GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Herdman needs to send Kaye and both his IQ points packing after this game.
Why was he even playing?

Worse, this is one thing I don't like about the team. They play on that edge and so many times they will shove right into an opponent like that after a fracas. So stupid in soccer, but unfortunately its one of the stamps of this team Canada. Seems every game that they have to be calmed down by our keeper. I don't think animated Herdman on the sideline helps this aspect. he's way too jacked, he amps the team, it impacts the club that way too into being too aggressive.

Last edited:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Saw Laryea got MOTM and he was playing at LWB, how did he look compared to the previous games?

Forest's 1st choice LWB is out injured for 5-6 weeks now, so hopefully this opens the door for Laryea to get some game time over here

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Big game coming up. Get at least a draw and we are in. Could actually qualify if Costa Rica don’t win as well.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
These qualifiers have given me an absurd amount of hatred towards Latin American countries I've never given a second thought to before.
Welcome to the wonderful world of CONCACAF.

Don’t let the lack of World Cup success fool you. No team from CONCACAF that goes to the World Cup is a joke. They’re battle hardened and resilient. Qualifying from CONCACAF is a unique gauntlet in sports that deserves extreme respect.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Welcome to the wonderful world of CONCACAF.

Don’t let the lack of World Cup success fool you. No team from CONCACAF that goes to the World Cup is a joke. They’re battle hardened and resilient. Qualifying from CONCACAF is a unique gauntlet in sports that deserves extreme respect.
Is costa-rica really that battle hardened though? They flop at anything, bunch of f***ing losers.

Most teams facing a team and having the advanctage 11-10 dont have a possession of 32-68

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Is costa-rica really that battle hardened though? They flop at anything, bunch of f***ing losers.

Most teams facing a team and having the advanctage 11-10 dont have a possession of 32-68
The battle hardened is the team that perseveres in the face of flopping and brutal refereeing and make it through CONCACAF. Costa Rica has to deal with this from the rest.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kind of worried about this one. Hopefully we get some coaching...

Its odd to me that the club is counting the Jamaica game as a result before its played. The coach even framing "well its better just to get the win at home and qualify that way" is offputting. As if losing to Costa Rica and leaving it down to this was a good thing.

I mean I suspect they pull out a result, at least a tie. But Jamaica has no end of dressing room stuff to be putting up on the wall with these kind of statements.

Hope the team knows they have to show up more than Herdman is indicating. I hope as well that he isn't ramped to 100 on the sideline which is only helping the team be undisciplined Jason Maas style. To say Herdman is "animated" on the sideline is understatement. Like Maas, he has a team playing undisciplined that has been red carded twice in this round of qualifying. Could even happen a third time..

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Its odd to me that the club is counting the Jamaica game as a result before its played. The coach even framing "well its better just to get the win at home and qualify that way" is offputting. As if losing to Costa Rica and leaving it down to this was a good thing.

I mean I suspect they pull out a result, at least a tie. But Jamaica has no end of dressing room stuff to be putting up on the wall with these kind of statements.

Hope the team knows they have to show up more than Herdman is indicating. I hope as well that he isn't ramped to 100 on the sideline which is only helping the team be undisciplined Jason Maas style. To say Herdman is "animated" on the sideline is understatement. Like Maas, he has a team playing undisciplined that has been red carded twice in this round of qualifying. Could even happen a third time..

Jamaica 1-5-6 for 7 points. Don't think I'll worry much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Anything can happen in Concacaf. If 50years of following it has taught me anything. Any team that advances to this round is capable of getting some results. The Canadian club is lucky that Borjan has kept as many clean sheets as he has and as many balls out. He's been called upon to make scintillating stops. For the first time last game he was showing some shaky moments. Canada has had spectacular goaltending.

Plus as I stated if an undisciplined Canadian side again goes down a man. then what?

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Anything can happen in Concacaf. If 50years of following it has taught me anything. Any team that advances to this round is capable of getting some results. The Canadian club is lucky that Borjan has kept as many clean sheets as he has and as many balls out. He's been called upon to make scintillating stops. For the first time last game he was showing some shaky moments. Canada has had spectacular goaltending.

Plus as I stated if an undisciplined Canadian side again goes down a man. then what?
Canada can lose both games and have Costa Rica win both games and still finish top three and auto qualify for Qatar. They have an 11 goal differential advantage on the Ticos. Pop the champagne, brother.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada can lose both games and have Costa Rica win both games and still finish top three and auto qualify for Qatar. They have an 11 goal differential advantage on the Ticos. Pop the champagne, brother.
This is what I suspected. I was trying to figure out all the permutations and all roads led to that they were advancing somehow. But would be nice for the team to carry on with some mustard.

Strange that officially they have not said to be advanced yet, but yet no scenario puts them out.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This is what I suspected. I was trying to figure out all the permutations and all roads led to that they were advancing somehow. But would be nice for the team to carry on with some mustard.

Strange that officially they have not said to be advanced yet, but yet no scenario puts them out.
Well. Costa Rica going 2-0 with goal differential of plus 10 and Canada 0-2 with goal differential of -2 means Costa Rica joins USA and Mexico as auto qualifiers. Canada would then need to beat likely New Zealand from Oceania in winner take all one off.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well. Costa Rica going 2-0 with goal differential of plus 10 and Canada 0-2 with goal differential of -2 means Costa Rica joins USA and Mexico as auto qualifiers. Canada would then need to beat likely New Zealand from Oceania in winner take all one off.
Gotcha. As much as I said anything can happen I can't see any scenario in which Cost Rica goes on to have a +10Goal differential in remaining two games.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Gotcha. As much as I said anything can happen I can't see any scenario in which Cost Rica goes on to have a +10Goal differential in remaining two games.
Pop the champaign! I have waited so long for this. I’m gonna be so f***ing happy tomorrow. Probably happier than Italy winning World Cup 2006 or Euro 2020. I am a Canadian from birth and an Italian by background. I am very proud of my heritage, but I have a great life in Canada and always will so our snapping a thirty six year drought is all of the f***ing feels.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pop the champaign! I have waited so long for this. I’m gonna be so f***ing happy tomorrow. Probably happier than Italy winning World Cup 2006 or Euro 2020. I am a Canadian from birth and an Italian by background.
It should help ease the pain of a few days ago at least. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Pop the champaign! I have waited so long for this. I’m gonna be so f***ing happy tomorrow. Probably happier than Italy winning World Cup 2006 or Euro 2020. I am a Canadian from birth and an Italian by background. I am very proud of my heritage, but I have a great life in Canada and always will so our snapping a thirty six year drought is all of the f***ing feels.
I was really ecstatic in 2014, and 1990 and 1974. heh.

I always like Italy as well. Too bad its been a hard run for them lately.

cheers

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

"Undisciplined" = shoddy refereeing. Kaye was sent off on a stupid call from having the Costa Rican player brush up against him. Undisciplined is having your team dive all over the place, looking for free kicks and bookings. Shades of the corrupt Jack Warner. If he's still alive, I wonder if he still has his grimy paws on CONCACAF.

Milan Borjan has made great saves because the team plays an attacking style. He's not there as a fragile decoration. They aren't playing for 0-0, 1-0 games, where the goaltender just has easy saves. They can attack more because of his saves.

What it sounds like is that Canada is on the verge of making the WC first and you're panicking that somehow, by some fluke, they don't and are thinking subjectively rather than objectively. Hate to say it, but they will.

BTW, the only mistake I made was Jamaica having 7 points. They have 8 and will finish 2nd last.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Whoops. I was talking WC's. Point taken. I never mind Italy winning and was cheering them in final. Should have remembered. Alas, age..
I am cruising off of euro 2020 for my Italian background and on top of cloud nine for my impending Canadian World Cup qualifying clincher. Nothing can bring me down soccer wise tonight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
"Undisciplined" = shoddy refereeing. Kaye was sent off on a stupid call from having the Costa Rican player brush up against him. Undisciplined is having your team dive all over the place, looking for free kicks and bookings. Shades of the corrupt Jack Warner. If he's still alive, I wonder if he still has his grimy paws on CONCACAF.

Milan Borjan has made great saves because the team plays an attacking style. He's not there as a fragile decoration. They aren't playing for 0-0, 1-0 games, where the goaltender just has easy saves. They can attack more because of his saves.

What it sounds like is that Canada is on the verge of making the WC first and you're panicking that somehow, by some fluke, they don't and are thinking subjectively rather than objectively. Hate to say it, but they will.

BTW, the only mistake I made was Jamaica having 7 points. They have 8 and will finish 2nd last.
Kaye could have been red carded on his first yellow. You may disagree. I've seen players on this Canadian team far too ready to get into fracas that is dangerous with prejudiced officiating often happening in Concacaf, and even officiating influenced by the crowd. I do think coaches influence how much on the edge players play in that regard and to me Herdman is too jacked and amped. I mean did you see him on the sidelines? Guy should calm down a bit. Coaches can influence the feel of the players on the pitch. That said I tend to like coaches that are in control, and calm. I don't like yellers. Herdman definitely the latter.

My thinking is influenced by the carnage that was the BOA game today. I'm kind of like that. When one bad thing is influencing it kind of gets in my head.

Fair comment on me not being objective in the moment. In a future life I'll try to be more like that but no promises..;)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I saw that the Scotland/Ukraine game was postponed. There's also talk of playing the game in June. Not only will that affect those 2 teams but also Wales, who will play the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad