Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
It's a legit return. That pick is a prospect that can be harvested for future use in trade. Necas was the centerpiece in offers for Pettersson and logically, Tkachuk. Another argument against cashing him in for someone like Hronek.

Sign a free agent to offset his lost production in the short-term. Cap space is a part of a broader trade equation.
No.

It's essentially the same pick we drafted Necas at, which means we have extracted zero value out of his development. The likelihood of the pick being as good as Necas is low and our return on all that is a spec who Sabres fans offer up almost as much as Jokiharju because he's tiny and not developing as they had hoped.

If the Sabres want Necas, I want Peterka coming back in the return, especially if we're adding on top of Necas.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I strongly disagree with that framing. Necas provided 6 years of service to the club, 1 AHL and 5 NHL. That doesn't get erased if he gets dealt for what he's worth in futures.

Sure, a hockey trade is ideal. I don't like those odds. Fundamentally, teams are looking at Necas as an opportunity to get better. That's probably not going to involve sending back something truly desirable in 1-for-1.

It's counterintuitive given Carolina's competitive situation, but a good pick can rerouted in a trade later, when another team has their own Necas situation.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I strongly disagree with that framing. Necas provided 6 years of service to the club, 1 AHL and 5 NHL. That doesn't get erased if he gets dealt for what he's worth in futures.

Sure, a hockey trade is ideal. I don't like those odds. Fundamentally, teams are looking at Necas as an opportunity to get better. That's probably not going to involve sending back something truly desirable in 1-for-1.

It's counterintuitive given Carolina's competitive situation, but a good pick can rerouted in a trade later, when another team has their own Necas situation.
I think this is $0.60 on the dollar, at best. It's a bad offer.

Fine, we have to settle for futures. I still want full value...which is more than an #11 pick and the spec they wanna dump.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Fine, we have to settle for futures. I still want full value...which is more than an #11 pick and the spec they wanna dump.

You are going to be disappointed. He has shown as a second line quality winger so far. About the same amount of 5 on 5 points as guys like Barbashev, Frederic and Foegle. Good player, not bashing, would love to add him to my team, but also not the profile of someone that gets a 2C, clear top 4RD or better than 11OA.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think you’re overvaluing him then. Players are never worth picks where there isn’t risk that the player picked isn’t going to be equal value. Nor is development time a real consideration in terms of value. Maybe there’s minor adds, but the number 11 pick is pretty strong value for him as a base.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think you’re overvaluing him then. Players are never worth picks where there isn’t risk that the player picked isn’t going to be equal value. Nor is development time a real consideration in terms of value. Maybe there’s minor adds, but the number 11 pick is pretty strong value for him as a base.
The odds of drafting a player as good at #11 is rather poor though, as is the likelihood of moving that pick back out in a trade to get someone as good as Necas out of it which is what BDC thinks we should do.

If the two best offers we get are #11 and Rosen or the Hronek one I also critized, I'd take the Hronek one, even if we had to give him his ridiculous $8M AAV ask, because at-least it yields an NHL player. I don't think Rosen will ever be a productive NHL player and the low odds of hitting on #11.

No interest in a trade we unambiguously lose.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
No.

It's essentially the same pick we drafted Necas at, which means we have extracted zero value out of his development. The likelihood of the pick being as good as Necas is low and our return on all that is a spec who Sabres fans offer up almost as much as Jokiharju because he's tiny and not developing as they had hoped.

If the Sabres want Necas, I want Peterka coming back in the return, especially if we're adding on top of Necas.
Why wouldn't you want a player who replaces Necas production and role at fraction of the cost and is still on his ELC?

The question is why would Buffalo make that deal?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Why wouldn't you want a player who replaces Necas production and role at fraction of the cost and is still on his ELC?

The question is why would Buffalo make that deal?
Because Necas is a more dynamic offensive player and the better player. Peterka doesn't replace his production...unless I missed Peterka's 70p season and ability to create his own scoring opportunities. Peterka's more of an offensively-complementary player, albeit with a well-rounded skillset better suited to Carolina's style.

It's effectively replacing one skillset for another. The Canes should not even consider less than Peterka.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Because Necas is a more dynamic offensive player and the better player. Peterka doesn't replace his production...unless I missed Peterka's 70p season and ability to create his own scoring opportunities. Peterka's more of an offensively-complementary player, albeit with a well-rounded skillset better suited to Carolina's style.

It's effectively replacing one skillset for another. The Canes should not even consider less than Peterka.
Peterka had 28 goals and 50 points, Necas 24 and 53. Similar production, similar role. And yes, Peterka can create his own scoring opportunities.

Personally, I think Necas is better than his numbers in his 5th year. Personally, I think Peterka is better than his numbers in his 2nd year.

But that's not the point. The point is cap space management and what you can do with the millions Peterka will save you this year, and going forward.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No its not. Has he been that guy though?
I don't watch enough Carolina besides playoffs to get a good grasp on him.

The challenging part is he is 25 and a 8 year would cover till 33. I think contracts are really going up and he wants a piece of it. I think the fact the contract would cover his whole entire prime it would arguably never be a bad deal.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No.

As flawed an understanding of value as a person could display so proudly.

One year left of a player you don’t want to keep vs seven years of team control and an ELC.

Your reward for development was the years he played and getting back value despite not wanting to re-sign him. No one is giving you JJ Peterka for him. You live in a fantasy world.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No.

You've got it completely backwards, it's the opposite.

You got 5 years out of him on dirt cheap contracts. You extracted all of his cheap years and now that he wants a fat payday you're recycling him. You got tons of value out of his development.

This entire thread, what the Canes want and what Necas apparently wants on his next deal, is completely out to lunch for a 40 ES point winger.

Nov 1, 2011
Canucks for Lindholm, Zadorov, and Joshua’s rights.

They get signed before the trade takes place.

Gives the Canes assets they could use if they can afford them…Canucks can’t fit their raises along with Pettersson’s raise and Hronek’s next contract.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
What good young goalie? Montembeault? Career .898 goalie? 28 to start the season. Would you trade Suzuki for Dan Vladar?
Fowler is probably the one that has more value, but im guessing they want someoen good now.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Canucks for Lindholm, Zadorov, and Joshua’s rights.

They get signed before the trade takes place.

Gives the Canes assets they could use if they can afford them…Canucks can’t fit their raises along with Pettersson’s raise and Hronek’s next contract.
Hronek is really the only deal that makes sense from VAN. No way you get him for the rights to 3 UFAs.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Probably not, though. Look at what other RFA wingers have returned in the recent past (eg, Reinhart, Buchnevich). Your expectations are likely too high.

Anyway, 0 interest in Necas from this Sabres fan regardless. We have more than enough one-way wingers already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad