Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 1 | Quietest GDT of the year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Henrik Sedin set a Canucks franchise record in points the series after "beast mode" Kesler against Nashville. Outside of that fantastic series Ryan Kesler was a fairly average playoff performer for the Canucks.

Seems to me a lot of those points were second assists, many coming on the PP. That's not to denigrate the accomplishment, but you compare this to the type of performance that Kesler put up against Nashville - many of his points came off goals that were completely of his own effort. How many goals did Henrik get against San Jose in that series?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
The posted suggested Kesler was a player you win with, I then proceeded to tell him that Kesler's not won anything. Tell me exactly what analyzing is then, please.

And that is where you went wrong. You inferred incorrectly.

Who did you like tonight?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Seems to me a lot of those points were second assists, many coming on the PP. That's not to denigrate the accomplishment, but you compare this to the type of performance that Kesler put up against Nashville - many of his points came off goals that were completely of his own effort. How many goals did Henrik get against San Jose in that series?

Why is it that good players always get secondary assists in bunches? Has it been proven that secondary assists are worth less than primary ones? Henrik Sedin had a fantastic series, in game 4 he assisted on all 4 Canucks goals to pretty much seal the fact that the Canucks would be going to the finals for the first time in 17 years. Sure Ryan Kesler's peak playoff performance was likely better, but outside of that objectively speaking Henrik Sedin was a better performer. Sedin was tasked with playing arguably the 5 best defensive dman of this generation, in the process Henrik was able to score 58 points in 62 games. I'm not here suggesting that they're Kane and Toews out there but it's dumb to ignore the results they've produced, like I said they've produced good 1st line results in the playoffs, and the facts back it up.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The Yotes are going to be really good real soon.

Probably the best example to follow for a rebuild.

OEL, Domi, Duclair, Strome all studs. All they really need is a good goaltender for the future and they are pretty set.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
And that is where you went wrong. You inferred incorrectly.

Who did you like tonight?

" this is the sort of player that helps a team win in the playoffs." how did I infer incorrectly? you keep telling me that I'm wrong but you're adding zero substance it's ridiculous.

I'll answer your question. I think Hutton was excellent tonight, I didn't look at the final stats but he was leading both teams in ice time at the end of the 2nd. Thought he looked very good with the Sedins on the GWG, I think it's ridiculous that he isn't playing on the unit PP.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

OEL, Domi, Duclair, Strome all studs. All they really need is a good goaltender for the future and they are pretty set.

Louis Domingue

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

They need a 1C to compliment Domi and Duclair, and on top of needing a goalie for the future, they need to turf their current goalie, who is contributing $5.67M to their cap until 2019

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
They need a 1C to compliment Domi and Duclair, and on top of needing a goalie for the future, they need to turf their current goalie, who is contributing $5.67M to their cap until 2019

Strome is a potential future 1C, but it might be 2-3 seasons before he develops into that role properly.

Goaltending is a mess. I think every hockey fan ever is over Mike Smith. He may have a role to play as an NHL goalie but it's not as a #1 starter for a contending team and never will be again (predictably anyway; in 2012 he went on a streak of "screw you I'm not letting in ANY GOALS EVER" but he can't be counted on to repeat that performance). Unfortunately he's getting paid as if he were. A comparable goalie who doesn't **** the bed is Corey Crawford, but he can at least play passably behind a good team without ruining them.

I personally think Louis Domingue is promising, but I'm very personally biased and don't mind admitting that I am, because he's glove right (which is how I play in net myself) and is ridiculously good looking. I'm a girl, I have a soft spot for cute players. Sorry not sorry? :laugh:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
" this is the sort of player that helps a team win in the playoffs." how did I infer incorrectly? you keep telling me that I'm wrong but you're adding zero substance it's ridiculous.

I'll answer your question. I think Hutton was excellent tonight, I didn't look at the final stats but he was leading both teams in ice time at the end of the 2nd. Thought he looked very good with the Sedins on the GWG, I think it's ridiculous that he isn't playing on the unit PP.

Not really our initial debate, now was it?

You're not quite understanding our point, and that's okay. Let's just move on.

I liked Hutton as well. The defence also cleaned up their massive turnover act later in the game.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Dvorak, Fischer, Perlini, Merkley

Some good young talent in the works there

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Im gunna go ahead with an unpopular opinion: Miller has played well since Marky has come on (not saying marky shouldn't be starting more because I think he should) but every since Marky has shown his great play I found that miller has been sharper. I really think having both of them is beneficial to both of their games, they feed off each other in my opinion.

Also, I cant remember the last time I was so happy to watch a player make a simple crisp breakout pass as I was when virtanen hit mccann before his goal. As a previous poster said, it opens up ice for him to use his speed. Love it.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Dvorak, Fischer, Perlini, Merkley

Some good young talent in the works there

Very forward-centric though, and while 2 years ago it would have been insane to say the Coyotes have little in the defensive pipeline, it seems that the team-building philosophy in regards to D is "OEL will save us and defensive D can be gotten on the FA market"

... I hate this team sometimes :(

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Not really our initial debate, now was it?

You're not quite understanding our point, and that's okay. Let's just move on.

I liked Hutton as well. The defence also cleaned up their massive turnover act later in the game.

For the uptenth time the other poster said it in the post I quoted, I used Kesler as an example of a player that on the surface elevates his game because he rattles tho boards around and puts on a mighty game face, but in reality his results don't exactly back it up. Within the post I was arguing about the notion of Kesler being a player you win with which is bogus considering Ryan Kesler has literally won nothing. Sure it has nothing to do with you, but neither did the part of my post you bolded.

I have also been impressed with Hamhuis since he's returned, he looks like a very good #3 as of right now.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Strome is a potential future 1C, but it might be 2-3 seasons before he develops into that role properly.

Goaltending is a mess. I think every hockey fan ever is over Mike Smith. He may have a role to play as an NHL goalie but it's not as a #1 starter for a contending team and never will be again (predictably anyway; in 2012 he went on a streak of "screw you I'm not letting in ANY GOALS EVER" but he can't be counted on to repeat that performance). Unfortunately he's getting paid as if he were. A comparable goalie who doesn't **** the bed is Corey Crawford, but he can at least play passably behind a good team without ruining them.

I personally think Louis Domingue is promising, but I'm very personally biased and don't mind admitting that I am, because he's glove right (which is how I play in net myself) and is ridiculously good looking. I'm a girl, I have a soft spot for cute players. Sorry not sorry? :laugh:

Even our own goaltending junkies didn't know who Domingue was prior to his debut. He kinda came out of nowhere...

And, RE: Domingue handsome factor - you just do you, the glove right is a bonus. :handclap:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Very forward-centric though, and while 2 years ago it would have been insane to say the Coyotes have little in the defensive pipeline, it seems that the team-building philosophy in regards to D is "OEL will save us and defensive D can be gotten on the FA market"

... I hate this team sometimes :(

To be fair OEL is an excellent young dman signed fairly long term on a very good contract, personally if I was starting a team there's only about 2 or 3 guys I'd take over OEL so you're absolutely building around the right guy.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Im gunna go ahead with an unpopular opinion: Miller has played well since Marky has come on (not saying marky shouldn't be starting more because I think he should) but every since Marky has shown his great play I found that miller has been sharper. I really think having both of them is beneficial to both of their games, they feed off each other in my opinion.

Also, I cant remember the last time I was so happy to watch a player make a simple crisp breakout pass as I was when virtanen hit mccann before his goal. As a previous poster said, it opens up ice for him to use his speed. Love it.

Agreed! Marky is pushing Millsy, and that is healthy. Especially when we see a good response.

And who doesn't love JV doing well! I hope he finds his home here in the big league, and keeps improving - on the ice and with his confidence. Love the kid.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

funny how a few years ago they were set on D and were starving for offensive prospects and now it's the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad