Prospect Info: 2024 August - Who is Detroit's #10 prospect?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is Detroit's #10 prospect?

• LW - Elmer Söderblom

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • C/LW Max Plante

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • C - Amadeus Lombardi

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • C - Ondrej Becher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW - Dmitri Buchelnikov

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • RW - Jesse Kiiskinen

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • D - Shai Buium

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • RD - Antti Tuomisto

• RD - Anton Johansson

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • G - Carter Gylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
William Wallinder did win the 9th round.

1. C Nate Danielson - 57.6% (1st round, 9th overall, 2023)
2. RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - 58.9% (1st round, 17th overall, 2023)
3. G Sebastian Cossa - 41.8% (15th overall, 1st round 2021 draft)
4. C Marco Kasper - 65.9% (8th overall, 1st round 2022 draft)
5. RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygård - 79.5% (1st round, 15th overall, 2024)
6. G Trey Augustine - 40.3% (41st overall, 2nd round 2023 draft)
7. RW Carter Mazur - 49.3% (70th overall, 3rd round 2021 draft)
8. D Albert Johansson - 54.8% (60th overall, 3rd round 2019 draft)
9. LD William Wallinder - 42.3% (32nd overall, 2nd round 2020 draft)

Added Tuomisto and another Johansson to get some D as options.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Buium. Probably the one of the options left that likely has the highest NHL floor and most value around the league.

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Max Plante will be a top 5 prospect for us come New Year.
I sure hope so, I like what I've read about the kid. I have him above Wallinder, easily. At no point has Wallinder's game ever impressed me. I've been underwhelmed every time I've watched him, especially in person.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Max Plante will be a top 5 prospect for us come New Year.
the mind boggles. which of our top five prospects do you see him jumping? i can see him moving up the rankings a tad, but someone in our top five would have to drop to make room for him in your scenario.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Or one of them graduates.
Realistically, we're just talking about Johansson and maybe Danielson or Kasper graduating. So Plante would still have to surpass at least 2 of Kasper/Danielson, ASP, MBN, Cossa, Augustine, and Mazur to crack the top 5. I'll be thrilled if he develops that way, but that's a pretty tall order.

Alternatively, that could also mean one of our current top prospects regresses (knock on wood).

Best case scenario is that Plante is still on the outside of the top 5 looking in, not because of a lack of merit, but because all of the top prospects are knocking it out of the park as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
the mind boggles. which of our top five prospects do you see him jumping? i can see him moving up the rankings a tad, but someone in our top five would have to drop to make room for him in your scenario.

Think it in a way, that many will promoted, so the Top5 will be more open to rise there.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Realistically, we're just talking about Johansson and maybe Danielson or Kasper graduating. So Plante would still have to surpass at least 2 of Kasper/Danielson, ASP, MBN, Cossa, Augustine, and Mazur to crack the top 5. I'll be thrilled if he develops that way, but that's a pretty tall order.

Alternatively, that could also mean one of our current top prospects regresses (knock on wood).

Best case scenario is that Plante is still on the outside of the top 5 looking in, not because of a lack of merit, but because all of the top prospects are knocking it out of the park as well.
I do agree it's a tall order, and I wouldn't bet on it, but we've seen rapid risers before, and Plante seems to have as good of makeup as any other guy to make such a leap. I guess my opinion is more like... of everyone after AlJo at #8, Plante would be the guy I'd be least surprised by taking a big leap forward.

I've said before, I really like all of our top-9 prospects (and I mean Edvinsson plus the top-8 in this poll), so I'm not predicting any of them to take a big drop. But if any of them do, Plante would be the guy I'd be looking at as moving up first.

That all said, all I know about Plante is from scouting reports, coaches comments, and some highlights. Once I see him in a full game I may change my opinion.

Reactions: Winger98

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Or one of them graduates.
I'm optimistic one of Danielson or Kasper can make the team, but Plante would still have to jump Augustine and Mazur if we are talking about him making the top five. I have a hard time seeing it unless we sour on a couple players.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm optimistic one of Danielson or Kasper can make the team, but Plante would still have to jump Augustine and Mazur if we are talking about him making the top five. I have a hard time seeing it unless we sour on a couple players.
Mazur also could make it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He could, but I can't see all three of them making it by the new year, so the question stands: who is Plante supplanting?
The only reason I could see Mazur and Kasper stay in GR is that they will be on the top line, unlike Detroit bottom 6. Physically Danielson is not NHL ready, skills and skating is not everything. We also have Lombardi, Finnie and Becher. MBN, ASP and Buchelnikov, not going to play in NHL coming season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He could, but I can't see all three of them making it by the new year, so the question stands: who is Plante supplanting?

If I look on our UFA situation year after:

- Fischer gone, opens a spot for either Kasper or Mazur
- Snively gone, opens a spot for Danielson
- Johansson already will be promoted at this oncoming season
- Cossa could be the back-up next year

So I see 4 Top10 kids promoted at next off-season, out from this prospect list.

Then it would be
1. Pellikka
2. Kasper(Mazur)
3. MBN
4. Augustine
5. Mazur(Kasper)

Plante climbing to Top5, would mean overtaking Wallinder, Buchelnikov and Mazur. And possible our 2025 1st rounder, who could join the Top5 like MBN did.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If I look on our UFA situation year after:

- Fischer gone, opens a spot for either Kasper or Mazur
- Snively gone, opens a spot for Danielson
- Johansson already will be promoted at this oncoming season
- Cossa could be the back-up next year

So I see 4 Top10 kids promoted at next off-season, out from this prospect list.

Then it would be
1. Pellikka
2. Kasper(Mazur)
3. MBN
4. Augustine
5. Mazur(Kasper)

Plante climbing to Top5, would mean overtaking Wallinder, Buchelnikov and Mazur. And possible our 2025 1st rounder, who could join the Top5 like MBN did.
I agree. Next year is obviously going to be a different lineup. I was replying to the poster who said by the New Year (i.e. 134 days from today).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I sure hope so, I like what I've read about the kid. I have him above Wallinder, easily. At no point has Wallinder's game ever impressed me. I've been underwhelmed every time I've watched him, especially in person.
@The Zetterberg Era can you tell this guy how wrong he is, please.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Who's he going to displace in the top 5?
Hopefully no one and hopefully someone at the same time.

Hopefully one of the 3 in the top five graduate to the NHL because they are so good and the Wing's brass had no choice but to promote them.

Hopefully not because the top 5 keep elevating their game and make it really hard for Max to supplante any of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hopefully no one and hopefully someone at the same time.

Hopefully one of the 3 in the top five graduate to the NHL because they are so good and the Wing's brass had no choice but to promote them.

Hopefully not because the top 5 keep elevating their game and make it really hard for Max to supplante any of them.
Reported ...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a big year for Wallinder, I was never counting on him as a big offensive producer, it was hard to see that path to a PP unit. Maybe when he was first drafted, just on raw ability. He should do enough to ride shotgun and advance pucks, especially since it is likely that his defensive partner is the targeted defensive forechecking point. He is an extremely tool driven player though. He took a big step in his second season at Rogle which I am hoping we see in Grand Rapids this year. His skating for a guy his size is really intriguing and he builds on the imposing tree defense they can put around ASP as the outlier with true PP1 QB upside. I still think Wallinder has the tool kit and skill to be the #4 in that Seider, Edvinsson, ASP top 4 and a very good one. You are hoping him or Buium find a way with that because they have the skating and size advantage to really help solidify either tagging along with Mo or being the more stay at home type guy with ASP if they go super pairing with Seider and Edvinsson playing together.

I get people that like Aljo, I understand that his teammates talk about how smart he is. The margins in the NHL are pretty tough though. I prefer the guys that have elite elements to their game. Wallinder has those, I am very curious to see him hopefully be a big part of a good Grand Rapids team. I still remain pretty bullish on if he gets to the show some of his tools can really help him establish and rise on a depth chart. He just turned 22, he really should be pushing hard over the next 13 months to find his way onto the roster.

Reactions: Henkka and Winger98

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
It's all just a bunch more dreaming on Wallinder's size and skating combo. Pie in the sky. Guy doesn't provide offense, doesn't defend well, makes below average reads, underwhelming compete, and has no real physical game to speak of. I wish I could agree that there was something elite about his game, but there isn't.

Now go prove me wrong, Veelyim Vuhleendur.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's all just a bunch more dreaming on Wallinder's size and skating combo. Pie in the sky. Guy doesn't provide offense, doesn't defend well, makes below average reads, underwhelming compete, and has no real physical game to speak of. I wish I could agree that there was something elite about his game, but there isn't.

Now go prove me wrong, Veelyim Vuhleendur.
I think that is just being overly critical to try to create a narrative?

I thought he was a first round talent in his draft year. My only concern with him is he might not provide as much offense as I previously thought. I think he absolutely can still carve out a middle pair role and be a guy who logs a pretty decent amount of minutes.

Having a ++ size/skating combo is pretty big in today's game. And sometimes those guys just take a bit longer to figure it out. Like we saw Broberg turn it up in the playoffs last year, finally.

We have seen with Wallilnder he takes a bit to get acclimated when he joins a new league. Usually his 2nd year in that league is much better than the 1st, as @The Zetterberg Era pointed out. He was always someone with tools who was billed as being raw and needing time. I think he is on a perfectly fine trajectory and projects to a bigger minute role if he hits than a majority of the other defenseman in our pipeline. For those reasons I think it is kind of silly to put a even more raw even more boom/bust guy like Plante ahead of him.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad