GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The coach pointing in Herdmans chest as well. Saying its you. Yeah I saw that. Herdman deferring but the coach kept being emphatic with the love. I think due to the way Canada play, and the skill on the pitch, they're earning a lot of friends in Concacaf. I mean even the US coach wants us qualifying. We're Iceland, but better, everybody loves us now.

You could see the game wanted to start out as a chippy affair and the crowded were seeking blood, throwing bottles, but as it progressed, and into the 2nd half there was no real animosity. By the time the game was over and David and scored it was like Canada had won the crowd and the opponent over. Nice scenes post game. Like I say I've rarely seen anything like this from Central America in a game. Usually you get bags of piss thrown at you. lol

They did on purpose cut out the audio though for awhile in first half as they didn't like some of the chants from the crowd. That was weird.
This was still a game in Central America and I found it interesting that in the final moments of the game you could see the riot police moving into position around the field. It didn’t look like a very big crowd (maybe due to COVID) but it appears they were ready for trouble nonetheless.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
can anyone give me a quick summary of how Laryea played in the most recent win?

Saw the US game and he looked shaky and a little off the pace, but I don't think played in a few months before that so I half expected it

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
can anyone give me a quick summary of how Laryea played in the most recent win?

Saw the US game and he looked shaky and a little off the pace, but I don't think played in a few months before that so I half expected it
This wasn't his best window for sure. Most of it can probably be blamed on his lack of match fitness, although he can be inconsistent even when he is on form.

Reactions: AlanHUK

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yes, but it’s rare these days. The bigger concern is he leaves for a more prestigious federation like England or Scotland.

I feel like this Canadian team might be good enough to keep him from leaving for Scotland, but yeah, England would be a concern.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I feel like this Canadian team might be good enough to keep him from leaving for Scotland, but yeah, England would be a concern.
The problem with England is that they haven't had any luck with traditional managers at all in the last 30+ years, so if Southgate fails (which is likely), they could easily just say "screw it" and hire somebody unconventional (from their POV) like Herdman.

Reactions: ujju2

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
That's why I mentioned that these wins may move us up enough in the rankings. Currently, the US is 11th and Mexico 14th. The US win will get us a fair number of points. The remaining 4 games are against weaker opponents, so dropping points against them will drop the ranking points. The next rankings will come out on the 22nd.

The interesting thing I saw when checking the December ranking was that Algeria jumped a massive 7,97 points. But, CAF qualifying ended on November 16th, with Algeria finishing first in their group at 4-2-0, 2 points up on Burkina Faso, who drew Algeria 2-2 in the final game. Other than having a GD of +21, there's nothing to support that jump from 32nd to 29th.

You don't have to wait for the FIFA rankings to be updated anymore, it appears they follow the standard ELO model now, so people can calculate the effects of each match as they happen. It's interesting to me they don't incorporate home/away, I predict that's coming.

FIFA national team ranking - LIVE

Up to 33 now, jumping 7 ranks and 35 points, that's absolutely huge after 3 big wins. Draws though in the last 3 games will be sending them downward against lower ranked opponents. So to attempt to climb into the 3rd pot, they really have to win out, which emotionally might be a challenge. Honestly they could have lost that last match the way they played the first 65 minutes.

If someone has time, you could go through the higher ranked countries, figure out who has qualified, who is out, and how likely the remaining teams are to qualify (try to predict the rank needed for the 3rd pot). If I lose my job in the next few weeks, I'll do it.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The problem with England is that they haven't had any luck with traditional managers at all in the last 30+ years, so if Southgate fails (which is likely), they could easily just say "screw it" and hire somebody unconventional (from their POV) like Herdman.

Not to take anything away from Herdman, but I think it's extremely unlikely he'd even be on the FA's radar. And if he were, I assume that would actually mean great things for our program (ie. Canada performing well above expectations at the World Cup).

Reactions: TB12

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This was still a game in Central America and I found it interesting that in the final moments of the game you could see the riot police moving into position around the field. It didn’t look like a very big crowd (maybe due to COVID) but it appears they were ready for trouble nonetheless.

It's fine for central America teams to Riot and throw beer cans at guys cornering, but God forbid Canada or the US plays a game at -10. Lol.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
You don't have to wait for the FIFA rankings to be updated anymore, it appears they follow the standard ELO model now, so people can calculate the effects of each match as they happen. It's interesting to me they don't incorporate home/away, I predict that's coming.

Up to 33 now, jumping 7 ranks and 35 points, that's absolutely huge after 3 big wins. Draws though in the last 3 games will be sending them downward against lower ranked opponents. So to attempt to climb into the 3rd pot, they really have to win out, which emotionally might be a challenge. Honestly they could have lost that last match the way they played the first 65 minutes.

If someone has time, you could go through the higher ranked countries, figure out who has qualified, who is out, and how likely the remaining teams are to qualify (try to predict the rank needed for the 3rd pot). If I lose my job in the next few weeks, I'll do it.

Thanks for the link, @stratedge. :thumbu::)

There's still the March window (CONCACAF, COMNEBOL and Oceania), plus playoffs and inter-confederation matches. The only team that I do know who have qualified, and is in pot A, is Qatar. There's 13 others who've qualified as well but I'll have to see who they are. Canada, the US and Mexico will also move on and it'll be a toss-up as to whether Panama or Costa Rica play the Oceania winner.

I can look up who's qualified and who has a chance to qualify. Plas any eliminated teams ahead of us in the rankings.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Thanks. lol that Belgium are always #1. I mean what have they ever won? But permanently, almost, for last decade Belgium is up. Apparently Belgium is still "generational" despite many of the supposed generationaly players being geriatric by Soccer standards now. I cheer against Belgium every time..

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks. lol that Belgium are always #1. I mean what have they ever won? But permanently, almost, for last 20years Belgium is up. Apparently Belgium is still "generational" despite many of the supposed generationaly players being geriatric by Soccer standards now. I cheer against Belgium every time..

So we are now in the World Cup?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Thanks. lol that Belgium are always #1. I mean what have they ever won? But permanently, almost, for last decade Belgium is up. Apparently Belgium is still "generational" despite many of the supposed generationaly players being geriatric by Soccer standards now. I cheer against Belgium every time..

Belgium is ALWAYS "what could've been". Bridesmaids never the bride. I feel like this is maybe their last hurrah as Hazard isn't quite the same, Lukaku hasn't really impressed at Chelsea, KDB by next world cup will be 34 or so....time is definitely ticking for them.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton

I'm a nerd who actually did this out of my own curiosity :laugh:

Here are all the countries ahead of Canada who are at risk/guaranteed to miss with the games remaining, based on the official rankings released that have us at #40:

UEFA:

Playoffs:

Path A: 19. Wales, 25. Ukraine, 31. Austria, 38. Scotland
Path B: 18. Sweden, 27. Poland, 32 Czech Republic, 34. Russia
Path C: 6. Italy, 8. Portugal, 37. Turkey, North Macedonia

Already eliminated:
39. Hungary

Looks like 9 (I mean North Macedonia COULD make it 10 but I doubt they make it out of Path C) UEFA teams ahead of us in the rankings will fail to qualify

CONMEBOL:

Two of 16. Colombia, 17. Uruguay, 22. Peru, 24 Chile are guaranteed to miss. Looking like 2 teams from CONMEBOL ahead of us in the rankings will fail to qualify, possibly 3 depending on intercontinental playoff but we'll assume 2 will miss.

CAF:

Depends on who wins/loses obviously but the teams here at risk are:

20. Senegal v Egypt
28. Morocco v DR Congo
29. Algeria v Cameroon
30. Tunisa v Mali
36. Nigeria v Ghana

I'm going to assume the higher seeds win their matchups. There are possibilities for upsets (AFCON Final is also Senegal v Egypt so that matchup is spicy especially as a Liverpool fan) but let's say 0 teams ahead of us in CAF.

AFC:

35. Australia is at risk here but they will likely be in the playoffs and will be playing CONMEBOL 5th place. They are the team I am assuming will miss and not the 5th place CONMEBOL which gives us 1 from AFC. Either way, the loser of the intercontinental game here will guarantee a team ahead in the rankings will drop out.

So in total we're looking at give or take 12 teams ahead of us in the rankings (as of today based on official rankings) that are guaranteed to miss. We are assured to be pot 3 if our ranking is anywhere above the 35 or 36 range I would think. I would say it's a very real possibility, probably even likely we end up in pot 3 unless I'm missing something. It mainly comes down to UEFA teams being highly ranked and quite a few of them missing. Still, there's lots of footy left to be played so all of this is speculation. Rankings are definitely going to change with AFCON still going on, the rest of the qualifiers, international friendlies etc. teams will drop and rise. For a quick comparison, the 2018 tournament had Denmark at 19 up to Iran at 34 for pot 3 and pot 4 began with Serbia at 38 to Saudi at 63.

An example draw as of today assuming the top seeds win:

Pot1: Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Argentina, Spain, Italy
Pot 2: Denmark, Netherlands, USA, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, Croatia, Uruguay
Pot 3: Wales, Sweden, Senegal, Iran, Peru, Serbia, Japan, Morocco
Pot 4: Algeria, Tunisia, Korea, Nigeria, Canada, Ecuador, Panama, Saudi

We'd have to leapfrog 5 teams ahead of us and with Algeria having a not so great AFCON as well as Morocco and Tunisia losing to much lower ranked teams, they'll likely drop. That will leave us right on the cusp of pot 3 if we pass them and do well enough in our own matches.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not to take anything away from Herdman, but I think it's extremely unlikely he'd even be on the FA's radar. And if he were, I assume that would actually mean great things for our program (ie. Canada performing well above expectations at the World Cup).
The problem is they could offer him any number of roles in their FA, and being from England, he could conceivably be open to "going home," even if it meant a few more years working his way up their hierarchy until he got a shot at being manager. He was already on their radar with the women's program, I assume his profile has only gone up significantly since then.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The problem is they could offer him any number of roles in their FA, and being from England, he could conceivably be open to "going home," even if it meant a few more years working his way up their hierarchy until he got a shot at being manager. He was already on their radar with the women's program, I assume his profile has only gone up significantly since then.

Unless he was being offered the manager gig or something close, though, I feel like he might prefer to stay here and bet on his own success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad