GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its great to see how Canada is doing in all this. One of the things that makes me sad is seeing this kind of meteoric success now, instead of the wonder of what it would be like to see it when younger, and for instance when one could still play soccer. This must be so fascinating right now if you're a kid or youth or even young adult. Would've loved to see a golden age for Soccer like this earlier in life. Alas I spotted it with the Womens National team way back around 1999, as that team was making noise. But 2012 broke my Canadian Soccer heart for years. That the Olympic result was so fixed, the way we lost to the US, that we had the result stolen. That impacted my following of it. While I still attended in 2015 my passion for the National sides was never the same.

So that other than following Davies I complete slept on this new phase of Canadian football. Good on you that you spotted all this coming. I was passionate about Canadian Soccer for decades but ironically lost heart until the Canadian women finally got the gold that they should have had years ago.

Thanks for getting me back into this. Glad I'm along for the ride now.

I wish I could proclaim myself as some sort of savant but in reality it was pretty easy to see it coming.

Promising young talent in Buchanan. Solid midfield general in Eustaquio. Pacey and hard working wingback in Laryea.

Two strikers in the form of their lives in Larin and David. When was the last time a CMNT could bring someone like David in off the bench?

I think some of these Canadian players are underscouted as well because they don't play in bigger leagues. A player like Alistair Johnston for example. How much worse is he than your average defender in a middle of the table team in a random middle tier Euro league? Probably not by much. All these players are getting their exposure now, and some of them will be moving to bigger leagues for larger wages as a result. This will in turn drive more dual eligible players to commit for Canada seeing how playing for this side can have a positive financial impact for them.

We just needed someone to start that cycle of development. Herdman and Davies have done that. Now we just play the waiting game and let the good times roll.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I feel like Mexico was coming. When Canada went up 2-0 we saw a better Mexican side and steadily pressing more resource forward, which is how they should have played all along. Mexico only got the formation they needed when Canada was up 2-0. They had chances after that, and several, and not just the ones with 7mins left. They were getting increasingly dangerous. Some of the plays maybe don't look like much, but the two Alvarado redirects were chances, and Jimenez on edge of box sailing one over. He could easily score from there.

Seen a ton of brilliant Mexico goals in my time and they more than capable with half a strike chance. They were getting them. How dramatic that the margin of victory was Borzan saving what looked like a sure tying goal, on the line. People won't forget this game. In real time I was worried. In retrospect the Mexico come back made it feel even more of a classic match. Just denoted the nature of the quality side that Canada had just beaten.

I hope theres a replay on. Would like to go through the game again. Definitely worth rewatches. There should be DVD's coming. Canada is playing every fans favorite version of the game. A side with verve that can create, put balls in net, that plays for goals. Credit Canada for playing for goals still when it was 2-zip but they werent getting back well enough.
If you have Telus cable you can get onesoccer for free on channel 980. They are replaying the game tomorrow at 3pm

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I wish I could proclaim myself as some sort of savant but in reality it was pretty easy to see it coming.

Promising young talent in Buchanan. Solid midfield general in Eustaquio. Pacey and hard working wingback in Laryea.

Two strikers in the form of their lives in Larin and David. When was the last time a CMNT could bring someone like David in off the bench?

I think some of these Canadian players are underscouted as well because they don't play in bigger leagues. A player like Alistair Johnston for example. How much worse is he than your average defender in a middle of the table team in a random middle tier Euro league? Probably not by much. All these players are getting their exposure now, and some of them will be moving to bigger leagues for larger wages as a result. This will in turn drive more dual eligible players to commit for Canada seeing how playing for this side can have a positive financial impact for them.

We just needed someone to start that cycle of development. Herdman and Davies have done that. Now we just play the waiting game and let the good times roll.

A good assesment. We're now one of those teams where if you get caught napping, we can punish you. David is leading Ligue 1 in goals and I expect he'll be leaving Lille for a bigger club soon, Buchanan is on his way to Brugge, Hutchinson and Larin are playing CL football with Besiktas. And they're a YOUNG core. Even guys up and coming like Millar was in Liverpools system and is now on Basel. It's not just Davies and a bunch of nobodies, we have enough decent talent on secondary teams in Europe. Eventually, guys like Tomori will hopefully start choosing Canada instead of England or wherever and it's already happening with a lot of players.

We have good enough players that in a favourable/weak group in 2022 we could even advance. I'll take our chances against a group of idk Scotland, Japan and Egypt. Hell maybe I'm optimistic but these boys are giving me a reason to be. It's a beautiful feeling.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Agree that officiating wasn’t great, but it wasn’t biased either. Not only did he wave off the goal line play, the only player that received a card from all the end of game fracas was a Mexican one.

You could argue Mexico got CONCACAF’ed big time in this one.

If Im negotiating a double cross the first thing I say is. I have my honour, I have to be fair.

But if you give me enough money please tell me how I can ref to be fair but provide an advantage....

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
A few points:

(1) On the chants, there seemed to be confusion about who and what. The "discriminatory chants" warning came out of nowhere at half and confused everybody. We figured it was some of the Mexican fans.

It was the infamous "p***" chant they aim at every opposing goaltender.

Mexico punished again for homophobic chant, will play more World Cup qualifiers without fans

Mexico plays its January qualifiers to empty stadiums.

(2) CONCACAF is not known for its stellar reffing and Drivesaitl is correct there's the goalline clearance, the jersey tug (somehow, laughably not called a yellow), and a couple of tackles I thought were pretty close to studs-up that would have gone to VAR. Oh a possible Canadian PK as well.

I get why VAR is important, but I've argued before in sports that you should only rarely have access to replays - live at the match, we had no idea how much stoppage time was left, we had no explanation for calls, and the game did not stop for the possible goal or penalties...and it was all the crazier for it. Of course, we had 8 jillion cramps to sit around for...

(3) Alistair's shot was excellent - those thumpers where the ball hits the turf right before the goalie are difficult to stop at any time. It also came against the run of play - at this point in the game, Canada looked fairly unconvincing to me, and I thought Mexico was starting to figure us out a little bit. Was huge to get that before the half.

(4) Eustaquio's free kick was also great because he hammered it in (Davies had pretty poor delivery in the poor weather). And I think Mexico started to figure out in this climate, you're not going to get many delicate, tiki-taka goals - just get a fast ball into the box and chaos can happen. And they nearly tied it, with a deflection right to the Mexican player.

(5) Buchanan had a pretty good match but man he wasted that 2-on-1 early in the 2nd half. Canada now has a fantastic chance to qualify for the WC, but their strikers have to be incisive with these chances.

I'm still on a high from Tuesday night, I can barely bring myself to care about the Oilers lol.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Pretty impressive viewership for CAN-MEX. And the AMA figure is for Sportsnet only.

The days of Canada being seen as a one-sport-nation should be cosigned to the dustbin. The athletes we're pumping out in Football, Basketball, Tennis and American Football over the past decade or so is damned impressive and being done with so many grassroots programs still woefully underfunded and in their infancy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
A few points:

(1) On the chants, there seemed to be confusion about who and what. The "discriminatory chants" warning came out of nowhere at half and confused everybody. We figured it was some of the Mexican fans.

It was the infamous "p***" chant they aim at every opposing goaltender.

Mexico punished again for homophobic chant, will play more World Cup qualifiers without fans

Mexico plays its January qualifiers to empty stadiums.

(2) CONCACAF is not known for its stellar reffing and Drivesaitl is correct there's the goalline clearance, the jersey tug (somehow, laughably not called a yellow), and a couple of tackles I thought were pretty close to studs-up that would have gone to VAR. Oh a possible Canadian PK as well.

I get why VAR is important, but I've argued before in sports that you should only rarely have access to replays - live at the match, we had no idea how much stoppage time was left, we had no explanation for calls, and the game did not stop for the possible goal or penalties...and it was all the crazier for it. Of course, we had 8 jillion cramps to sit around for...

(3) Alistair's shot was excellent - those thumpers where the ball hits the turf right before the goalie are difficult to stop at any time. It also came against the run of play - at this point in the game, Canada looked fairly unconvincing to me, and I thought Mexico was starting to figure us out a little bit. Was huge to get that before the half.

(4) Eustaquio's free kick was also great because he hammered it in (Davies had pretty poor delivery in the poor weather). And I think Mexico started to figure out in this climate, you're not going to get many delicate, tiki-taka goals - just get a fast ball into the box and chaos can happen. And they nearly tied it, with a deflection right to the Mexican player.

(5) Buchanan had a pretty good match but man he wasted that 2-on-1 early in the 2nd half. Canada now has a fantastic chance to qualify for the WC, but their strikers have to be incisive with these chances.

I'm still on a high from Tuesday night, I can barely bring myself to care about the Oilers lol.

With you on this. Agreed with all your comments and that its harder to care about other pro teams after this match

I didn't go this time but the match felt plenty electric and I've been to more than my share. Just to add, there was a slight hold on the Mexican player just before he chested the ball to the net. Borjan didn't grab the ball, just instinctively stopped it, and there were two slight holds by Canadians Johnston, and by another defender, before the ball was cleared out of harms way. I mean we're lucky on both that the official noted the ball was on the line, and called it off, and also that there were no calls in the box. For sure it was a dicey moment we got out of. Too close for my liking but sure made for drama.

Its great that all of you in attendance made Edmonton look so great. kudos. A special couple of days that FIFA should come out impressed with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Pretty impressive viewership for CAN-MEX. And the AMA figure is for Sportsnet only.

The days of Canada being seen as a one-sport-nation should be cosigned to the dustbin. The athletes we're pumping out in Football, Basketball, Tennis and American Football over the past decade or so is damned impressive and being done with so many grassroots programs still woefully underfunded and in their infancy.

Really seems like Neilsens dropped the ball in assessing that only 1M , watched. As suspected they didn't gauge every means of watching the game. Albeit one would expect more viewers for Snet telecast as well.

Reactions: oilers'72

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Drive - yeah arguably some borderline holds in the box on the goal line clearance late but it was such a great example of muscles only being able to fire so quickly - if the Mexican player has used his foot instead of his chest it probably would have finished 2-2 but everything happened in real time in the space of about 2 seconds.

The chaos was real and beautiful and nerve-racking.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Canadian men up to no. 40 in FIFA's latest rankings and starting to hold company with some pretty decent European and South American countries. A win against the US in January and some good road results would likely push Canada into the mid 30's for the February rankings update.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Panama last 6 games are pretty tough.

They play at US, at Mexico, and at Costa Rica. I think the most you could expect is 3 points.

Include they play Canada at home,which is a tough match for either side.

Panama will have to play lights out to get 12 points in the remaining 6 games to top them at 26 points.

Canada has Jamaica (home), El Salvador (road), and Honduras (road). They should be able to earn 6 points in that three game match (22 points). If they win these games, I think that would be enough.

Between US (home), Costa Rica (away), and Panama (away) even 3 points would likely seal it.

Still very close though.

Reactions: Zenos and oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Next window of games is coming up.

No Davies for Canada as he’s sidelined by myocarditis after getting COVID. :(

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its a big loss for Canada not having Davies and while its being described as a slight case hopefully no complications and regains his 100% health in time. Its scary how even Omicron seemingly can have impacts like this for an elite athlete. Albeit theres those that say the requirements and performance ofbeing elite athlete can make one more susceptible to myocarditis through Covid. So much we don't know about the pandemic that we will be finding out for the next decade.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Next window of games is coming up.

No Davies for Canada as he’s sidelined by myocarditis after getting COVID. :(

Away game to 8th place Honduras, home to 2nd place United States and away to 7th place El Salvador. Just as long as they don't get too focussed on the US, 6 points on the road and a home win in response to the antics from the previous game against the Americans. The only negative is that game's in Hamilton and I don't know if there's going to be lots of away fans.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Away game to 8th place Honduras, home to 2nd place United States and away to 7th place El Salvador. Just as long as they don't get too focussed on the US, 6 points on the road and a home win in response to the antics from the previous game against the Americans. The only negative is that game's in Hamilton and I don't know if there's going to be lots of away fans.
I think there are severe crowd restrictions in place for that game any way so I doubt the crowd will play a huge part one way or the other.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Glad you’re starting to come around on Herdman. He’s got just enough tactical expertise but his strength is his man management and player recruitment. The guy knows how to build a team.

I suspect he’s the best coach in the region and one of the best outside Europe. He’ll be on the radar for other national teams (England…) but I think the CSA will offer him a big time contract as a director of player personnel.

He’s still relatively new on the men’s international scene and I suspect he learned a lesson tonight about pulling your stars.

Hopefully he learned the lesson that you need ot get your players into games, perhaps a little earlier, to keep them committed. Youre not always going to have your "stars" to help you out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No, they lose by more. Canadas pace would have flattened them if they would have pushed forward.
US and Canada are not good match ups for Mexico. Both teams have pacey wingers and the Mexican defense has serious pace problems.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Only one ball can be on the pitch at anytime. Borjan was refusing to relinquish the ball. Worse, he was fighting over it. I'm impartial enough that I could recognize how maddening that would be for the opponent that just wants to get on with the game. Now I'm not blaming him. It was tactical. he got off with it. But if Canada is down 2-1 late, and Ochoa was doing that there would be endless howls, and we know there would be.

During the play you may have a slight point. When they are walking back to half its not during play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad