Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
WUT?

How would Rasmus be a 1 year rental? He's signed for 2 more years at one of the best deals around.
And calling Joki a 1st rnd pick still is pretty funny.

Andersson is for sure worth that package. Hell, I might even turn it down.
My bad, I thought he only had one year left.

Jokiharu was a 1st round pick, which is why I roughly equated him to a 1st round pick.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The last two seasons were sliding 18 and 19 ur old years. Compare apples to apples

RA is rental value now. Hes not getting 11OA let alone add to it.

I dont.

Rental is not getting 11OA
that wasn't what you said though. I also do not disagree.

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
My bad, I thought he only had one year left.

Jokiharu was a 1st round pick, which is why I roughly equated him to a 1st round pick.

Equating Jokiharu to a 1st, after 6 NHL seasons, because he was drafted with a first, is flawed to say the least. Rasmus Andersson was drafted with a 2nd, but is worth considerably more now because of the player he became.

Jokiharu is a (mostly) finished product at this point, and is worth what he's worth as that player, not based on potential any longer.

All that said I'd accept that Sabres proposal for Andersson as a Flames fan, and likely a little bit less as well as long as the 11th OA pick is involved

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Equating Jokiharu to a 1st, after 6 NHL seasons, because he was drafted with a first, is flawed to say the least. Rasmus Andersson was drafted with a 2nd, but is worth considerably more now because of the player he became.

Jokiharu is a (mostly) finished product at this point, and is worth what he's worth as that player, not based on potential any longer.

All that said I'd accept that Sabres proposal for Andersson as a Flames fan, and likely a little bit less as well as long as the 11th OA pick is involved
I think 11th overall+Kulich+Jokiharju is a bit much.
I think it's at that pricepoint you really have to think about it, at the same time flames would need something pretty special to trade him.

If you downgrade Kulich to Rosén+2nd
Or 11th overall to 2025 1st I'd be more comfortable.

Reactions: HitterD

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Maybe he is worth two 1sts and an RFA RHD who plays top 4 minutes. But if he was, I don't think Buffalo would be the team to do it since they have a ton of work to do this offseason on the forward group.

This trade would be more of a luxury. Might make a lot of sense for Buffalo if they had their shit together up front.

Reactions: HitterD

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No, it's not. It never is. Every year these 'insiders' tell us teams are moving their 1sts and it they don't. Just PR to try and get fans to tune in.

Just because they rarely get traded, doesn’t mean they’re not up for sale. Think of it like an auction. If the seller doesn’t get what the feel it’s worth, then it doesn’t go through.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't agree, at all. 11th is nice but by no means a getting you a sure thing(as BUF can attest to). Kulich is a late 1st that is doing well(but not amazingly) in the AHL, with no NHL experience. No one cares about the last guy.

RA is a top 2 Dman at a minimum. Still relatively young, vg both ways, and RH, which is exactly what BUF needs. Doesn't hurt that he is a Swede, and would likely be the perfect guy to support the Sabres best player, Dahlin.

If I was BUF I'd do that deal in a flash. Would go a long way to cement their D. If i was Calgary i would insist on someone like Byram instead of Jokiharju.
Im gonna stop ya right there...you said a lot but did nothing for buffalo.

Talking kulich down when hed be head and shoulders the best prospect in your organization is also laughable.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The last two seasons were sliding 18 and 19 ur old years. Compare apples to apples

RA is rental value now. Hes not getting 11OA let alone add to it.

I dont.

Rental is not getting 11OA
Every player with 2 years left is a rental now? Got it.

I love how confidently you state your objectively incorrect opinions. Remember for months when you assured everyone over and over that the Sabres wouldn’t be targeting an LHD? Even said that other posters were idiots for suggesting that handedness might not matter.

But I do agree that I’d be too scared to trade the 11th pick for Andersson if I was the Sabres. I think the pick and prospects should be in play tho, eventually you’re gonna have to bite the bullet and start overpaying for some good veterans who might not be inclined to sign in Buffalo at market value as a UFA. I’d be looking hard at Necas for that pick or prospect+ if I’m Buffalo

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Y
What age and team control do you expect for that top 6F or top 2/3 D? What team is going to trade a team controlled hit (top 6F or top 4D) for the 11th pick that may be a hit or a bust?

Are you prepared to get someone like Debrincat who is close to UFA or someone you can convince to stay? Because nobody is trading a young hit who is in the NHL producing. If that happens, it's a circumstantial trade (cap space issues, etc).
Yeah that's my point.

What makes this draft "too good"? One guy that is suppossed to be a can't miss and then at least 10 guys in a group where noone stands out, last year was much stronger and next year is probably better as well.
It can go a number of ways after Celebrini, but it's a deep group from # 2-20.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

So Rh top 4 defenseman are not worth a first?

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
So Rh top 4 defenseman are not worth a first?
Well, I didn’t say that, but to answer your question some are and some aren’t, clearly.

I was just point out the fallacy in logic to assume that because a player was drafted with a first that they are then now 6 years later worth a first. I thought that was obvious given that comment I was responding to.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Value is def there id say. Parayko feels like a risk on our end but I’d probably do it and take the chance on Buch re-signing.

You’ll definitely have our usual guy who has never accepted a trade on this board ever come in and talk about how the value is bad. But I think most Sabres fans think this is at least close to something we could do.

Cool,

Like I said, we can definitely add smaller pieces to even out salaries and needs. Example would be if the deal is to vet heavy to the Sabres, we can add a young player like Alexandrov or Perunovich, and the Sabres can add some useful buttom pairing D coming back.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just because they rarely get traded, doesn’t mean they’re not up for sale. Think of it like an auction. If the seller doesn’t get what the feel it’s worth, then it doesn’t go through.

Yup, and by the time we get to the draft we're gonna hear about a dozen 1st's that are available and no movement at all. So far, NJ, OTT, BUF all moving theirs right?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Every player with 2 years left is a rental now? Got it.

I love how confidently you state your objectively incorrect opinions. Remember for months when you assured everyone over and over that the Sabres wouldn’t be targeting an LHD? Even said that other posters were idiots for suggesting that handedness might not matter.

But I do agree that I’d be too scared to trade the 11th pick for Andersson if I was the Sabres. I think the pick and prospects should be in play tho, eventually you’re gonna have to bite the bullet and start overpaying for some good veterans who might not be inclined to sign in Buffalo at market value as a UFA. I’d be looking hard at Necas for that pick or prospect+ if I’m Buffalo
I think another trade happens in the future that balances things out.

I m fine with Mittlrstadt getting traded, but I'd prefer a RD bsck but I get the return value

Mittlestadt has 2 full yr left while byram has 3 yard of team control and is 3 yrs younger.

11th for as Andersen isnt happening.

After acquiring byram they as re now over the ideal cap hit on D/G.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yup, and by the time we get to the draft we're gonna hear about a dozen 1st's that are available and no movement at all. So far, NJ, OTT, BUF all moving theirs right?
Ottawa did it once already...it bit them in the arse.

More likely would be a trade down of picks like

10/11+ players/ prospects to another team for their pick in the top 20 and players/ prospects

NY big target is a goalie but I dont ser one out therr who would get 11OA outright.

Buffalo is looking for a secondary RD and a short term bottom 6 C. On the surface nothing is out there that gets 11OA. They dont need the high profile player.

They could look at moving down 1-3 picks getting something helping the team now or something they trade for that.

Reactions: Coach Parker

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Nobody is saying that they’ll move. Just that they’re willing to move said pick.

Just because a trade doesn’t happen doesn’t mean it wasn’t available. It just means the price wasn’t paid to move it. Which are two totally different things.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Ottawa did it once already...it bit them in the arse.

More likely would be a trade down of picks like

10/11+ players/ prospects to another team for their pick in the top 20 and players/ prospects

NY big target is a goalie but I dont ser one out therr who would get 11OA outright.

Buffalo is looking for a secondary RD and a short term bottom 6 C. On the surface nothing is out there that gets 11OA. They dont need the high profile player.

They could look at moving down 1-3 picks getting something helping the team now or something they trade for that.
I've given up on any thought of 1st round picks being moved because these 'insiders' begin preaching it during every Conference Finals right until the end of the draft day and then post one of two responses:

'At the end of the day, they didn't get the price they wanted and decided to make the pick.'

OR

'The player they wanted fell into their lap and they backed out of the trade.'

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No, it's not. It never is. Every year these 'insiders' tell us teams are moving their 1sts and it they don't. Just PR to try and get fans to tune in.
Yup. The GMs likely already know which ones are likely available, anyways.

I think GMs like to leak such things to keep their fave reporters happy and well-fed with scoops, so they can also give them various PR spins they want to get out there without going through their media spokespeople and having it clearly be the teams position.

It's weird though, this year some people call it a weak draft, yet the top 5 spots seem in high demand, despite there not being a strong top-5 that anyone agrees on. Even last year, the "consensus" top-4 went as expected and 3 of the next 4 were pretty much seen as being in that next tier by most.

Reactions: Coach Parker

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Justin Faulk and number 16

For

Your 1st and 2nd rounder

Pick 11

I wouldn’t want Faulk even if his contract were reasonable. And I’m not sure there was ever a time when he would’ve fetched a pick that high, but if there was, it was about a decade ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00