GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The best thing about the euro cup is my girlfriend being a huge england fan and I get to ask her why is she so nervous and anxious, its just a game.

Apparently she doesnt find it as funny when she gets asked that, versus when she asks it.

My girlfriend is a Portugal fan (and doesn’t like Germany). Was interesting to have both our teams go out the same day in anything. Feels like the first time it had ever really happened. But less interesting than after game 7 vs the Canucks…lol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
By boner you mean I f***ing despise them. haha, I have since 74 when West Germany nailed them in the final. Netherlands had already printed postage stamps and everything with World Cup Champs on it. They figured the game was foregone conclusion.

Then this tool came along. For years the most hated player in football. Aerial diving superstar! (sarcasm) Then the dutch with the flying kung fu kicks in a WC final. Despicable. haha

At one point Bayern had both Robben and Ribery on the same squad…

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shakira performing in a half time show and Pique Spain winning a Euro tournament.

What year is it?

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
You know we can make all the jokes about the 3 lions but man do I wish Canada had talents like Bukayo Saka and Jude Bellingham.

I think we do.

Realistically for England to win another trophy I think they either need to leave Kane off the squad unless he wins some silverware in the next 2 seasons with Bayern.

He might be the most cursed man in world sports. Mixing his curse with the Three Lions curse is just creating massive heartache.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think we do.

Realistically for England to win another trophy I think they either need to leave Kane off the squad unless he wins some silverware in the next 2 seasons with Bayern.

He might be the most cursed man in world sports. Mixing his curse with the Three Lions curse is just creating massive heartache.

I am not sure we do. Jude Bellingham is one of the best in the world in arguable one of most critical position, one of the best attacking midfielders and opens up the game like very few; Bukayo is another intelligent, quality player but on the wing. Tomori is a solid back, ironically he's born in Canada, Calgary Alberta go figure. Realistically Alphonso Davies is the only elite player on the CAMNT and only one on the same stratosphere as them.

Don't let the results fool you England is a quality squad, I wouldn't be down on them if I was a fan. They lost to Spain the best football team in the world.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am not sure we do. Jude Bellingham is one of the best in the world in arguable one of most critical position, one of the best attacking midfielders and opens up the game like very few; Bukayo is another intelligent, quality player but on the wing. Tomori is a solid back, ironically he's born in Canada, Calgary Alberta go figure. Realistically Alphonso Davies is the only elite player on the CAMNT and only one on the same stratosphere as them.

Don't let the results fool you England is a quality squad, I wouldn't be down on them if I was a fan. They lost to Spain the best football team in the world.
Tomori made the wrong choice because he’ll never be selected for an actual tournament by England as long as he plays in Italy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
High Dives/60 in the Copa Banana Final. Was hoping for anyone but Argentina but they come through again. Quite the tournament logistics with fights in the stands with Uruguay families and jump the gate Final bullrush.

Happy to see Canada in the mix with soccer elites. Bummer they couldn't close out the consolation game. Would have been a historic win.

Missed the Euro Final which I'll watch later. Spain was fun to watch and their game against Germany was probably the best I saw.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Argentina matches Spain's 2008-12 championship run - 2 regional trophies bookending a World Cup win.
Congrats to Argentina. The match wasn't much, not as good as the Euro final. Only one goal decided this as kind of expected with Messi going down to injury. Glad to see Argentina complete the Triple. Worthy.

I think we do.

England was cursed before Kane. lol, long long before.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
More than a little offended by that.

Canuck, ex-high level soccer player here, Colombian wife….

Don’t deminish an entire continent like that… they export coca too… I jest, but you shouldn’t
Calling the tournament logistics that. Extremely poor organization. Besides which it is a tournament that's inclusive of North American teams as well. No need to pearl clutch.

Reactions: K1984

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Oh that's not what I meant by that lol.

By "I think we do" I actually meant "I think we do wish we had players as talented as Saka and Bellingham."

Odd phrasing, apologies.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
England was cursed before Kane. lol, long long before.

They have been. But the fact they've made the final in the Euros twice consecutively implies that the squad has the goods but they're being held back by something unknown.

Enter stage left: Harry Kane.

Despite being one of the world's best strikers since the age of 22 the guy has won a total of f*** all. Lost in the Euro Final and EFL Cup Final TWICE and the Champions League in 18/19.

In the NHL the closest someone one has come to being this good but never getting the job done was pre-2018 Ovechkin.

The more wild part is that through Kane's career he's competed every year for a European title (UCL or UEL), EFL Cup and the FA Cup in addition to the standard league title race. Despite Tottenham finishing no lower than 7th in the Premier League in his entire tenure they only got to one CL final. No EL finals. It's almost a career defined by failure that it wasn't even a surprise that when Kane moved to Bayern Munich that they went trophyless for the first time in TWELEVE YEARS.

Kane is an exemplary footballer. But sometimes you gotta make tough decisions to get over the hump.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
They have been. But the fact they've made the final in the Euros twice consecutively implies that the squad has the goods but they're being held back by something unknown.

Enter stage left: Harry Kane.

Despite being one of the world's best strikers since the age of 22 the guy has won a total of f*** all. Lost in the Euro Final and EFL Cup Final TWICE and the Champions League in 18/19.

In the NHL the closest someone one has come to being this good but never getting the job done was pre-2018 Ovechkin.

The more wild part is that through Kane's career he's competed every year for a European title (UCL or UEL), EFL Cup and the FA Cup in addition to the standard league title race. Despite Tottenham finishing no lower than 7th in the Premier League in his entire tenure they only got to one CL final. No EL finals. It's almost a career defined by failure that it wasn't even a surprise that when Kane moved to Bayern Munich that they went trophyless for the first time in TWELEVE YEARS.

Kane is an exemplary footballer. But sometimes you gotta make tough decisions to get over the hump.

Also lost in the Champions League 23/24, which is kind of a big deal since his addition to Bayern was supposed to bring them back to being a dominant club. Also losing the Bundesliga to upstart Leverkeusen

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Today has been a busy day on this board so it appears the scandal involving the women’s soccer team is flying under the radar right now. The Canadian team was accused of flying a drone over the New Zealand teams practice (this is who they play in the opening game), as it stands now 2 non-accredited members of the team have been sent home and Bev Priestman has given herself a 1 game suspension over the incident. More sanctions are expected to be coming from the IOC over this.

What an embarrassment this is to Canada. I feel the same shame over this that I did in 1988 over the Ben Johnson steroids scandal. I think Priestman should be fired and sent home immediately. I’m just happy Christine Sinclair retired and won’t be tainted by this circus.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Today has been a busy day on this board so it appears the scandal involving the women’s soccer team is flying under the radar right now. The Canadian team was accused of flying a drone over the New Zealand teams practice (this is who they play in the opening game), as it stands now 2 non-accredited members of the team have been sent home and Bev Priestman has given herself a 1 game suspension over the incident. More sanctions are expected to be coming from the IOC over this.

What an embarrassment this is to Canada. I feel the same shame over this that I did in 1988 over the Ben Johnson steroids scandal. I think Priestman should be fired and sent home immediately. I’m just happy Christine Sinclair retired and won’t be tainted by this circus.
And from what I heard this was supposed to be one of their easier matchups.

Don't really get why in today's day and age people try this shit. There are so many cameras and eyes out there that it isn't exactly easy to do this and not get caught in the first place.

Then the whole morale part of this. Like you really want to win that way?

Feel bad for the players on the team now as any success is going to come with an * now.

Bev should be sent home as well

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Yikes. Big oof.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

The IOC though is the circus. Its the view of some that the Ben Johnson type scandal and use was just the keeping in pace with all the other cheater nations. Not like it was isolated, it was as much the norm.

Not absolving either but the Olympics in general lacks any credibility and only addiction in some sports has me follow any of it. Shame all round.

Sanctions from the IOC is height of irony, just saying.

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The IOC though is the circus. Its the view of some that the Ben Johnson type scandal and use was just the keeping in pace with all the other cheater nations. Not like it was isolated, it was as much the norm.

Not absolving either but the Olympics in general lacks any credibility and only addiction in some sports has me follow any of it. Shame all round.

Sanctions from the IOC is height of irony, just saying.
Not gonna disagree with anything you’re saying here. I’m only commenting because once again it’s us getting caught for something and it’s embarrassing as hell. Likely worse this time because we’re caught cheating against an opening round opponent that isn’t even a contender in any way.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not gonna disagree with anything you’re saying here. I’m only commenting because once again it’s us getting caught for something and it’s embarrassing as hell. Likely worse this time because we’re caught cheating against an opening round opponent that isn’t even a contender in any way.
Make sense now to me. Belichick refused 49ers job to help team Canada cheat

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad