GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That was much better game, at least offensively, from Canada. Marsh getting a pulse of changes were needed and Canada starting 6 fresh Canadians in the match. Definite message sent there, and the players put on responded to have Canada play their best pace of tournament. Felt Canada were all over a tired Uruguay squad today and really the match they had against Columbia was a shitkicker.

Canada did themselves proud today and David responded with a goal. Maybe subbing him in is a better play going forward and maybe not a player that can run 90mins. Davies? Still waiting for him to show up. He was obviously embarrased not getting the start and his best play of tournament came after he was subbed in going across goal like he can and shooting wide. Still, that was his most electric moment, they've been few and far between since Olympics. Then he misses the penalty.

That was f***ing embarrassing.

Blown 2-1 lead, didn’t even try to defend the lead.

Davies and Kone should be ashamed of those 2 attempts in the shootout.

What a win would’ve done for this country, instead it’s a waste.
Kone, Canada's best player has nothing to be ashamed of. He tried the same stagger tactic that has worked but the Vet goalie read it, made an outstanding read on it I thought.

Davies for some reason is no longer the best player on Canada and not even close. That is good and bad. He's become a non factor. Thats a shame. He needs to be far better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Watching Argentina play Soccer is an embarrassment.

Falling down without contact, screaming in pain from a simple ball touch.

Start handing out yellow cards for these blantant dives and it'll be fixed pretty quickly.

You clearly didnt watch the Venezuela game.

Besides the finishing that was one of the best games the Canadian national team has played in a long time.
I did watch the Venezuela game and Canada's finish was very bad. That said Venezuela and Canada are a sawoff in world rankings. Not like we shouldn't be able to beat them and fortunately did on penalties.

Argentina, defending WC champs are no embarrassment. That people can't respect the best National team on Earth with the best player on Earth, is.

Watching Argentina play is a pleasure. I'm a German fan saying that. Watching Canada get a chance to play the best Nation on Earth twice is a spectacle and quite something for these Canadian players, to get that chance.

Argentina and Uruguay are highest Caliber Canada have played. Venezuela is nothing close to that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
How do you let 2 players get behind the D-coverage when protecting a lead with 3 minutes remaining???
Canada was giving up counters all day. Uruguay weren't punishing. Even in first half with Canada dominating Uruguay had 4 serious chances at net. They had 3 in last minutes. In terms of HDSC it was like seeing a hockey game.

Mistake of inexperience, but also disrespect. How do you leave Suarez that open multiple times in last 10mins? The guy is gonna punish eventually. Suarez very nearly scored just a minute before scoring the goal.

That's the replacement way.
Actually this post is your way. You do you.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
That was much better game, at least offensively, from Canada. Marsh getting a pulse of changes were needed and Canada starting 6 fresh Canadians in the match. Definite message sent there, and the players put on responded to have Canada play their best pace of tournament. Felt Canada were all over a tired Uruguay squad today and really the match they had against Columbia was a shitkicker.

Canada did themselves proud today and David responded with a goal. Maybe subbing him in is a better play going forward and maybe not a player that can run 90mins. Davies? Still waiting for him to show up. He was obviously embarrased not getting the start and his best play of tournament came after he was subbed in going across goal like he can and shooting wide. Still, that was his most electric moment, they've been few and far between since Olympics. Then he misses the penalty.

Kone, Canada's best player has nothing to be ashamed of. He tried the same stagger tactic that has worked but the Vet goalie read it, made an outstanding read on it I thought.

Davies for some reason is no longer the best player on Canada and not even close. That is good and bad. He's become a non factor. Thats a shame. He needs to be far better.
The Kone penalty shot was trash. He left himself with no ability to generate power or pick a corner, he had to shoot where he did, easy read, even I knew he was out of options.

I also hate slow run ups, just pick a spot and blast it in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Kone penalty shot was trash. He left himself with no ability to generate power or pick a corner, he had to shoot where he did, easy read, even I knew he was out of options.

I also hate slow run ups, just pick a spot and blast it in.
It was poorly generated, agreed, but the goaltender won the battle after learning from the earlier stutterstep by Bobito. I guess it wasn't going to work twice. Kone got outguessed figuring all he had to do was wait out the goalie and the goalie won the battle of nerves at which point Kone was directly over ball and couldn't get much on it.

Not gonna blame him though because his play has been tremendous in the games he's been in. He was creating and carving all game and getting open spaces with his tireless running.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I did watch the Venezuela game and Canada's finish was very bad. That said Venezuela and Canada are a sawoff in world rankings. Not like we shouldn't be able to beat them and fortunately did on penalties.

Argentina, defending WC champs are no embarrassment. That people can't respect the best National team on Earth with the best player on Earth, is.

Watching Argentina play is a pleasure. I'm a German fan saying that. Watching Canada get a chance to play the best Nation on Earth twice is a spectacle and quite something for these Canadian players, to get that chance.

Argentina and Uruguay are highest Caliber Canada have played. Venezuela is nothing close to that.
For the record, watching Argentina move the ball and such is beautiful, it’s the theatrics of falling down when not touched or screaming in agony when hit in the back with a light ball.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For the record, watching Argentina move the ball and such is beautiful, it’s the theatrics of falling down when not touched or screaming in agony when hit in the back with a light ball.
Most if not all of the South American sides and most of Concacaf is like this as well. Teams that cheat, play dirty, dive at everything. I can't hate Argentina just because they do it too. Unfortunately its ingrained in Football and nobody likes it and most nations do it and have historically. To me the Netherlands have always been among the worst at it.

When I watch football I try to just go with it though and learn to admire the beauty and skill in the game and try to just look past the stuff I don't like. For instance on one play a Canadian player head butted the Uruguay player twice in succession. Dirty play, they say it was incidental, how to you heat butt somebody twice in secs without it being intentional. Player was bleeding all over the place and to his credit didn't go rolling around like he was shot.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Most if not all of the South American sides and most of Concacaf is like this as well. Teams that cheat, play dirty, dive at everything. I can't hate Argentina just because they do it too. Unfortunately its ingrained in Football and nobody likes it and most nations do it and have historically. To me the Netherlands have always been among the worst at it.

When I watch football I try to just go with it though and learn to admire the beauty and skill in the game and try to just look past the stuff I don't like. For instance on one play a Canadian player head butted the Uruguay player twice in succession. Dirty play, they say it was incidental, how to you heat butt somebody twice in secs without it being intentional. Player was bleeding all over the place and to his credit didn't go rolling around like he was shot.
Lol singling out the Netherlands specifically is hilarious. You had a boner for them in the WC as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lol singling out the Netherlands specifically is hilarious. You had a boner for them in the WC as well.
By boner you mean I f***ing despise them. haha, I have since 74 when West Germany nailed them in the final. Netherlands had already printed postage stamps and everything with World Cup Champs on it. They figured the game was foregone conclusion.

Then this tool came along. For years the most hated player in football. Aerial diving superstar! (sarcasm) Then the dutch with the flying kung fu kicks in a WC final. Despicable. haha

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
By boner you mean I f***ing hate them. haha, I have since 74 when West Germany nailed them in the final. Netherlands had already printed postage stamps and everything with World Cup Champs on it. They figured the game was foregone conclusion.

Then this tool came along. For years the most hated player in football. Aerial diving superstar! (sarcasm)

Lol I figured you were a Germany fan. As a man with Dutch citizenship I say hou je bek.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
lol…nice “dance” for the Euro finals pre show

Edit: followed by super duper watered down pablum EDM (no offense to anyone that enjoys that, but how far the mighty have fallen since the golden age of late 90s to mid 2000s)

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I agree that it’s all over the sport and it’s more of a, if you can’t beat them join them when it comes to that.

I just grew up all around hockey and not much soccer so it’s ingrained in my that you shouldn’t be doing that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Spain win it all, and really the best team in tournament and won every match. But the way they play mostly, its a beautiful game. So creative, so surgical, and as Spain can be. Looks like Spain will be top of roost for awhile again. Is Lamine Yamal the best under player in the world? I haven't seen better.

Good game and of special mention it was well played, less diving, and all goals were brilliantly controlled and finished. Pickford actually stopped this from being a blowout.

I'll mention as well the only team that really hung with Spain was Germany, and Spain required extra time to solve them.

Not going home
The Beer is good in Germany anyway. I'd be staying there too.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Spain win it all, and really the best team in tournament and won every match. But the way they play mostly, its a beautiful game. So creative, so surgical, and as Spain can be. Looks like Spain will be top of roost for awhile again. Is Lamine Yamal the best under player in the world? I haven't seen better.

Good game and of special mention it was well played, less diving, and all goals were brilliantly controlled and finished. Pickford actually stopped this from being a blowout.

I'll mention as well the only team that really hung with Spain was Germany, and Spain required extra time to solve them.

The Beer is good in Germany anyway. I'd be staying there too.

Don’t like either of these teams, so didn’t have much of a dog in this one. Would like to see Kane win something but would much rather it’s at a club level for obvious reasons. Was slightly leaning to England winning because it would piss off the most soccer fans, and I like to see the world burn that way

Edit: also Spain having sole possession of most Euro wins now is a bit yucky

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Don’t like either of these teams, so didn’t have much of a dog in this one. Would like to see Kane win something but would much rather it’s at a club level for obvious reasons. Was slightly leaning to England winning because it would piss off the most soccer fans, and I like to see the world burn that way

Edit: also Spain having sole possession of most Euro wins now is a bit yucky
Overall if its not Germany in the final I'm pretty OK with it being Spain and England. lol with Steven Caldwell in the telecast saying "I'm a Scot so I love seeing England lose anytime". Pretty much me as well.

I feel like the difference between Germany and Spain right now is a guy like Lamine Yamal. Mussiala is good, but he ain't that. Germany had so many players in lineup that were ineffectual and now no Kroos either. Not sure if we see another German dominant side. You would know more about what players are coming up or haven't broken with the National side yet. Spain look tough to topple and wonder if they are WC favorites as well. One thing is clear. Nobody wants Spain in a knockout or a final. They win almost all the time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Not CANMNT related, but football related and as an England fan:

IMG_3122.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Copa Final in Miami and of course its a Circus and they can't even get the match going because outside the stadium its lawless, fights breaking out, people trying to get into stadium without tickets, Complete loss of control. Game may start eventually....

What could possibly go wrong playing this in lawless Miami? lmfao

Hopefully this kind of gongshow isn't a preview of what 2026 World Cup is gonna be like.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad