people say the cap doesn't matter when you're rebuilding. Newsflash: it does. Overpaying bad players has a negative effect in contract negotiations when you're trying to re-sign your own players, or when you're trying to acquire other players. A lack of cap space can also prevent the team from trading for good players, especially in cases where it might be beneficial to acquire someone else's cap dump in order to get the best player in the deal.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Cap hell because we have the least amount of cap space available at the trade deadline this year, and we really don't have a lot of cap space going forward because we're overpaying so many bad players. I guess a lot of people just don't understand how much a few good players will cost to fill the many holes this team has. In addition to how much re-signing our own RFA's will cost.

We obviously have very different definitions of "cap hell."

*Tips fedora*

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

To get a good, young player you have to trade draft picks for them. Im willing to give up picks for young players but most aren't. I mean, if we bite the bullet for this year (assuming we dont trade Vrbata, which is a real chance because...I mean...I wouldn't want him), and next, get out from under that Miller contract, and either resign Burr cheap or say goodbye to him, we would be in good shape for the build. We'd have enough room for a couple young core guys, yet build around guys like Shink, Bo, Sven and Marky, you're well on your way to having a good team. Have the twins there as a second/third line to give depth and leadership. Tanev will be in his prime and Markstrom will be full fledged starter with Demko as a backup.

Its a very possible scenario. Just takes a couple years of gritting our teeth and just bearing a couple bad contracts.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

That would obviously be a huge disappointment for everybody.

I don't see that particular scenario playing out, and would be angry if it did. Although it probably wouldn't lead to the End of Days, either.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Who cares if we have no cap space going into the trade deadline this year. Hamhuis, Vrbata and Miller will be off the books long before we have to worry about being competitive, it's not worth the energy worrying about it. Not to mention it will likely encourage Jim to be a seller this year, which we all agree is a necessity.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Mismanaging the cap, no matter what position your team is in, is harmful. I find it incredibly shortsighted when people say the cap doesn't matter when you're rebuilding. Newsflash: it does. Overpaying bad players has a negative effect in contract negotiations when you're trying to re-sign your own players, or when you're trying to acquire other players. A lack of cap space can also prevent the team from trading for good players, especially in cases where it might be beneficial to acquire someone else's cap dump in order to get the best player in the deal.

Absolutely bang on, Y2K. Signing bad player to bad contracts is ridiculous, people actually think that Benning's simply overpaying for players because they're not contending? So when we start competing he's just going to stop overpaying for useless players?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. This is the thing with our "cap situation" in the coming years. We're going to be getting younger, and it's already starting. Over the next few years...especially as pieces like the Sedins move on...there's going to have to be a flood of young players - for better or worse. :dunno:

You simply can't build good teams through throwing money at UFAs or otherwise acquiring other peoples' cap anchors that eat up huge amounts of space. You get good players by drafting and developing young players...that's where any "improvement" is going to have to come from. And those are young, "cost controlled" assets. Should massively alleviate any real "cap problems".

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Because the team is a team competing for playoffs (for better or worse, OK just worse). You can't play both sides of that debate, if you want the hardcore rebuild then cap and a bad contract or two doesn't matter. If you are anti-tank and/or want the playoffs then cap matters.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No kidding.

Do people really think an administration that has handed out the worst group of contracts in the NHL over the past two years will suddenly start doing good things if/when they have more money to work with? Yeah, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad