GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Lolz at people complaining about players diving. Get a studs-up tackle in - 10C after running for 85 minutes and tell me how you feel.

There were arguably 2-3 actual dives today. Definitely seen worse.

Hell Borjan cramped up (again!) just standing there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gonna be a coach firing for Mexico I think after all this. What kind of message does it send to your team that you are expecting the best result they could get is a 0-0 draw. Mexico were most dangerous when they stopped hanging 5 back and started bringing resources forward, at which point they gave Canada some fits. Our defensive play still problematic when pressured. Playing back allowed Canada to possess the game, and we were able to pick the Mexico lock anyway, which is pretty impressive, because not even Germany could do it in WC.

This is still a talented enough Mexico side, and dangerous, but the coaching is horrific and not even allowing the club to play to any attacking strength.

Have to say Herdman looking better as a coach than I had expected.

Shoutout to Borjan for doing so much to stop the melee at end of the game. So evident why he's the leader of the team experience and maturity wise. Lot of Canadian players were getting out of hand, and I'll dispute the call on the game. The Canadian players on the bench coming onto the pitch, getting in a fracas near the end. That was some unfortunate conduct. Be better. Several were in the field of play.

I know Concacaf is dirty, but no excuse to sink to the level.

Sure they'll be a lot of great memories of the day.
Glad you’re starting to come around on Herdman. He’s got just enough tactical expertise but his strength is his man management and player recruitment. The guy knows how to build a team.

I suspect he’s the best coach in the region and one of the best outside Europe. He’ll be on the radar for other national teams (England…) but I think the CSA will offer him a big time contract as a director of player personnel.

He’s still relatively new on the men’s international scene and I suspect he learned a lesson tonight about pulling your stars.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lolz at people complaining about players diving. Get a studs-up tackle in - 10C after running for 85 minutes and tell me how you feel.

There were arguably 2-3 actual dives today. Definitely seen worse.

Hell Borjan cramped up (again!) just standing there.

Indeed, this was nothing compared to some of the 'dive fests' seen in many a match. There was more diving from that beta anti-Viking loser Ehlers in the Oilers - Jets game tonight than between all Canada and Mexico players.

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Glad you’re starting to come around on Herdman. He’s got just enough tactical expertise but his strength is his man management and player recruitment. The guy knows how to build a team.

I suspect he’s the best coach in the region and one of the best outside Europe. He’ll be on the radar for other national teams (England…) but I think the CSA will offer him a big time contract as a director of player personnel.

He’s still relatively new on the men’s international scene and I suspect he learned a lesson tonight about pulling your stars.

He seems really good. Almost has a 'Hansi Flick lite' feel to him. And 'Hansi Flick lite' is a massive compliment. Flick is one of my favourite coaches of all time, any sport.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He seems really good. Almost has a 'Hansi Flick lite' feel to him. And 'Hansi Flick lite' is a massive compliment. Flick is one of my favourite coaches of all time, any sport.
You should YouTube some of Herdman’s interviews. The guy is pure class. Early in his career, he attended sessions held by the All Blacks rugby team to see how they built such a tight team and solid team foundation. He’s translated that over to his own coaching style and basically transformed soccer in Canada on both the men and women’s sides. The man knows how to handle team dynamics and off-field player management.

He’s quite literally the father of modern Canadian soccer and that’s not a exaggeration.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but there’s a chance that Ochoa spilled that Alistair Johnston shot because it was cold and his fingers weren’t as nimble as he was used to.

MatureFlickeringGypsymoth-size_restricted.gif

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
For anyone that was disappointed in the commentating on the goals, here’s an alternative:

They also have the first goal and the end of the game.

I thought the goal must be offside at first with how much separation Larin got from the Mexican defenders. Bad marking on a set piece can kill you, and that goal was the winning goal. Not sure if Mexico was experiencing brain freeze on that play but regardless it was a great ball in and Larin finished it off. Awesome night for Canada.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought the goal must be offside at first with how much separation Larin got from the Mexican defenders. Bad marking on a set piece can kill you, and that goal was the winning goal. Not sure if Mexico was experiencing brain freeze on that play but regardless it was a great ball in and Larin finished it off. Awesome night for Canada.
We’re never going to fully know how the weather affected these games, but it’s not a stretch to say that our opponents probably didn’t move or think at 100% capacity due to how cold it was. I’m also pretty sure Ochoa catches that ball on the first goal if his hands weren’t numb.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Its great to see how Canada is doing in all this. One of the things that makes me sad is seeing this kind of meteoric success now, instead of the wonder of what it would be like to see it when younger, and for instance when one could still play soccer. This must be so fascinating right now if you're a kid or youth or even young adult. Would've loved to see a golden age for Soccer like this earlier in life. Alas I spotted it with the Womens National team way back around 1999, as that team was making noise. But 2012 broke my Canadian Soccer heart for years. That the Olympic result was so fixed, the way we lost to the US, that we had the result stolen. That impacted my following of it. While I still attended in 2015 my passion for the National sides was never the same.

So that other than following Davies I complete slept on this new phase of Canadian football. Good on you that you spotted all this coming. I was passionate about Canadian Soccer for decades but ironically lost heart until the Canadian women finally got the gold that they should have had years ago.

Thanks for getting me back into this. Glad I'm along for the ride now.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

We’re never going to fully know how the weather affected these games, but it’s not a stretch to say that our opponents probably didn’t move or think at 100% capacity due to how cold it was. I’m also pretty sure Ochoa catches that ball on the first goal if his hands weren’t numb.

Could even just be hesitation from being unsure of themselves on wet / icy ground. Would be even worse on Turf.

Like I said before the game, it's a huge advantage. We Canadians take balance on ice for granted because we run on it our entire lives. I was actually surprised there weren't more "woopsies" from Mexican players tbh. But even if they aren't falling, the traction being different than you expect is huge, yet the Canadians have that in muscle memory no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad