Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Kone has been playing 18 months nonstop, MLS season + WC + Watford. He's due for a rest.

HIebert is still new to the league in one of the best teams that happens to be an expansion team. You don't want to break his rhythm just yet.

I have NO idea how Sirois isn't on the list. He should've be no.1 for the Gold Cup. Kosi Thompson, Choiniere and JMR should've been on the list if you call guys like Wotherspoon and Brym.
I'm fine with Brym. Cavallini at 30 and Wotherspoon at 33 doesn't make much sense to me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I rewatched the match from last night..It actually looked like the bulk of our best players were playing to not get hurt. Did the transfer uncertainty for our big boys play a part? We have many guys that could be in new teams this summer.
The uncertain summer for some of these guys probably played a part. A lot of them (Davies, Johnston, Buchanan) have recently battled injury as well, there may have been some nervous legs on the field.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Whotherspoon has been an underrated player over the years for the CMNT. I don't mind him in the gold cup squad.

Players like Choinière often get overlooked by Herdman. He doesn't not make decisions off of small sample sizes. For Choinière, his time will come in 6 months to a year after he is a little more established.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
GlassCity has some decent sources but still unsure on how legit this is...

Curious as to what would lose him the room... He's backed most of these guys and he's been flexible and adaptable. Almost always playing positively and you can argue, too positively at times. He's managed to lure in many players with other options, to the program.

He even refused to have a go at them last night when he easily could have... Kristian Jack did it for him.

Got it wrong against Croatia... that's about all he's done wrong in his tenure. He had a pile of players lay an egg and play scared last night.

I'm not arguing with you, would just love to know what would cause this room to turn. Even brought in more support in Neville and Shaw.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The uncertain summer for some of these guys probably played a part. A lot of them (Davies, Johnston, Buchanan) have recently battled injury as well, there may have been some nervous legs on the field.
I would only point out that there's a lot of potential transfers on the US side too. Balogun, Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Reyna, Dest, Pepi, Pulisic, Musah, Trusty are all people who could be elsewhere next season

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I would only point out that there's a lot of potential transfers on the US side too. Balogun, Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, Reyna, Dest, Pepi, Pulisic, Musah, Trusty are all people who could be elsewhere next season

Fair - those guys played all out. (Some played more than others and Adams was injured.) US truly wanted it more and that is often a cliche but that was apparent after watching a second time.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Even brought in more support in Neville and Shaw.

How do you know Herdman was the one that brought in Neville and Shaw ?

GlassCity has some decent sources but still unsure on how legit this is...

I don't think he lost the rocker room but he's lost the support of the average supporter and the federation. I've been saying for months that Herdman reached his ceiling.

Herdman brought this team from point A to point B, we need someone that can now bring from point B to Z.

I personally believe the GC is his last and Phil Neville takes over after.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

I don't think he lost the rocker room but he's lost the support of the average supporter and the federation. I've been saying for months that Herdman reached his ceiling.

Herdman brought this team from point A to point B, we need someone that can now bring from point B to Z.

Could be right. And I don't know that he brought in Neville and Shaw.

Do we think he's headed for New Zealand and is playing out the string? Herdman's coaching resume is one heck of a great deal better than Phil Neville's.

Reactions: al secord

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There may be something to this. I don't see when Herdman leaves though? Maybe after Copa if it doesn't go well. On the other hand, that tournament could be a great opportunity for the next guy to get a good run with the team.

Do we think he's headed for New Zealand and is playing out the string? Herdman's coaching resume is one heck of a great deal better than Phil Neville's.
NZ would make sense. Obviously there is the connection to his kid as a pull factor. On top of that, NZ is also going to have more opportunities to get into the WC with the expanded format.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

I'd much rather Neville replace Kamal Miller than John Herdman.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
There may be something to this. I don't see when Herdman leaves though? Maybe after Copa if it doesn't go well. On the other hand, that tournament could be a great opportunity for the next guy to get a good run with the team.

NZ would make sense. Obviously there is the connection to his kid as a pull factor. On top of that, NZ is also going to have more opportunities to get into the WC with the expanded format.

If John's here till Copa, I'd find it intriguing that someone like Phil Neville would settle for being Canada's assistant coach that long. His name alone can attract EPL teams.

Copa should be the last tournament for Osorio and I'd think Vitoria as well with Borjan, Hoilett so I think personnel changes would be refreshing by then.

Could be right. And I don't know that he brought in Neville and Shaw.

That's true. That being said, I do think he did a very good job with Miami so he may be a better coach. We'll see.

If John leaves, I think he's headed back to England.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If John's here till Copa, I'd find it intriguing that someone like Phil Neville would settle for being Canada's assistant coach that long. His name alone can attract EPL teams.

Copa should be the last tournament for Osorio and I'd think Vitoria as well with Borjan, Hoilett so I think personnel changes would be refreshing by then.

That's true. That being said, I do think he did a very good job with Miami so he may be a better coach. We'll see.

If John leaves, I think he's headed back to England.
Phil Neville is not attracting EPL teams

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Neville's managerial career has been poor TBH. Doubt anyone in the first couple division give him a look.

To me that would be a major downgrade on Herdman.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Phil Neville is not attracting EPL teams

His name can. He's a very well known former international and ENGLISH out of Sir Alex school. Some of the English managers got janky backgrounds and questionable capabilities yet get decent gigs.

Neville will be fine in the long run coaching bottom EPL/top tier Championship teams.

I think Neville is better than Herdman tactically. I watched a lot of the Miami games last year. The fact he made the playoffs with that team is remarkable.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
His name can. He's a very well known former international and ENGLISH out of Sir Alex school. Some of the English managers got janky backgrounds and questionable capabilities yet get decent gigs.

Neville will be fine in the long run coaching bottom EPL/top tier Championship teams.

I think Neville is better than Herdman tactically. I watched a lot of the Miami games last year. The fact he made the playoffs with that team is remarkable.
I assume Phil would immediately go to a back 4, which given our lack of top defenders and lack of a top midfield destroyer, would be our best bet. 4-3-3 seems about right given our personnel. Could go 4-2-3-1 as secondary option.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I assume Phil would immediately go to a back 4, which given our lack of top defenders and lack of a top midfield destroyer, would be our best bet. 4-3-3 seems about right given our personnel. Could go 4-2-3-1 as secondary option.

From the games I was watching, it seems like he always changed formations, I'd think depending on who was available. That shows he has no problem to adapt.

Another thing worth adding and why I have a lot of respect for him, is that he had the balls to bench Miami's best player last season when he was being a diva and a nuisance. That player happens to be one of the greatest strikers of his generation.

He got benched for the 1st time in his career, replaced by a 21 yo striker. It humbled him and when he came back, he scored something like 15 goals in 20 games. Don't put pen to paper in what I just said, but the ratio was impressive.

He would have no problem benching Davies, if needs to. Herdman can't, which isn't his fault. I'm on board with Phil.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I'm shocked you doubled down on this. Neville is so far off the level of an EPL team. He was basically been handed his jobs due to the old boys club that is the late 90s/early 2000s United squad. The English women's team was brutal under him, as soon as he stepped down they went unbeaten over a calendar year and won the Euros.

He then got handed a job with Inter Miami by his good friend Beckham. Where once again didn't achieve any kind of results. Tactically the team never really got their footing since Neville had them switch between a back 4 and 5 on multiple occasions.

Who knows, Neville may grow in to a solid manager in time. Right now though? I don't think he would be the right hire for any of the teams in the 92, let alone an EPL club.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I'm shocked you doubled down on this. Neville is so far off the level of an EPL team. He was basically been handed his jobs due to the old boys club that is the late 90s/early 2000s United squad. The English women's team was brutal under him, as soon as he stepped down they went unbeaten over a calendar year and won the Euros.

He then got handed a job with Inter Miami by his good friend Beckham. Where once again didn't achieve any kind of results. Tactically the team never really got their footing since Neville had them switch between a back 4 and 5 on multiple occasions.

Who knows, Neville may grow in to a solid manager in time. Right now though? I don't think he would be the right hire for any of the teams in the 92, let alone an EPL club.

Ok let me clarify.

what I bolded is exactly my point. Former big players turned managers get very decent jobs without necessarily being qualified ; Seedorf, Lampard, Pirlo, soon maybe Ashley Cole, his brother Gary...

Is he EPL quality ? Absolutely not but doesn't mean he isn't on their radar and in reality it doesn't matter much.

He probably has a bit more to prove now because of his bro's horrible stint at Valencia and was average at best with England W but best believe it won't take too long if he succeeds to go back.

Someone like John Herdman would need years and years of success to be taken serious. Phil would probably need 1.5. That's just how it works.

That's why I believe him being assistant in Canada of all countries in the long run is absolutely not beneficial and wouldn't make any sense.

Reactions: robertmac43

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada will open their Gold Cup on the 27th against Guadeloupe (who qualified last night).

They are a non-FIFA member so no ranking points against them...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ok let me clarify.

what I bolded is exactly my point. Former big players turned managers get very decent jobs without necessarily being qualified ; Seedorf, Lampard, Pirlo, soon maybe Ashley Cole, his brother Gary...

Is he EPL quality ? Absolutely not but doesn't mean he isn't on their radar and in reality it doesn't matter much.

He probably has a bit more to prove now because of his bro's horrible stint at Valencia and was average at best with England W but best believe it won't take too long if he succeeds to go back.

Someone like John Herdman would need years and years of success to be taken serious. Phil would probably need 1.5. That's just how it works.

That's why I believe him being assistant in Canada of all countries in the long run is absolutely not beneficial and wouldn't make any sense.
Yeah totally fair. Sports and football in general are run on nepotism. Phil has a lot of that going for him.

On the note of Herdman, it will be interesting to see what his life post Canada Soccer looks like. He has been here for so long and brought plenty of success to the program. That being said it doesn't feel like success in Canada will bode too well in the job hunt.

They are a non-FIFA member so no ranking points against them...
This is brutal

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Ok let me clarify.

I don't think he's on their radar at all. He may have once been but since then he's flopped as a manager everywhere he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad