Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Another slog of a game on a terrible pitch. Ciccarelli seems to be a super sub and makes positive runs and plays. Works hard on the D end as well. Lopez was the assist man once again on the goal, he's been in on all 3 goals.

Swiderski made another pair of big saves , including what will be up for save of the tourney.

Much needed win and need to do the same against a sticky El Salvador side.

The winner came with a Dominican player rolling around near the touch line... If he just rolls out Canada may be off side but he stayed in play and Canada played over him. It's good enough for these players... maybe there will be less rolling around if teams play on and you cost your team a
game.

It was a formation change to a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 from a 4-3-3 in game 1. I questioned the subs in game 1.. Tonight the manager made a triple change in the 70th, going to a back 3 and throwing on Cameron, Costa and Ciccarelli. Increased numbers in the attacking area seemed to work so it was a positive night for the manager.. The Dominican did play through us late ... maybe the final change should have been for a more defensive player and not Diallo again. Frustrating for Diallo to come on both times with only stoppage time to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada soccer...so stupid.

spongebob-mr-krabs.gif

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
The thing is that Canada is good enough to win without cheating like this. Canada still fields a very solid roster and is the defending Olympic champion. They don't need drones.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
So embarassing for this country!! Priestman should be fired the second this tournament is over. Massive black cloud over this team for the rest of the games now. Flying a f***ing drone over a practice is one of the dumbest things you could do. Canada could beat and should beat NZ without cheating

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I'd understand spying on Spain's team, but NZ?
Exactly… if you’re going to cheat (and no one here supports it) at least do it for an opponent that will get out of the group or at least do it in the medal round…. Doing it for your easiest opponent is reallyyy dumb. I hope there are massive changes after this tournament. Priestman and anyone else involved should be punished and should feel ashamed

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Exactly… if you’re going to cheat (and no one here supports it) at least do it for an opponent that will get out of the group or at least do it in the medal round…. Doing it for your easiest opponent is reallyyy dumb. I hope there are massive changes after this tournament. Priestman and anyone else involved should be punished and should feel ashamed
This has to be the last straw for Bev. I would have canned her after the abysmal WC. Obviosuly the CSA gave her some leeway with the Gold Medal and likely didn't want to pay out her contract..... If this team does not deliver a deep run now, it's over.

The one thing I will add on the Bev front. It's unclear if she is ultimately responsible for this embarrassment or if she is taking the blame as the leader of the program. For all we know the drone was flown without her knowledge. Regardless she needs to have the staff in line.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This has to be the last straw for Bev. I would have canned her after the abysmal WC. Obviosuly the CSA gave her some leeway with the Gold Medal and likely didn't want to pay out her contract..... If this team does not deliver a deep run now, it's over.

The one thing I will add on the Bev front. It's unclear if she is ultimately responsible for this embarrassment or if she is taking the blame as the leader of the program. For all we know the drone was flown without her knowledge. Regardless she needs to have the staff in line.
Whether she knew or not as the leader of the group she also needs to be held responsible. Ultimately it’s her job not only to run the team on the field but have the due diligence to know what is going on off the field. I would be surprised if she didn’t have an idea about the drone.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

This is it.. she knows she's on thin ice and desperation is kicking in. What an appalling way to distract from the team's focus and from the Canadian Team as a whole. I'd have sent her home too I think if there was any more time. They may well just do so yet.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It won't be a one-match ban. Bev Priestman has attempted to discipline herself, but the repercussions will probably be more severe.

It's literally best if Soccer Canada suspends or outright fires her asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad