GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We’re never going to fully know how the weather affected these games, but it’s not a stretch to say that our opponents probably didn’t move or think at 100% capacity due to how cold it was. I’m also pretty sure Ochoa catches that ball on the first goal if his hands weren’t numb.

I was going to mention the bolded. But that its not just the hands being numb. Alistair Johnston MADE that goal. That was a reasonable thumper from range, and it had decent zip on it. From the looks that was a heavy kick, and in freezing temps the ball is hard. But has to be remembered as well that Johnson made an expert strip. Surprise plays are so dangerous. Johnston had the presence of mind to jump up and steal the ball like Toni Kroos would, but to quickly deliver a volley on net. I mean against a lesser goalie that shot even scores. Because the whole sequence was 2-3 secs from your own club having the ball to be dispossessed. As a goalie you don't have the time to mentally prepare, set, and you're more in reaction mode. I mean it was an excellently taken finish. The 2nd Larin goal even better, and reminded me of how German stars typically slot in a goal.

For instance Klose became the alltime WC scorer not by scoring scintillating goals, but through calm and expert clinical finish. What a night for Larin and turned out we needed both of his stupendous goals. But the first doesn't ever happen without Johnston, who surprisingly made the best play of the match. Especially that huge moment coming towards end of half. If Mexico gets to that halftime tied, it could be a different result.

Borzan as well made some good stops in this game that were more difficult than might have looked, and especially in these conditions. 2 redirections from Alvaredo that could go anywhere, thus executed deflections being so dangerous, really the perfect play in these conditions. Jimenez lining up for shots scared me, especially his volley over net where he had time. Such skill on the ball. Then the magician, Herrera, so smart, dangerous, makes so many good plays. He's older now but been following him for a decade.

In some sense it made the game more complete I guess that Mexico were able to finally show some verve and why they are a tough opponent.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He pulled his two best players off the field just before the tide turned.

He should have pulled them off sooner than that or not pulled them, off at all.

First mistake I think Herdman has made. Hopefully he learns from it.

Once the threat of fast deep runs evaporated the Mexican squad put on the press.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I thought the goal must be offside at first with how much separation Larin got from the Mexican defenders. Bad marking on a set piece can kill you, and that goal was the winning goal. Not sure if Mexico was experiencing brain freeze on that play but regardless it was a great ball in and Larin finished it off. Awesome night for Canada.

The defenders figured it was a catch by the keeper. Who never went to the ball.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its great to see how Canada is doing in all this. One of the things that makes me sad is seeing this kind of meteoric success now, instead of the wonder of what it would be like to see it when younger, and for instance when one could still play soccer. This must be so fascinating right now if you're a kid or youth or even young adult. Would've loved to see a golden age for Soccer like this earlier in life. Alas I spotted it with the Womens National team way back around 1999, as that team was making noise. But 2012 broke my Canadian Soccer heart for years. That the Olympic result was so fixed, the way we lost to the US, that we had the result stolen. That impacted my following of it. While I still attended in 2015 my passion for the National sides was never the same.

So that other than following Davies I complete slept on this new phase of Canadian football. Good on you that you spotted all this coming. I was passionate about Canadian Soccer for decades but ironically lost heart until the Canadian women finally got the gold that they should have had years ago.

Thanks for getting me back into this. Glad I'm along for the ride now.

Herdman is good, but the turnaround is all about player resources.

Its the difference between players choosing to play for Canada, and players choosing not to play for Canada. Most of the players developed in Canada do have options.

Hosting the world cup has always been the most direct path to a better squad.

The above, and of course the great work the soccer community has done in Canada developing good teams and the players that make them up

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Could even just be hesitation from being unsure of themselves on wet / icy ground. Would be even worse on Turf.

Like I said before the game, it's a huge advantage. We Canadians take balance on ice for granted because we run on it our entire lives. I was actually surprised there weren't more "woopsies" from Mexican players tbh. But even if they aren't falling, the traction being different than you expect is huge, yet the Canadians have that in muscle memory no problem.

I thought the Mexican players afforded themselves reasonably well on the pitch. I mean especially considering they only got in the night before, and had never been on the pitch. I mean Kudos. The players brought what they could. But team management that allowed them to come here at the last minute, to try to play this game, and then had them in a drop back 5. That didn't suit Mexico at all, and it sure didn't suit playing Canada as an opponent. Canada as we see is dangerous when you hang back. Lots of lock pickers on this canadian squad and getting brilliant service like on the 2nd goal. Eustaquio, what a brilliant player. Crossing that in with perfection in these conditions. Ice cold surgeon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He pulled his two best players off the field just before the tide turned.

I feel like Mexico was coming. When Canada went up 2-0 we saw a better Mexican side and steadily pressing more resource forward, which is how they should have played all along. Mexico only got the formation they needed when Canada was up 2-0. They had chances after that, and several, and not just the ones with 7mins left. They were getting increasingly dangerous. Some of the plays maybe don't look like much, but the two Alvarado redirects were chances, and Jimenez on edge of box sailing one over. He could easily score from there.

Seen a ton of brilliant Mexico goals in my time and they more than capable with half a strike chance. They were getting them. How dramatic that the margin of victory was Borzan saving what looked like a sure tying goal, on the line. People won't forget this game. In real time I was worried. In retrospect the Mexico come back made it feel even more of a classic match. Just denoted the nature of the quality side that Canada had just beaten.

I hope theres a replay on. Would like to go through the game again. Definitely worth rewatches. There should be DVD's coming. Canada is playing every fans favorite version of the game. A side with verve that can create, put balls in net, that plays for goals. Credit Canada for playing for goals still when it was 2-zip but they werent getting back well enough.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
BTW, the reffing was atrocious. HE did everything possible to make Mexico competitive. Just look at the Mexican goal.

Yes the keeper is holding onto the ball. Hes allowed to do that. There are more balls at half. What does the ref do? Gives the keeper a warning when the Mexicans are attacking him.

Hopefully he got paid well is all I can figure.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
BTW, the reffing was atrocious. HE did everything possible to make Mexico competitive. Just look at the Mexican goal.

Yes the keeper is holding onto the ball. Hes allowed to do that. There are more balls at half. What does the ref do? Gives the keeper a warning when the Mexicans are attacking him.

The most egregious one to me was when we were up 2-0 like 70 minutes or so and Alphonso Davies beats a guy wide to create a 2 on 1 and gets almost literally horse collared.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

While I agree with this, and especially earlier in the match. The same official was also emphatic waving off the apparent tying Mexico goal (goal line) and remembering that thre is no VAR review. If he calls that a goal, and I've seen worse calls, then its a goal. The game would have been tied. Sure it felt like he jobbed Canada but its interesting that in the biggest moment his call favored Canada.

Other things, is the Canadians could have received a red card when multiple Canadian players entered the pitch from the bench. We could have had to play the game down a man due to that. he ignored it. It was flagrant that Canadian players that are not allowed to be on the pitch were on the pitch. Not only that, they were escalating a situation.

Finally, Borjan lost his cool in the Canadian net after the goal. He was not only delaying game he was physical with the Mexican player who was trying to get the ball, as any team would in that circumstance. You're not supposed to be clinging to the ball in that circumstance. I mean gamemenship, yes, but precarious to do that.

Canada plays fast and loose with emotions and they've been lucky enough not to have had any red cards in the tournament. Several yellow cards, but on the whole, earned. This is an aggressive Canadian side. We don't see that as much because we're on this side.

Moses2020

Dec 16, 2020
For anyone that was disappointed in the commentating on the goals, here’s an alternative:

They also have the first goal and the end of the game.

you guys are crazy. :laugh:
i watched many hours of football in my live. never saw such a nice dive in the snow. :thumbu:

nice to see canadian football rising. respect from germany (and thank you for sending us Davies to Bayern München).

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
While I agree with this, and especially earlier in the match. The same official was also emphatic waving off the apparent tying Mexico goal (goal line) and remembering that thre is no VAR review. If he calls that a goal, and I've seen worse calls, then its a goal. The game would have been tied. Sure it felt like he jobbed Canada but its interesting that in the biggest moment his call favored Canada.

Other things, is the Canadians could have received a red card when multiple Canadian players entered the pitch from the bench. We could have had to play the game down a man due to that. he ignored it. It was flagrant that Canadian players that are not allowed to be on the pitch were on the pitch. Not only that, they were escalating a situation.

Finally, Borjan lost his cool in the Canadian net after the goal. He was not only delaying game he was physical with the Mexican player who was trying to get the ball, as any team would in that circumstance. You're not supposed to be clinging to the ball in that circumstance. I mean gamemenship, yes, but precarious to do that.

Canada plays fast and loose with emotions and they've been lucky enough not to have had any red cards in the tournament. Several yellow cards, but on the whole, earned. This is an aggressive Canadian side. We don't see that as much because we're on this side.
How is he delaying the game? There’s more balls at half. The Mexicans are actually delaying the game. Also you notice he didn’t card for persistent fouling. Which is why he lost control of the game. He lucky there wasn’t more fights the way he reffed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
How is he delaying the game? There’s more balls at half. The Mexicans are actually delaying the game.

Only one ball can be on the pitch at anytime. Borjan was refusing to relinquish the ball. Worse, he was fighting over it. I'm impartial enough that I could recognize how maddening that would be for the opponent that just wants to get on with the game. Now I'm not blaming him. It was tactical. he got off with it. But if Canada is down 2-1 late, and Ochoa was doing that there would be endless howls, and we know there would be.

Reactions: TB12

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Only one ball can be on the pitch at anytime. Borjan was refusing to relinquish the ball. Worse, he was fighting over it. I'm impartial enough that I could recognize how maddening that would be for the opponent that just wants to get on with the game. Now I'm not blaming him. It was tactical. he got off with it. But if Canada is down 2-1 late, and Ochoa was doing that there would be endless howls, and we know there would be.
Hes holding onto the ball. HE can push the ball out the end line. in 1/100th the time it takes for the Mexican team to get back onside. And BTW, he is actually not on the pitch, as hes in the net.

Surprisingly enough, this has happened before and the FIFA ruling is the Mexicans go to half and play with the ball there, unless of course the ref decides they have to use one particular ball, because the Mexicans deserve that bit of luck, which is what I was talking about, the ref accommodating the bad play of the Mexican players. The first 20 or so Canadian balls, throw ins, free kicks and the like Mexicans players kicked the ball away. Ref did nothing.

That is bad refing, and the current situation highlights it only went one way.

Last edited:

Moses2020

Dec 16, 2020
Thank you for sending us Leon. :thumbu:

We do it again with next generation of stars? :naughty:
to be honest, Leon is the reason i got seriously interested in hockey. since then it has been an integral part of my life. great that there is this dynamic game.
:cool:

And with Seider and Stützle, successors are also taken care of ...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We’re never going to fully know how the weather affected these games, but it’s not a stretch to say that our opponents probably didn’t move or think at 100% capacity due to how cold it was. I’m also pretty sure Ochoa catches that ball on the first goal if his hands weren’t numb.
That the Mexicans changed their formation for this game would suggest to me that, at the very least, they were intimidated by the cold weather.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Hes holding onto the ball. HE can push the ball out the end line. in 1/100th the time it takes for the Mexican team to get back onside. And BTW, he is actually not on the pitch, as hes in the net.

Surprisingly enough, this has happened before and the FIFA ruling is the Mexicans go to half and play with the ball there, unless of course the ref decides they have to use one particular ball, because the Mexicans deserve that bit of luck, which is what I was talking about, the ref accommodating the bad play of the Mexican players. The first 20 or so Canadian balls, throw ins, free kicks and the like Mexicans players kicked the ball away. Ref did nothing.

That is bad refing, and the current situation highlights it only went one way.

Well, I can only assure you a whole country is talking about how the official immediately waved off the typing Mexican goal in injury time, on a ball that was barely stopped, on the line. Rendering the bolded as just your view.

That was the biggest call of the game, and it went our way. The ball was on the line. I've seen those be called goals without VAR review,and there is no VAR in this tournament. So that we are at mercy of the on field call, which was an emphatic waving off of the apparent goal.

Agree that the officiating was bad. Disagree entirely with the bolded claim.

edit. Going to mention tso that Both Johnston and Laryea held in that sequence, not just in the box, but in the CREASE, because Borjan didn't retain the ball. The Canadians held, thus allowing Canada to clear the ball. Any of this could have gone against us.

Understanding that the threshold for a call is much more precarious in these areas.

Borjan makes incredible goal line save in injury time to preserve Canada's lead - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Well, I can only assure you a whole country is talking about how the official immediately waved off the typing Mexican goal in injury time, on a ball that was barely stopped, on the line. Rendering the bolded as just your view.

That was the biggest call of the game, and it went our way. The ball was on the line. I've seen those be called goals without VAR review,and there is no VAR in this tournament. So that we are at mercy of the on field call, which was an emphatic waving off of the apparent goal.

edit. Going to mention tso that Both Johnston and Laryea held in that sequence, not just in the box, but in the CREASE, because Borjan didn't retain the ball. The Canadians held, thus allowing Canada to clear the ball. Any of this could have gone against us.

Understanding that the threshold for a call is much more precarious in these areas.

Borjan makes incredible goal line save in injury time to preserve Canada's lead - Sportsnet.ca
I agree the Canadians adjusted to the way the game was being refed. Soccer players do that. Bad refs allow ugly soccer.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

It will become more of an advantage as wins mount and the Canadian players feel more and more comfortable with it. They get to do it 7x more often than the other teams. Wind breaks for the Canadian bench and industrial-fans for the opposition may be abit extreme, but let’s not discount anything, depending on the gamesmanship from the other sides.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Agree that officiating wasn’t great, but it wasn’t biased either. Not only did he wave off the goal line play, the only player that received a card from all the end of game fracas was a Mexican one.

You could argue Mexico got CONCACAF’ed big time in this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad