Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
So close to winning yet so far......man what a way to lose. Get scored on in extra time to tie then lose in penalties. Why do they break our hearts like this?? :( :confused: :(

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Marsch deserves tons of credit for getting Canada here, it's a massive accomplishment to even play in the third place game. He also needs to own how horribly the game was managed with a lead though, especially in stoppage time. It looked like total amateur hour from a squad who had no idea how to play in that situation.
That was some U12 stuff. Defending by going full out attacking. It's not the worst strategy at a pro level if you got world class players that can finish a game off.

Issue is the attacking team had shown zero ability to really finish all tournament long. We are far from a team that should be employing that strategy and you knew our backline would not hold up on the counter.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For context we started a B team and dominated the team that was second in most peoples power rankings coming into the tournament. They played a great game.

Power rankings are great.

They had a lead with 5 or so minutes left.

It may aswell have been a 3 on 0.

Fix that brain cramp they seemingly have every game that destroys their performance.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That was some U12 stuff. Defending by going full out attacking. It's not the worst strategy at a pro level if you got world class players that can finish a game off.

Issue is the attacking team had shown zero ability to really finish all tournament long. We are far from a team that should be employing that strategy and you knew our backline would not hold up on the counter.
That's fair.. I hope we learn and I really would like to win the Gold Cup in 25. We should be taking our best 26 players there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He didn't have a good Copa tournament at all, let's be honest. I think he should stay away from penalties.

But this game should've ended 4-1. Tani creates chances for himself but the finishing is way too poor.
He can't stay away from penalties. Captain of the team and is 3/5 overall in his career.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Power rankings are great.

They had a lead with 5 or so minutes left.

It may aswell have been a 3 on 0.

Fix that brain cramp they seemingly have every game that destroys their performance.
Don't get me wrong, I agree the game ended in a terrible fashion and it can't happen again.

Not going to call this an every game thing though since it's only game 6 with the group.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
He can't stay away from penalties. Captain of the team and is 3/5 overall in his career.

Regardless he didn't have a good tournament at all. Dunno if he waa injured but Laryea as LB tonight did better.

My ratings for this whole camp

++ ; Laryea Crepeau Shaff Cornelius AJ
+ Bombito Tani Choiniere Ahmed
+/- Oso Kone Tajon Staq Jo
- Larin Davies St clair
--Millar

Ldf didn't play much but wow. He's a future starter, Bombito will have serious competition

Reactions: adsfan

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Regardless he didn't have a good tournament at all. Dunno if he waa injured but Laryea as LB tonight did better.

- Larin Davies St clair
--Millar
Not his best for sure.My guess is he was playing hurt today. He is also coming off a season where he played 2000+ minutes for Bayern and had some knocks along the way.

Hopefully we get a little more out of him in future tournaments.

Reactions: JunglePete

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Sucks for Piette that he didn't see the field for another tournament. Can't blame him if he retires from the NT at this point.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

- Larin Davies St clair
--Millar

Ldf didn't play much but wow. He's a future starter, Bombito will have serious competition
Shaff has a serious motor. I thought that he was Canada's best player. It is a shame that they lost the game it Extra Time, then the PKs. Canada could have scored 2 or 3 in the first half, but they could not finish. That bicycle kick in the second half was beautiful.

It reminded me of hockey. The five Yellow Cards weren't enough. Tripping a player out of bounds so you can get a loose ball should received a Yellow, but it was not called. Canada had the better of the play and lost.

Canada had less talent than the under performing US team, but they are better at playing as a team. Well done at playing in the Third Place game. They deserved a win.

Reactions: JunglePete

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I turn the game on in the 90th minute and all I see is open Uruguayan runners converging on the Canadian goal. It appears to be fair to call the Canadians "naive".

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I turn the game on in the 90th minute and all I see is open Uruguayan runners converging on the Canadian goal. It appears to be fair to call the Canadians "naive".

It's too bad you missed the previous 89 minutes and an entertaining match.

It would have been fair to also call the Canadians "creative, aggressive and playing positive football".

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's too bad you missed the previous 89 minutes and an entertaining match.

It would have been fair to also call the Canadians "creative, aggressive and playing positive football".
Things happened yesterday evening that seemed more relevant than a 3rd place playoff. You can play good football, but if you don't know the basics of how to defend a lead in added time you won't win much or make your fans very happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad