GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Based on the way it sounded on TV, the atmosphere at Commonwealth was far superior.

It's kind of jarring to see Canada leading the table of the final stage of WC qualifying 8 matches in but they deserve it and actually have talent that can match these top Concacaf nation's now. Nothing flukey about this, it's not like some Cinderella story, they're legit.
They also have the best coach in the region. He might not be the best tactical coach but his HR skills are exceptional.

Reactions: Beerfish

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup. The way I see it, Canada is to soccer what Germany is becoming to hockey. A newly-emerging force despite the immense popularity of another sport.

Pretty good comparison actually. They don't have the depth of the top soccer nations but their top end talent is pretty comparable.

They aren't good enough, I don't think, to make it to the Knockout stage of a World Cup (like Germany in hockey) but they could give a top team a tussle and they are certainly capable of beating second tier soccer nations.

Reactions: ujju2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pretty good comparison actually. They don't have the depth of the top soccer nations but their top end talent is pretty comparable.

They aren't good enough, I don't think, to make it to the Knockout stage of a World Cup (like Germany in hockey) but they could give a top team a tussle and they are certainly capable of beating second tier soccer nations.
Depends on who they would draw in a group. If they get drawn with another mid tier American country and a mid tier European/Asian country, it’s possible.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Depends on who they would draw in a group. If they get drawn with another mid tier American country and a mid tier European/Asian country, it’s possible.

That's true. It's all about luck of the draw, literally, at World Cups. Still gotta make it first, those Central America road trips can be really tricky and they still have to go through all of them.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Any Spanish speaking bros want to find out what the Mexican faithful are saying about having to play in the Arctic tundra? Lol

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's true. It's all about luck of the draw, literally, at World Cups. Still gotta make it first, those Central America road trips can be really tricky and they still have to go through all of them.
They basically have to win the game in Panama and scrounge up another win somewhere else; they could lose every other game and likely still get in.

Or they could lose to Panama but then it’d make things pretty nervy as they’d have to probably scrap two more wins elsewhere and some ties, including against the US.

Last edited:

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
What a game. That final 7 minutes though... I must've had about 9000 heart attacks.

Milan Borjan was massive for us and came up with probably the most important and most defining save of this qualification campaign.

Hell of a performance up until then by the boys though and a little adversity never hurt anyone. They were on it tonight. Great atmosphere, brilliant quality from Cyle Larin and a deserved 6 points from these 2 matches.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I believe they are given the schedule but the host nation picks where the game is played.

They likely chose Edmonton as they thought they could get an advantage but it looks like it’s backfired as I don’t care who you are this is absolutely brutal weather to play in.

They’re going to have to do a lot of work on the field to make it safe. That turf under snow and ice just seems like injuries waiting to happen. Add in blowing snow and the cold and it’s going to be awful for both teams. I don’t anticipate world class play.
The timelines of the games are based on the European club games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Great result for Canada and for Edmonton as host. Spectacular game but almost marred by shambolic defending by Canada through the lastt 30 mins and especially last 10. Just giving Mexico chances and the tying shot was on the line. We won because of Borjan. Canada showing its inexperience tonight almost letting Mexico back in it.

We get the two results in Edmonton though and top of the table for now.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Huge, huge win.

Before these qualifiers, if you'd told me we'd get 4 points out of 4 games with the US/Mexico, I'd have been ecstatic. We now have 5 points with one match (at home) to go.

If we get four points out of the next two matches, I like our chances for Qatar.

Costa Rica and Panama play each other next, Costa Rica plays Mexico away after that, and Panama still has two away games vs the US and Mexico.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think if we win we have chance to take 1st in qualifier and clinch spot in world cup.

If we draw we probably pretty safe to make world cup.

If we lose is hairy, might have to play inter-confederation playoff for final 2 spots.

Looks like Mexico playing for a draw. Interesting, betting sites starting to give Canada favorable odds. Haha.

Gonna be a coach firing for Mexico I think after all this. What kind of message does it send to your team that you are expecting the best result they could get is a 0-0 draw. Mexico were most dangerous when they stopped hanging 5 back and started bringing resources forward, at which point they gave Canada some fits. Our defensive play still problematic when pressured. Playing back allowed Canada to possess the game, and we were able to pick the Mexico lock anyway, which is pretty impressive, because not even Germany could do it in WC.

This is still a talented enough Mexico side, and dangerous, but the coaching is horrific and not even allowing the club to play to any attacking strength.

Have to say Herdman looking better as a coach than I had expected.

Shoutout to Borjan for doing so much to stop the melee at end of the game. So evident why he's the leader of the team experience and maturity wise. Lot of Canadian players were getting out of hand, and I'll dispute the call on the game. The Canadian players on the bench coming onto the pitch, getting in a fracas near the end. That was some unfortunate conduct. Be better. Several were in the field of play.

I know Concacaf is dirty, but no excuse to sink to the level.

Sure they'll be a lot of great memories of the day.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Based on the way it sounded on TV, the atmosphere at Commonwealth was far superior.

It's kind of jarring to see Canada leading the table of the final stage of WC qualifying 8 matches in but they deserve it and actually have talent that can match these top Concacaf nation's now. Nothing flukey about this, it's not like some Cinderella story, they're legit.
At the game against Costa Rica, the TV didn’t do it justice for how loud and involved the crowd was.

I watched it the day after, and it wasn’t the same as being in person

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Gonna be a coach firing for Mexico I think after all this. What kind of message does it send to your team that you are expecting the best result they could get is a 0-0 draw. Mexico were most dangerous when they stopped hanging 5 back and started bringing resources forward, at which point they gave Canada some fits. Our defensive play still problematic when pressured. Playing back allowed Canada to possess the game, and we were able to pick the Mexico lock anyway, which is pretty impressive, because not even Germany could do it in WC.

This is still a talented enough Mexico side, and dangerous, but the coaching is horrific and not even allowing the club to play to any attacking strength.

Have to say Herdman looking better as a coach than I had expected.

Shoutout to Borjan for doing so much to stop the melee at end of the game. So evident why he's the leader of the team experience and maturity wise. Lot of Canadian players were getting out of hand, and I'll dispute the call on the game. The Canadian players on the bench coming onto the pitch, getting in a fracas near the end. That was some unfortunate conduct. Be better. Several were in the field of play.

I know Concacaf is dirty, but no excuse to sink to the level.

Sure they'll be a lot of great memories of the day.
Mexico probably wins if they don’t try and play for a draw by playing 6 back and 1 less mid fielder.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
More to the point. The one thing Herdman doesn't have a grip on, regarding this team, is discipline. Several Canadian players playing with fire and could get red carded in one of these matches. I know they're pumped, in the moment, but some of them are treating these like gridiron matches and two much stare downs with opponents and shoving matches. Borjan too, had to be cooled down after the goal. He could have easily been red carded when he shoved the Mexico player in the goal, after the goal, and then refused to relinquish the ball.

The take I get is the team is very mercurial, and its part of their fibre. But these kinds of things will cost you at worst moments. Be smarter, cooler headed out there. If not Canada will end up playing one of these matches a man down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Wasn’t Mexico a top 10 world team?

Mexico have had a lot of quality sides. Been following them for 50yrs. They're the perennial Concacaf quality and they BEAT Germany in the WC in a match Germany had to have. I mean to put it into perspective, defending WC champs Germany. Vanquished. Mexico deserved to win the game. I'm a German fan saying that.

Canada is real good now, and a lot of verve on this team. But its surrender of a sort playing 5 man back because you end up being in areas of the pitch where Canada is most gifted, and dangerous. It strangely plays into Canadas strength dropping back as we have pretty good precision in midfield causing problems. Our weakness is around our own box. Opponents ought to exploit those areas Like Mexico did down 2-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad