Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
They're nowhere near ready with the talent they have. They need to continue to develop youngsters in Europe.
In 2030, their current key players will be on the wrong side of the age curve.

In 2026 they'll be a host nation. Davies et al will be both in their prime and will have had experience both in the WC and top Euro leages. If Canada isn't ready in 2026, I'm not convinced they'll be better in 2030. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that though.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
In 2030, their current key players will be on the wrong side of the age curve.

In 2026 they'll be a host nation. Davies et al will be both in their prime and will have had experience both in the WC and top Euro leages. If Canada isn't ready 2026, I'm not convinced they'll be better in 2030. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that though.

In 2030 their best players (Davies, David, Buchanan) will be in their early 30s. Mix their veteran presence alongside the new talent Canada will develop and they will be in a good position to challenge.

2026 might be a cinderella like story; but I don't think they'll have enough good young players other than the crop who is 20-22 this year.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
In 2030 their best players (Davies, David, Buchanan) will be in their early 30s. Mix their veteran presence alongside the new talent Canada will develop and they will be in a good position to challenge.

2026 might be a cinderella like story; but I don't think they'll have enough good young players other than the crop who is 20-22 this year.

I'm not convinced it's a given that Canada will develop enough young talent to be better off in 2030. I'd argue there's a high degree of probability the current version of the CMNT is our own "golden generation."

The level of support for the infrastructure necessary to continually produce elite level footballers has always been somewhat tenuous in Canada. If 2026 goes the same way as 2022, I'm not sure the public will have the appetite for investing in soccer the way they do now. The Herdman era may ultimately prove to be the anomaly, not the norm. There are lots of older sports fans like myself who've been absolutely burned by the CMNT in the past. Asking for more patience after an unsuccessful 2026 campaign might be a bridge too far.

Again, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
What a great start to the game today! We got creamed by a dominate Croatian team. They are very good. Able to pick us apart from the mid-field in and especially just outside the box. Seemed to be after early space in the wings, they were forcing us to the middle where we were not able to make plays, a little soft in the battles (we were playing CONCACAF looking for soft calls, everyone else was playing FIFA where you have to battle through) and lack of ball support imo.

We all knew coming in we were probably the weakest defending team in the tournament. That played out today. I don't know how much formation played into that, or lack of adjustments late in the first half. I will say, personnel selection didn't seem ideal, but hindsight is pretty clear most times. Not having Eustaquio made it clear to me how important he is.

Still a chance to accomplish the next step. With the first goal now in the bank, time to get a win in preparation for 2026.

I don't know how Canada Soccer can prioritize developing (centre) backs, but it should be a priority. Look at our roster... all but 6 players under 30! 15th youngest squad, and remove Atiba, Vitória and Milan and we might be closer to the youngest.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If they're crying and feigning offense because the 41st ranked country in the world says they're going to f*** them in the world cup I'd happily say it their face

i understand where you're coming from but i feel like you've never met anyone from croatia is more my point

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It's pretty sad to see all that hard work Team Canada put in to the World Cup to be all undone by a coach who doesn't know the difference between his butt and his elbow with his comments. That game was lost before it begun.

::edit:;

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hasa92 and Emerica

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sad way for things to end.

We needed David and Davies to be our best players and they were far from it in the 2 games.

Defense was always going to be an issue and it was on full display today.

Hopefully they can save some pride and put in a good performance against Morocco.

Reactions: wingman75

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Any young defenders coming up?

Our U17 and U20 teams have just been putrid so it's hard to say until they either get scouted by MLS or European teams. As of right now...the options we see now are the only options we may have for 2026.

Our youth programs need a ton of work though.

Reactions: canucksfan

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto

Son of one of the Kratt Brothers for anyone who grew up on the TV show Zoboomafoo.

4657d574ec69b24f5b697d93ac9baaa6.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad