GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Dumb question - why wasn’t the second goal offside? I thought David was clearly behind the two defenders when the ball was on its way

The play was made while still in our half, thus not offside. This being indication of how pressed forward Honduras was to try to achieve pressure. What a spectacularly taken ball, David with 3 PERFECT touches, scores. Honduran fans should have given him an ovation for sheer excellence. That goal was spectacular.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The play was made while still in our half, thus not offside. This being indication of how pressed forward Honduras was to try to achieve pressure. What a spectacularly taken ball, David with 3 PERFECT touches, scores. Honduran fans should have given him an ovation for sheer excellence. That goal was spectacular.
Important goal for him too because he’s struggled a bit lately for Canada despite being in top form domestically in France.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thats fair, agreed. But possessional play can also eliminate a lot of those corner kicks from happening. In this game I kept thinking it would have been better to have the ball more, frustrate Honduras, and make them chase. The trouble in this game was the officials were giving Honduras full license to throw rugby tackles so every one of our players was nice and black and blue. What shambolic officiating. Should have been multiple red cards for Honduras. I don't even know how we were getting the yellow cards.
Fair, but keep in mind we were missing probably our best midfielder and also playing ahead for most of the game. Makes it more difficult to play a possession game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Important goal for him too because he’s struggled a bit lately for Canada despite being in top form domestically in France.

So many guys capable of scoring in this lineup its hardly noticed when they don't. More goals in qualifying than Germany or England. What world is this? Glad I got to see this in a lifetime. Started following Canadian Soccer in the 70's. Nice to get this.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Even my wife, who played a bit of soccer but does not care one wheat stalk about pro sports, screamed when (Mc) David took the cross, chest, head then chip to score.

That's an internationally outstanding goal. Anyone in here who played football at any level can attest to the level of control. It's so easy to chip the ball over. So easy.

That pass though

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
So many guys capable of scoring in this lineup its hardly noticed when they don't. More goals in qualifying than Germany or England. What world is this? Glad I got to see this in a lifetime. Started following Canadian Soccer in the 70's. Nice to get this.

It's truly nuts how far this program and many of our players have come. It's a special group and I think Herdman is the perfect man at this moment to lead them.
Such a great time to be a fan and really looking forward to a good game in Hamilton.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Any win in those Central American death traps is a good win.

Kind of surreal that Canada is leading a Concacaf final qualification table 9 matches in and with a +10!!! goal differential.
I honestly didn't know that Canada even had a National soccer team growing up. They've come a looong way. I also didn't know what an Edmonton was growing up either so there's that ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Any win in those Central American death traps is a good win.

Kind of surreal that Canada is leading a Concacaf final qualification table 9 matches in and with a +10!!! goal differential.
I honestly didn't know that Canada even had a National soccer team growing up. They've come a looong way. I also didn't know what an Edmonton was growing up either so there's that ;)
Thankfully you know now, and as a bonus you got to know me on HF! :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kind of a stupid question, but how many indoor fields are there to keep kids active in soccer in the winter in Edmonton?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kind of a stupid question, but how many indoor fields are there to keep kids active in soccer in the winter in Edmonton?

Quite a few. Theres some soccer inflatable domes, Indoor Soccer facilities, Commonwealth has a half field field house that teams use. Its hard getting time, but lots of facilities are there around the city. Clareview has a complete dedicated Soccer indoor facility.

Edmonton is really loaded up for parks and rec facilities. Kind of a benefit of being an Oil province and historically having some deep pockets. Our facilities are so good here in the City that different National teams like From Chile have trained here. In terms of all sports its not unique at all for foreign teams to decide to train, compete, practice within our city. We really have most sports covered. Anything from swimming to track and field to hockey or Soccer. The only stuff we don't have is ski jumps and bobsled like in Calgary because we're a prairie city. Even at that we have several ski hills located in river valley and ravines.

That said we used to play soccer here outside in the winter on snow and ice pac. We're hardy sorts here. Only thing is the Soccer ball doesn't bounce much in cold weather, doesn't behave the same and it hurts like hell frozen when it knocks you out cold..heh. Lets just say you don't intentionally head a ball in winter.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Played indoor soccer through my whole youth and there were several massive indoor facilities that we frequented (I remember going to 4 in the Edmonton area in West, North, South and East). Also had the inflatable dome in South Edmonton but I moreso used that for ball hockey during the winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad