GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Ngl never thought I would be so into soccer. I guess I’m slowly starting to understand the craze for football especially on the international stage (when your country doesn’t suck).

Also I love how football has no commercials just straight to the action for 45 minutes. Can’t really sit there and watch too many NFL games no more, commercial break after a fair catch is so annoying

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ngl never thought I would be so into soccer. I guess I’m slowly starting to understand the craze for football especially on the international stage (when your country doesn’t suck).

Also I love how football has no commercials just straight to the action for 45 minutes. Can’t really sit there and watch too many NFL games no more, commercial break after a fair catch is so annoying

Soccer players are highly conditioned and skilled athletes, it really is a great game outside of the diving.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Canada just needs 2 wins out of its last 4 games to clinch first. El Salvador (A) with potentially 9 points (game against Honduras in progress), Jamaica with 7 (H), Costa Rica with 13 (A) and Panama with 17 (A), all with 4 games left.

Reactions: Zguy370

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Berhalter: We dominated Canada in USMNT loss

This article reads like someone posting the deserve to win-o-meter after losing
I hope they “dominate “ in the same fashion for the rest of qualifying. (I’m just being facetious and . I think the us team played a good game, however my evaluation is the cmnt played a better game and deserved the win. Game breakers usually win most games and Canada had more. No idea what compelled him to put this angle on it but it doesn’t help the us go forward)

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Berhalter: We dominated Canada in USMNT loss

This article reads like someone posting the deserve to win-o-meter after losing

I can’t tell if that’s just a coach who’s simply going to bat for his dejected team and doing his best to pump their tires and deflect some criticism....

Or he’s delusional and completely lost his mind? It was a close, hard-fought game but Canada came up on top thanks to clutch performances from some of its best. The Americans definitely didn‘t "dominate" anything :help:

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I can’t tell if that’s just a coach who’s simply going to bat for his dejected team and doing his best to pump their tires and deflect some criticism....

Or he’s delusional and completely lost his mind? It was a close, hard-fought game but Canada came up on top thanks to clutch performances from some of its best. The Americans definitely didn‘t "dominate" anything :help:

A lot of what goes on in a match is of course score effects so its silly to say you dominated when your opponent unmasked you and set you on fire minutes into the match taking a a 1-0 lead, which is big in Soccer. Canada played the way they did because they were not chasing the game and in terms of plays and scoring moments generated from actual play, Canada had the edge. The US generated expectedly off set plays. But not so much in run of play. Mostly US possessed in meaningless areas.

What we saw today is a team play against a collection of individuals. The team was also missing 2-3 of its best midfielders AND the Star player in all of Concacaf. Meanwhile none of the US players on the pitch could even be said to be in the same conversation as Davies. It does not appear they are in the conversation of David or Larin either.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I did some reading, I guess a win and some help and Canada clinches. This is really amazing to follow. Canada hasn't made a World Cup in my lifetime.

If I'm doing this right, the scenario where Canada wins Wednesday and doesn't get straight into the World Cup is extremely improbable.

Logic: 4 games remaining, 12 points maximum, and Canada has to fall to 4th. but the catch is that the 3 teams chasing Canada all play each other again so that's 2 of their 4 remaining games. Worst case scenario therefore is those teams all draw each other in those 3 games between them, and win their other 2 games, finishing with 26, 26, 25 points. In this scenario, Costa Rica plays the USA and would have to have lost to them so they have at most 22 points. If Costa Rica wins out and has 25 points, then the USA lost to them and only has 23 (or less). In either of these scenarios, Panama has to end up tied with Canada and then has to pass them in goal differential to push Canada to 4th for a play in.

In this scenario, they've already tied the USA and Mexico (away both games I might add...), they have have to make up the 10 goal differential they trail Canada by in 2 games. Those 2 games are against Honduras (good chance to run up the score maybe) and.... Canada. Which in terms of goal differential is worth double (if they win by 2 goals, Canada goes down by 2 inversely). But that scenario is like... beta Honduras by 6, beat Canada by 2, for example. Pretty improbable.

Feeling good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canada just needs 2 wins out of its last 4 games to clinch first. El Salvador (A) with potentially 9 points (game against Honduras in progress), Jamaica with 7 (H), Costa Rica with 13 (A) and Panama with 17 (A), all with 4 games left.

For those unfamiliar though Canada does not even need to finish first, although its highly touted to now, which is sensational. But Canada needs one W now to ensure a ticket to the World Cup. The main thing is getting to the World Cup. But this time Canada looks to be a reasonable opponent. While the 86 side played some tight group stage matches and gave the best account of themselves against stiffer opponents like France, they failed to score a goal in their matches. I'd like this version to be more aggressive and play to their strengths which they are still learning to do it seems.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
For those unfamiliar though Canada does not even need to finish first, although its highly touted to now, which is sensational. But Canada needs one W now to ensure a ticket to the World Cup. The main thing is getting to the World Cup. But this time Canada looks to be a reasonable opponent. While the 86 side played some tight group stage matches and gave the best account of themselves against stiffer opponents like France, they failed to score a goal in their matches. I'd like this version to be more aggressive and play to their strengths which they are still learning to do it seems.

Finishing first in CONCACAF would push up their FIFA rankings and, possibly, get us some more favourable opponents in the group stage.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

"Canada was outmatched in duels, they couldn't take what we were giving them..."

ESPN: Canada won 50.6% of the duels in the match.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

@Cloned have a ball with this quote.

Like I said before, I'm pretty good at calling these things with coaches. I'm right more often than not.

With Herdman though, it's obvious. He's the best manager in the region and it's not really that close. His man management off the field is incomparable, this guy is a winner through and through.

I've called him the Father of Modern Canadian Soccer and I don't think that's hyperbole. The way he's completely transformed both the men's and women's soccer teams is something that comes along once in a lifetime, maybe even once in two or three lifetimes. The CSA would be wise to open up the cheque book and give this guy as much money and as much power as he needs to continue building this program.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Like I said before, I'm pretty good at calling these things with coaches. I'm right more often than not.

With Herdman though, it's obvious. He's the best manager in the region and it's not really that close. His man management off the field is incomparable, this guy is a winner through and through.

I've called him the Father of Modern Canadian Soccer and I don't think that's hyperbole. The way he's completely transformed both the men's and women's soccer teams is something that comes along once in a lifetime, maybe even once in two or three lifetimes. The CSA would be wise to open up the cheque book and give this guy as much money and as much power as he needs to continue building this program.

Not disagreeable in the slightest.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holy shit. I was feeling the goosebumps on that goal. Listening to the Spanish broadcast made the moment all the more better.
The Spanish commentary blows everything else out of the water. This is futbol the way it's meant to be called.

Gene Carr

Jan 16, 2022

Question. I’ve gotta believe a guy like Herdman has to receive a lot of offers. Does a national team coach ever also coach a club team?

Reactions: ujju2

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
The Spanish commentary blows everything else out of the water. This is futbol the way it's meant to be called.

Lol this guy doesn’t have the lungs to say goal in one long breath so he breaks it up into 4-5 shots….loooooool loooooooool!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

To clinch first. Yes. To clinch top 3, they probably only need one. Since US, Mexico and Panama all play each other someone is losing points in those games or possibly even better pulling draws taking 2 points away from each. If Canada wins Wednesday in a winnable game, they'll be at 25.

For all of the US, Mexico and Panama to finish above 25 points, they'd each have to win outright the games vs. the other teams and split their head to head matches winning one and losing one. Any of the head to heads go to draw, and Canada is in.

On Wednesday if Canada wins, US wins and Mexico and Panama draw. Canada will have clinched at least a tie for top 3, because then Mexico and Panama would need to win out to stay ahead of Canada, and that could only happen by US losing 2 which would put them out.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Most impressive about winning the five straight they have, its that it featured 4 wins vs. the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place teams which are really the only remaining teams that are a threat to qualify or get to the playoff game vs Oceania.

Reactions: ujju2 and oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Question. I’ve gotta believe a guy like Herdman has to receive a lot of offers. Does a national team coach ever also coach a club team?
Not that I am aware, it’s a full time job. And different than a hockey coach. Managers tend to make the team as well as coach them on the field. You’ll notice herdmand is juggling about 50 players. Keeping them all happy and going forward is his job. It helps a lot when you have the World Cup carrot you can point to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad