Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yup they are about to get destroyed. f***ing awful by Herdman and that shit backline sucks.

Canada will allow a few more....

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We need a backline for 2026. Guys like Miller and Kennedy suck so bad... You essentially force the midfield to hold back and support these guys. No one can track balls in the air either...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Need Buchanan on to up the creativity. we have had some good moment but need a that clinical finish in the final third.
To be fair, this is an easy game for the US. They never were in danger, they have the height advantage Canada has no life.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Kennedy...no pressure and has either kicked the ball long to no one or kicked the ball straight out of play. What in the f***?

This is downright embarrassing by Canada. By far one of the worst games by this country since 2017?

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This is such typical Canada play. I had hoped we were past this.

Terrible defensive CB play.

Terrible final third execution. The worst we have seen in some time.

I feel as well it was poor selection and game plan from the coach this time around. A rarity, but inopportune time for it to happen.

Reactions: Tuggy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I turned it off after the 80th minute...They were never going to score this game. Never a threat and could have conceded more goals against if the USA werent wasteful with their chances.

The USA is still a better side by a mile. At least Canada can beat the likes of Honduras and Panama....

Jonathan David is just totally useless whenever he puts on a Canadian jersey. Just useless as f***.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Reyna and Balogun... great pairing. The US back 4 was really on it.

Started Osorio presumably to have more of the ball , Osorio did get one chance but for the most part wasn't a factor and the second goal needed a tactical foul from him. Once Reyna got on the run... Kennedy had no hope so blaming him there is pretty tough. I am not certain... Actually i'm positive we cannot play a back 3 against teams of this quality... Not unless we really have everything working from mid through the forwards...

Try and pick a player that played well going forward...just try. (Kone might be the closest to it) Akekugbe should be a locked on starter ... LB or LWB - don't care. Kone had some positive driving runs. Our set piece deliveries were awful.

Borjan could have at least pawed down the first goal and relied on a defensive clearance.

Have to give the US credit though.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It is time to replace Herdman. He did a great job building the program but we need more than a cheerleader to reach the next level. He is tactically inept.
Agree. He has a solid vision of how a program should operate and can motivate a team to perform well against lesser nations...however he has been making horrendous decisions and has really shown a complete inability to manage in-game.

f***ing disgraceful to see that longball strategy come into play again. It was like....okay, Davies may get to the ball but he's 1v2 and there's no one remotely close to the box?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That game was so bad.

How bad was it?

So bad I missed MAK!

I hated soany of ours guys games tonight it's not even worth getting into.

KJ ripped them post game on OneSoccer and rightfully so.

Reactions: canucksfan

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This country needs to start developing defensemen fast. You can't beat any quality sides with what we sent out there. Having said that, the gap between midfield and defense didn't help matters.

I think Herdman has run his course. His decision making was mind boggling. I'd be all for moving on from him if it wasn't for Canada Soccer completely bottling his replacement.

David definitely didn't do himself any favours in the transfer window. In key games, the national team jersey seems to be an invisible cloak to him.

Last edited:

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
As much of a clown Herdman is/can be, there are severe limitations in this roster (midfield/defence) that will be cruelly exposed when they line up against legitimate top 15/20 teams. Copa America would be an absolute disaster.

But I would love to see what Marc Dos Santos could get out of this roster.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Dismal and disappointing performance.

Once again, our best players don't show up when it matters most. Davies and David just can't seem to stay consistent with the NT. Don't get it.

KJ breaks it down pretty well.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
This country needs to start developing defensemen fast. You can't beat any quality sides with what we sent out there. Having said that, the gap between midfield and defense didn't help matters.

I think Herdman has run his course. His decision making was mind boggling. I'd be all for moving on from him if it wasn't for Canada Soccer completely bottling his replacement.

David definitely didn't do himself any favours in the transfer window. In key games, the national team jersey seems to be an invisible cloak to him.

I think with David there's some recency bias. He played poorly in the World Cup and yesterday, but he scored some key goals when it mattered during WC qualifications. Still has yet to score against Mexico and the US though which is worrying

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think with David there's some recency bias. He played poorly in the World Cup and yesterday, but he scored some key goals when it mattered during WC qualifications. Still has yet to score against Mexico and the US though which is worrying

He has no problem scoring against the smaller nations...

I think it's time to move on from Borjan.

He's done great for the country and I appreciate all he's done, but it's time to find a new keeper. First goal was stoppable last night...

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Davies was fine to me, he made things happen for most of the game. My main issue with him started in about the 75th minute. He goes into hero mode and starts trying to do too much.

Adekugbe had one of his worst performances in a long time. Ball seemed to die at this feet on the left side. I think he turned it over 3 or 4 straight possessions at one point.

Larin and David looked like players coming off a long club season. Not too energetic with poor touches all around. I think a break is much needed for them and some other players on the team.

Kennedy was poor. Sucks as he was really coming into his own pre-injury. Vitoria should have started over him.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just like that we are on to the next competition. Gold Cup squad is announced.

Ali Ahmed is a solid shout. The 22 y/o is having a great season thus far.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
No Larin, no Koné, no Davies and no David. Geez...
We knew that going in though. Honestly this squad is stronger than i thought it would be. I didn't expect to see Laryea, Oso, and Staq.

Other notes:

- Zac McGraw, Ali Ahmed and Jacen Russell-Rowe all get their first call ups.
- Kaye left off the squad, looks like his time is officially done.
- Shaff gets rewarded after a great start to the year in Nashville. Hoping he gets a chance to impress under Herdman.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I rewatched the match from last night..It actually looked like the bulk of our best players were playing to not get hurt. Did the transfer uncertainty for our big boys play a part? We have many guys that could be in new teams this summer.

The US team played with reckless abandon.. really wanted it.

Davies was fine to me, he made things happen for most of the game. My main issue with him started in about the 75th minute. He goes into hero mode and starts trying to do too much.

Adekugbe had one of his worst performances in a long time. Ball seemed to die at this feet on the left side. I think he turned it over 3 or 4 straight possessions at one point.

Larin and David looked like players coming off a long club season. Not too energetic with poor touches all around. I think a break is much needed for them and some other players on the team.

Kennedy was poor. Sucks as he was really coming into his own pre-injury. Vitoria should have started over him.
I generally agree but I thought Adekubge and Kone were our two best players. As it turns out the player ratings came in and had Vitoria as a 6.5, Adekugbe, Kone and Laryea with a 6 and everyone else 5.5 down to a 4... Really really bad.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Just like that we are on to the next competition. Gold Cup squad is announced.

Ali Ahmed is a solid shout. The 22 y/o is having a great season thus far.

This looks like a back 4 with 9 defenders which for my money is our future against the bigger teams.
Akinola and Ubgo out. Jebbison invited but still holding out hope for England. No Corbeanu..

No Kone and no Hiebert is disappointing.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
This looks like a back 4 with 9 defenders which for my money is our future against the bigger teams.
Akinola and Ubgo out. Jebbison invited but still holding out hope for England. No Corbeanu..

No Kone and no Hiebert is disappointing.

Kone has been playing 18 months nonstop, MLS season + WC + Watford. He's due for a rest.

HIebert is still new to the league in one of the best teams that happens to be an expansion team. You don't want to break his rhythm just yet.

I have NO idea how Sirois isn't on the list. He should've be no.1 for the Gold Cup. Kosi Thompson, Choiniere and JMR should've been on the list if you call guys like Wotherspoon and Brym.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad