Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Well, you have to start somewhere.

4 more years of growth will do this team well. Plus there will be some new talent in the mix.

The first 90 and final 45 of the tournament were what I wanted to see. The middle 135 we got put in our place.

Nations League, Gold Cup, hopefully COPA America and quality friendlies will be key to continuing the programs resurgence.

Bright days ahead despite this reality check.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I dunno... It's hard for me to be disappointed in the WC performance. I mean not too long ago the idea of Canada even playing in the '22 WC seemed ridiculous. Before this cycle the last time Canada even made the final round of qualifying was '98. A ton progress has been made in a short period of time.

I'm no expert, but I think Canada is generally decent in attack, but it is clear it is lacking both technically and talent wise on the other end of the field... err pitch. Hopefully that can improve before '26. I think Canada can/will continue to get better to a certain extent, but I also think its ceiling in world soccer is probably relatively low.

I expect Canada will be/remain a regional power/contender, and with the expanded field, Canada should become a WC regular, but anything beyond that... :dunno:. I mean Mexico is a country of almost 130 million where soccer is by far the biggest sport. The United States is a country of over 330 million where over the past 30+ years, in an effort to make soccer relavent in the US, and the US relavent in soccer, BILLIONS of dollars have been spent. Despite this both countries produce national teams that generally don't do much more than scrape and claw their way out of the group stage before getting bounced in the round of 16. If that's the best those 2 countries have been able to do, I have a hard time having particularly high expectations for Canada.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Does anyone think Ghana should be the worst team on here?
Ghana has a better overall team and the scores were unflattering. Canada had the worst backline of all the teams this tournament.

Please watch more international football going forward and you will see why Canada is ranked so lowly. The style we play is really disorganized and they always looked vulnerable when the ball went the other way.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ghana has a better overall team and the scores were unflattering. Canada had the worst backline of all the teams this tournament.

Please watch more international football going forward and you will see why Canada is ranked so lowly. The style we play is really disorganized and they always looked vulnerable when the ball went the other way.
Oh no I know what you are saying. My point is the FIFA Rankings as a rating system are trash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad