Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's entirely reasonable to say that they played an excellent attacking game and also they were naive in stoppage time.

They even had the warning when Suarez turned his defender and had his first chance but still remained very committed to pushing numbers up.

I totally agree with staying positive with 10 minutes left, 10+stoppage time is a lot to bunker down and hope, but once you get to 91 or 92' you gotta just hang back more. It's fine to send a couple attackers bombing forward on a run, but the midfields needs to be way further back and you simply can't let a cross like that get in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Upsetting to concede in stoppage time but you could see that coming.

If it was a veteran team, I'd be more upset, but I'll chalk it up as a part of the maturation process in this case.

Overall, this is an outstanding result for Canada. To come out of group including Argentina, Chile, and peru, then to make the semis, and then Uruguay to the brink.

Just outstanding.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Been hunting around to see where some fringe players are.

Where is Ike Ugbo? I thought he was a Troyes player (Troyes suffered double relegation then got back to Ligue 2 thanks to Ajaccio falling apart). Loan to Cardiff and Loan to Wednesday. he needs stability.

Found Cristian Gutierrez in the Chilean 2nd division. Safe to say his time with Canada is up.

Akinola has landed in the Swiss 2nd league. That is not positive.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Akinola has landed in the Swiss 2nd league. That is not positive.
He basically had one good month with MLS is back which made his stock sky rocket, since then he has been brutal to watch and doesn't seem driven to make things better for himself....

In other news, this post COPA media tour from Marsch has been incredible to watch. He is saying all the right things; questioning how Canada Soccer has operated in the past, bringing up problems with the grass routes level of football in this country, pushing the CPL agenda, etc.

It's been so refreshing.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He basically had one good month with MLS is back which made his stock sky rocket, since then he has been brutal to watch and doesn't seem driven to make things better for himself....

In other news, this post COPA media tour from Marsch has been incredible to watch. He is saying all the right things; questioning how Canada Soccer has operated in the past, bringing up problems with the grass routes level of football in this country, pushing the CPL agenda, etc.

It's been so refreshing.
It's what we need. I hope he can make a difference.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

It's been so refreshing.
I guess this is a pro in having MLS employed national team head coach instead of CSA paid head coach.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Watching the Belgium Supercup and there's this Canadian kid who has me thoroughly entertained. His name is David and he's the closest thing I've ever seen to Shaq trying to play football 🤣

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Big game in the CPL today between Forge and Cavalry.

Cavalry surprisingly find themselves chasing a playoff spot and need every point they can get. Forge can use the game in hand to move unto second place with a win.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I plan to watch Forge and Cavalry here tonight.

I watched Canada and Honduras u20 today.. that was agonizing.. that felt much like the Uruguay game for the senior team.

The long and short of it.. looked like we would be in for a long night through the first 15 minutes. 2 key saves from Swiderski and then Lopez got on the ball and drew a foul. Superlative free kick to take a 1-0 lead and the game switched. It was Lopez and , this time as the creator for Myles Morgan. Second effort got that one and at the half we are in good shape.

Honduras didn't make any changes at half but they changed their approach. They were pouring people forward and it paid off with a rebound goal around the 57 minute mark. No panic.

Lopez had been rolled up on in the first half and seemed to be unable to continue so he was off. We controlled the ball from the 60 through the 73rd minute but did nothing with it.. Then we went full low block which was working well but no counter attack.. none.. every ball played over half was dreadful.. So instead of soaking up pressure and making them pay... we dicked around and dicked around... game management can go many ways. We probably went too attacking at senior level and we played absolute chicken shit last night. If you are playing low block you typically use a winger to help the full back to make sure crosses don't easily get in. Rigo was left alone and did a couple of jumping jacks while the Honduran faked it... all kinds of room in the box for a touch, layoff and goal.

Felt like a loss. Didn't fully get the subs. Ciccarelli for Costa seemed like a strange one to make as your first and only sub around 53 minutes. They score 4 minutes later. I understood taking off Lopez and Bunbury around 60. The last change at 92 seemed to do more harm than good. Done as a time wasting thing but Diallo is not one bit in the rhythm of the game and is part of the ball watching committee. Sub, goal against.

Swiderski was excellent.. Lopez and Badwal were very good. Lopez man of the match and hopefully ok.

This team has talent and I think in better conditions they can show their stuff against El Salvador and the Dominican Republic.

It was tied on literally the last kick of the game..

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
🏆🇨🇦🇧🇪

1721663649524.png

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad