Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Interesting... Wasnt thrilled with how he was in the WC, but you cant argue about how much he progressed the program for both the mens and womens teams.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If Neville ends up as the manager I'm going to be so mad.

Timeline:

It's no coincidence Soccer Canada brought him onboard recently. Neville is desperate enough for an opportunity that he will play for peanuts...

I think Herdmans fate was sealed after the 2022 WC. Had a chance to redeem himself in the months after against the USA in the NL finals and the team collectively planted an egg on the pitch. I think criticism from the WC was unfair because that group was hell from the start, however there were matches against Bahrain and Uruguay where he looked way out of his comfort zone.

I could also see Herdmans style of managing getting on the nerves of some of the players. I could see the inspirational bs and "brotherhood" stuff wearing thin on some of the guys.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The people at Canada Soccer are disgusting selfish cockroaches. They took the money and ran. They then went through their excuse playbook and named off every single reason why they couldn’t put more resources into the program. Now they can’t even afford to schedule friendlies… it’s criminal… complete negligence. No one should be shocked at all that Herdman left and he wasn’t the only one. Who wants to guess that this gets so bad that players like Davies refuse to put on the sweater at the WC and protest. It would be the ultimate embarassment.

CMT are going to name some part time school teacher who’s coaching some under 10 youth club in Edmonton as the next coach because they cant afford to pay anyone. This whole organization is a shit hole right now

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
CMT are going to name some part time school teacher who’s coaching some under 10 youth club in Edmonton as the next coach because they cant afford to pay anyone. This whole organization is a shit hole right now
This is the main fear.

I love Herdman for what he has done for the program on both sides of the game. That being said, I think we have seen the peek of his powers with the CMNT or close to it over the past half year or so. Change may have been a great opportunity to take another step forward for the CMNT but I just don't see them hiring an improvement on Herdman. There is no budget for it.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Thanks to Herdman for his contributions, but they need a proper, world class manager if they are to take the next step.
Soccer Canada won't do this, but that is what is needed. I fear a regression in the program leading up to the World Cup.

Reactions: maclean

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Sportsnet has suggested that Bobby Smyrniotis (current coach of Hamilton Forge FC) is in the mix.

He looks like a terrifying lumberjack, so that's fun.

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sportsnet has suggested that Bobby Smyrniotis (current coach of Hamilton Forge FC) is in the mix.

He looks like a terrifying lumberjack, so that's fun.
He deserves a look imo. Been under appreciated in the CPL for years now. I think once this CPL season is done it will be perfect time for him to make the jump.

I guess Phil Neville is by definition high profile
This line of thinking scares me.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
He deserves a look imo. Been under appreciated in the CPL for years now. I think once this CPL season is done it will be perfect time for him to make the jump.

This line of thinking scares me.

Panama's current manager, Thomas Christiansen or Wilfried Nancy, who manages Columbus Crew and has a lot of relationships with current CMNT players, have also been thrown around as names and could be good hires imo
Five possible candidates to replace John Herdman as Canadian men's head coach

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Disgrace that the CMNT is not playing in this international window and only playing 1 game next month IN Japan. Meanwhile the USMNT plays 4 games in the US, and 2 of them are going to be against Ghana and Germany.

Poverty nation.
This is where it becomes harder and harder to bring in dual nets. Why come play for us? The proof of no money is the main thing on display right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad