Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Son of one of the Kratt Brothers for anyone who grew up on the TV show Zoboomafoo.

4657d574ec69b24f5b697d93ac9baaa6.jpg
Wait I thought you were joking :laugh:

Reactions: Pink Mist

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It's pretty sad to see all that hard work Team Canada put in to the World Cup to be all undone by a coach who doesn't know the difference between his butt and his elbow with his comments. That game was lost before it begun.

::edit:;

Man, that's some really thin skin.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Man, that's some really thin skin.
No other team talked shit because they don't want that to happen to them. There were times where reporters tried to get some Mexican players to talk shit about Argentina's slow start and none of them took the bait.

Team Canada are rookies on and off the field and they proved it.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
No other team talked shit because they don't want that to happen to them. There were times where reporters tried to get some Mexican players to talk shit about Argentina's slow start and none of them took the bait.

i'll say it in the other thread and i'll say it here, Herdman had success coaching a women's side so how does he make that mistake? Canada breaking a 36 year drought is no excuse. Now Canada is eliminated likely because of his dumb antics.

• Haha
Reactions: Emerica

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Pretty sad that one of the best soccer nations on the planet needs to use a coach trying to fire his team up to get out of bed.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Sad way for things to end.

We needed David and Davies to be our best players and they were far from it in the 2 games.

Defense was always going to be an issue and it was on full display today.

Hopefully they can save some pride and put in a good performance against Morocco.
True all around. Davies was good, but tried to do too much himself, especially in the BEL game.
David I am perplexed by. Is he misused on the CNMT? Or does he not have the quality around him to enable him to be great? Some players make others great, and some can play with great players. I feel he might be the latter.

You nailed it with the bolded comment. if we can get a result vs MAR, I would be satisfied to be honest. We got curb stomped today, and it really undid a lot of the good from the BEL match. But the lads have a chance to show their mettle and pride. MAR has all to play for, so it will be a telling match.

Croatia was and is just a better team then Canada. Trying to act like Croatia beat Canada because of some dumb comments Herdman makes is honestly just not giving enough respect to Croatia. What an over blown load of shit honestly.
Thank you for saying this. I was also thinking it. After what CRO saw us do vs BEL, I am pretty sure they were ready... we did catching the off the hop, but they adjusted quickly and never looked back. They look, to me, to be a top 4 club at this tournament. Hell, they may not even qualify for the round of 16 but they have quality throughout, and ate us for lunch.

We were never getting out of this group. We all wanted us to, and you can't blame us for seeing through our hearts. Reality bites.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's pretty sad to see all that hard work Team Canada put in to the World Cup to be all undone by a coach who doesn't know the difference between his butt and his elbow with his comments. That game was lost before it begun.

::edit:;

This is for that Croatian rag that ridiculed Canada's flag on its front page. So, who really F'd whom? :sarcasm:

dJO71cG.png

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Do any Canadian channels carry international games?

I'm working my way into soccer and want to follow Bayern for Davies, and I wanna check out some EPL as well. These World Cup games have been a lot of fun, even without getting the results we hoped for.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do any Canadian channels carry international games?

I'm working my way into soccer and want to follow Bayern for Davies, and I wanna check out some EPL as well. These World Cup games have been a lot of fun, even without getting the results we hoped for.

There isn't really one option to go to which is really unfortunate. FuboTV has the most options for club football, they have EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1 and CPL. DAZN carries Champions League, Europa League and MLS. TSN carries LaLiga. SN now premium has Bundesliga. One Soccer has been a good source for Canadian National Team games.

Before subscribing to any services I would double check what they carry. There's been frequent changes with who carries what. DAZN used to carry more.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PBandJ

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Sad way for things to end.

We needed David and Davies to be our best players and they were far from it in the 2 games.

Defense was always going to be an issue and it was on full display today.

Hopefully they can save some pride and put in a good performance against Morocco.

I would put the blame on our midfield before anything. You had an injured Eustaquio at 35th mark begging to get out and a 40 year old stubborn grandpa who thought he still had it. All this facing the best midfields in the world. While Osorio, Kone and Kaye 100 percent ready. At what minute do Croatia score? 36th and 44th.

Atiba should have went down and pretend to be injured so Kone could come in. Apparently he even refused to come out at 55th, talk about being f***ing delusional. Even Doneil came out on his own against Mexico pretending to be hurt to avoid a red card. All this brotherhood talk went out of the door the 1st minute of the tournament.

To me, we had a disappointing World Cup due to 3 main factors

1. Herdman's arrogance
2. Davies playing hero, ball hogging, over doing it.
3. Atiba

If Atiba is in the lineup against Morocco I am not gonna watch it. Otherwise we have Nations League games in March.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
There isn't really one option to go to which is really unfortunate. FuboTV has the most options for club football, they have EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1 and CPL. DAZN carries Champions League, Europa League and MLS. TSN carries LaLiga. SN now premium has Bundesliga. One Soccer has been a good source for Canadian National Team games.

Before subscribing to any services I would double check what they carry. There's been frequent changes with who carries what. DAZN used to carry more.
I definitely think I'll look into Fubo. Catching some Ligue 1 for Mbappe and Neymar would be sweet as well.

Much appreciated, sir.

Reactions: Korpse

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
[MOD]

I would put the blame on our midfield before anything. You had an injured Eustaquio at 35th mark begging to get out and a 40 year old stubborn grandpa who thought he still had it. All this facing the best midfields in the world. While Osorio, Kone and Kaye 100 percent ready. At what minute do Croatia score? 36th and 44th.

Atiba should have went down and pretend to be injured so Kone could come in. Apparently he even refused to come out at 55th, talk about being f***ing delusional. Even Doneil came out on his own against Mexico pretending to be hurt to avoid a red card. All this brotherhood talk went out of the door the 1st minute of the tournament.

To me, we had a disappointing World Cup due to 3 main factors

1. Herdman's arrogance
2. Davies playing hero, ball hogging, over doing it.
3. Atiba

If Atiba is in the lineup against Morocco I am not gonna watch it. Otherwise we have Nations League games in March.
Don't have time to deal with you Pete. Herdman had everything right against Belgium and we should have won... You wouldn't be posting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean, what you seem to be implying seems to support the fragility descriptor. Sticks and stones and all that.

Is that the impression you got? Did Croatia look fragile out there?
Look, the point is that one person's fragility is another's strength. If someone tells you to your face that you're fragile, you're going to laugh it off. That's fine, personally I would do the same. But for a lot of people that would be a sign of weakness. If you don't stand up for yourself, you won't be respected. Both can be equally valid approaches and it largely depends on the environment you grow up in. If you think the former is better, great, for my part it's my approach to life too, but you can't just ignore that the other one exists or you're going to get punched in the face when you run up against it.

Reactions: luiginb

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
In any case, it must be said that much more humility is needed from the whole environment, here I've read things like calculations and the possibility of reaching the round of 16. The same goes for the USA.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
In any case, it must be said that much more humility is needed from the whole environment, here I've read things like calculations and the possibility of reaching the round of 16. The same goes for the USA.
Alot of this comes from how this team qualified. Canada was the best Concacaf team of this cycle but this was also the weakest Concacaf cycle in a bit. In 40 years of following this sport, this is hands down the worst Mexican side I've ever seen, USA is rebuilding, Costa Rica's generation is running on fumes, etc.

If we had qualified by snatching the last qualifying spot and barely scoring any goals and playing horrific football throughout, expectations would have been different.

Bht man, if they score that penalty against Belgium, it sure changes everything.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Alot of this comes from how this team qualified. Canada was the best Concacaf team of this cycle but this was also the weakest Concacaf cycle in a bit. In 40 years of following this sport, this is hands down the worst Mexican side I've ever seen, USA is rebuilding, Costa Rica's generation is running on fumes, etc.

If we had qualified by snatching the last qualifying spot and barely scoring any goals and playing horrific football throughout, expectations would have been different.

Bht man, if they score that penalty against Belgium, it sure changes everything.

Meh, if Davies score that penalty there are still 80+mins to play c'mon.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm taking a positive outlook on this tournament for Canada, especially if they go all out against Morocco. This isn't hockey where anything less than a tournament victory is a failure. Making the tournament was a huge step, and even getting a goal was a positive. Playing even, arguably better, than Belgium was a plus too. Herdman's comment cost Canada nothing, Canada was beaten by a team that is much better. A good showing in the game against Morocco and this tournament was a positive.

Looking forward to the last game and hoping that the Canadian team can build on this going forward.

Reactions: Pink Mist

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Sad ending. I feel bad for Hutch, but he was exposed big time. His injury and lack of playing time coming in really showed. Sucks that it was his 100th cap too. And once Eustaquio went down, we were cooked. They bossed the midfield. We seemed to just hand them the ball in poor positions.

The excitement of the Belgium game was really a let down. We blew our chance to advance when we couldn't finish. We needed something from that game but only have ourselves to blame. Blown opportunity. We really needed more from David too.

The young guys will live and learn and be better for it. Very proud of our boys.

Reactions: Tuggy and maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad