Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If you think he can be a bonified top 6 center. 8x8 is a contract I could see a team willing to roll the dice on. Might be overpaid for the first couple years, but if he pops down the middle that contract could be a steal.

Reactions: wintersej

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
MO, he is a middle 6F, not a legit 2nd line or top 6 talent. 5 years at $6.5M is probably where he lands.
He's 2nd in scoring on the Hurricanes over the last 2 seasons, and would rank 16th among RW's in that time frame, scoring at essentially the same clip as:

Jonathan Marchessault
Cole Caufield
Troy Terry
Nik Ehlers
Drake Batherson
Chandler Stephenson
Vladimir Tarasenko
Ryan O'Reilly
Lucas Raymond

How is that not "a legit 2nd line talent"? Sounds like more of a low end 1st line talent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's 2nd in scoring on the Hurricanes over the last 2 seasons, and would rank 16th among RW's in that time frame, scoring at essentially the same clip as:

Jonathan Marchessault
Cole Caufield
Troy Terry
Nik Ehlers
Drake Batherson
Chandler Stephenson
Vladimir Tarasenko
Ryan O'Reilly
Lucas Raymond

How is that not "a legit 2nd line talent"? Sounds like more of a low end 1st line talent.

Points is not the sole factor. It's much deeper than that. If you want to call Necas a low end 1st line talent, go right ahead. If this was true, there would be no talk of trade and the Canes fans would tell you he is going nowhere. They would consider letting Guentzel walk. His usage this past season with the Canes was middle 6F with 67% of offensive zone starts.

I stand firm. He's a middle 6F but among the better types in this group. I have high standards for top 6F's. Necas has to show me more to earn that status.

No way I'm going to pay a top 6F rate in trade value and then also pay a top 6F contract. I value his game but he's not a sure shot top 6F for me. In terms of looking at Right hand shot wingers only, you can make your case.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Points is not the sole factor. It's much deeper than that. If you want to call Necas a low end 1st line talent, go right ahead. If this was true, there would be no talk of trade and the Canes fans would tell you he is going nowhere. They would consider letting Guentzel walk. His usage this past season with the Canes was middle 6F with 67% of offensive zone starts.

I stand firm. He's a middle 6F but among the better types in this group. I have high standards for top 6F's. Necas has to show me more to earn that status.

No way I'm going to pay a top 6F rate in trade value and then also pay a top 6F contract. I value his game but he's not a sure shot top 6F for me. In terms of looking at Right hand shot wingers only, you can make your case.
a very simple way of labelling top 6 talent is as follows.

top 96 forwards in the NHL are 1st liners.

top 192 forward in the NHL are top 6ers.

or, if you prefer via positioning.

top 32 RW are 1st liners

top 64 RW are top 6ers.

By either metric.....Necas is either a low end top liner, or top half of the 2nd liner category.

I rarely agree with Whiskey....but have to on this point. I'll take Necas anyday with the Habs.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

67% offensive zone starts don't actually mean that much when you break down where the actual shift use is 5x5:

12.6% offensive zone
14.3% neutral zone
5.8% defensive zone
67.3% on the fly

Even Jordan Staal only starts 15.4% of his 5x5 shifts in the defensive zone.

Comparing the offensive zone starts to the defensive zone starts as a ratio is focusing on <20% of the 5x5 shifts.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Points is not the sole factor. It's much deeper than that. If you want to call Necas a low end 1st line talent, go right ahead.
Not only does Necas put up points, he's one of the best, most dynamic puck carrying wingers in the league.
If this was true, there would be no talk of trade and the Canes fans would tell you he is going nowhere. They would consider letting Guentzel walk.
False equivalency. He could be a low end top line talent and still not be a fit for the Hurricanes, especially if he's asking for $8M.
His usage this past season with the Canes was middle 6F with 67% of offensive zone starts.
He led all Canes forwards in 5v5 minutes per game. How is that middle 6 deployment?

And he had 60.5% offensive zone starts, not really that high for a team that dominates possession. 10 of their 12 regular forwards had >50% OZ starts.

Okay, stand firm on being wrong.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

So he’s in the top half of the middle 6, but not in the top 6. Got it!

Will be interesting if he moves on- did Canes make the right move, or does management occasionally do dumb?

It’s just one of those things where you dunno how a burgeoning, uh, middle 6er will do in a less well-oiled machine. Some guys fall off, others (Panarin for instance) prove folks wrong.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
8x8 is pretty standard for that tier of RFA, particularly when they've already been bridged. Someone will pay it, even if it isn't Carolina.

Hischier 7.25x7.
Suzuki 7.875x8.
Norris 7.95x8.
Thomas 8.125x8.
Kyrou 8.125x8.
Robertson 7.75x4.
Debrincat 7.875x4.
Keller 7.15x8.
Dubois 8.5x8.
Fiala 7.875x7.
Thompson 7.14x7.
B. Tkachuk 8.2x7.
Svechnikov 7.75x8.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
8x8 is pretty standard for that tier of RFA, particularly when they've already been bridged. Someone will pay it, even if it isn't Carolina.

Hischier 7.25x7.
Suzuki 7.875x8.
Norris 7.95x8.
Thomas 8.125x8.
Kyrou 8.125x8.
Robertson 7.75x4.
Debrincat 7.875x4.
Keller 7.15x8.
Dubois 8.5x8.
Fiala 7.875x7.
Thompson 7.14x7.
B. Tkachuk 8.2x7.
Svechnikov 7.75x8.

Yeah, Necas is going to get between 7 and 8.5. Somewhere in that range. That's generally the going market rate right now for his kind of talent.

This absurdly silly idea that he's a middle 6 forward notwithstanding.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Hischier 7.25x7.
Suzuki 7.875x8.
Norris 7.95x8.
Thomas 8.125x8.
Kyrou 8.125x8.
Robertson 7.75x4.
Debrincat 7.875x4.
Keller 7.15x8.
Dubois 8.5x8.
Fiala 7.875x7.
Thompson 7.14x7.
B. Tkachuk 8.2x7.
Svechnikov 7.75x8.
Aside from Norris, who's hurt all the time and PLD who doesn't give a f***, I think everyone would take the rest over Necas.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
High end middle 6 but not top 6 forward gave me a good chuckle :laugh:.

I think with more opportunity he can be a 1st liner or really good 2C. We'll see. With the cap going up 8m with term isn't crazy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, Necas is going to get between 7 and 8.5. Somewhere in that range. That's generally the going market rate right now for his kind of talent.

This absurdly silly idea that he's a middle 6 forward notwithstanding.

I don't think he is in the waive of talent from that list of players. Slightly below it. If you believe he is as good as the players listed, I don't blame you for looking it that way. haha. I find it silly to peg him as a sure shot top 6F talent for 8 years.

I would not go 8 year term for Necas. I would go 5x $6.5M max. You guys can belittle the middle 6F statement all you want but that's what I believe he is. He's a good 2nd line guy and well above average 3rd line guy. That's basically how the Canes used him over the past few seasons. Expecting more growth/development? I'll you you bank on that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh, come on. That's ridiculous. Middle 6F? Give me a break. Talk about a take and a half.

It's my opinion and you can get all twisted all you want with your words of choice. Canes utilized him as a 2nd and 3rd line player over the last few seasons and I don't think he has more development to come. He is what he is at this point.

In the middle 6F group, he is at the higher end of that waive but a notch below the guys who are actually top 6F. Good 2nd line player and well above average 3rd line player.

Do you know what I find ridiculous? Drawing an absolute line between top 6F and bottom 6F. I see many players in this NHL who are middle 6F types. They play both 2nd and 3rd lines depending on team fit and on the 2nd PP unit type thing.

Gang up on me all you want, I can handle it. I stand firm on my statement. A middle 6F but at the higher end of this waive of talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad