Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For his F Croatia moment? You need to understand something about Balkan mentality, Herdman's interview was a faux pas from more points than one. Croatia might have come against you lot as deflated and arrogant as Belgium did, but now after the coach's words they're gonna come out to eat you alive, if they had better strikers I'd expect a blowout.

He didn’t say F Croatia in an interview.

He said it in a huddle with his players.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
For his F Croatia moment? You need to understand something about Balkan mentality, Herdman's interview was a faux pas from more points than one. Croatia might have come against you lot as deflated and arrogant as Belgium did, but now after the coach's words they're gonna come out to eat you alive, if they had better strikers I'd expect a blowout.
"I just told them they belong here and we’re going to go and ‘eff’ Croatia next"

Is this what you're referring to? If Croatians need that as motivation to beat Canada, that "Balkan mentality" is quite soft.

They should beat us , and if they do, it won't be because of an off the cuff remark by an emotional manager. If the Croatian players are giving this a 2nd thought, which I'm sure they're not, I think that's perfect for us.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I saw it live, it was during an interview, if he had said it in a huddle with his players I'd have no problem with it.

You guys are pretty full of yourselves for a team who's not scored in 4 world cup matches in their history. I can't wait to see how you will "F Croatia". Stay classy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Doesn’t matter where/when he said it if it gets out. It’s clearly on the bulletin board now

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Doesn’t matter where/when he said it if it gets out. It’s clearly on the bulletin board now

For sure.

I mean, he said it in the huddle and then told people what he said in the huddle.

Not a smart move and he regrets it but now Canada really has to put up or shut up.

My heart says that Canada will want to prove him right but my brain says that Canada makes a mistake early and then gives up another pressing late for a 2-0 loss.

You guys are pretty full of yourselves for a team who's not scored in 4 world cup matches in their history. I can't wait to see how you will "F Croatia". Stay classy.

I wasn’t impressed with the jingoism following the Belgium match and you can read as much in this very thread.

Stay classy yourself.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
For sure.

I mean, he said it in the huddle and then told people what he said in the huddle.

Not a smart move and he regrets it but now Canada really has to put up or shut up.

My heart says that Canada will want to prove him right but my brain says that Canada makes a mistake early and then gives up another pressing late for a 2-0 loss.

I wasn’t impressed with the jingoism following the Belgium match and you can read as much in this very thread.
I think it goes the way of the Belgium game. We'll push them, but they'll push back with class. Too much for Vitoria and Kamal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They should beat us , and if they do, it won't be because of an off the cuff remark by an emotional manager. If the Croatian players are giving this a 2nd thought, which I'm sure they're not, I think that's perfect for us.

Well:

"I second the head coach and I cannot wait for the match to begin,” Croatian forward Ivan Perisic said.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm more focused on our mentality then the Balkan one. They can come at us deflated or inspired, makes no difference to how we should come out, which like against Belgium should be aggressive.

They can get pissed off and come at us hard or go dance in the aisles for all we should care, we gotta play our own game.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I saw it live, it was during an interview, if he had said it in a huddle with his players I'd have no problem with it.

We're full of ourselves? When did this happen? Lol.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I don't think you understand our mentality.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mexican coach really pumping Canada's tires. And probably subtly trolling lol.

We concacaf misfits gotta stick together.

Mexicans like the audacity of it.

I have Mexican in-laws now and they’re a hoot.

I’ve already been invited to like six weddings.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Mexicans like the audacity of it.

I have Mexican in-laws now and they’re a hoot.

I’ve already been invited to like six weddings.
Some of the coolest fans I've ever encountered when we were at the Iceteca. It was such a party atmosphere.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some of the coolest fans I've ever encountered when we were at the Iceteca. It was such a party atmosphere.

They are so proud of their country it’s pretty insane.

Sometimes I feel like the WASP white folks in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

“Like dry white toast.”

It’s tequila every day - but the good stuff.

All of my Mexican relatives and friends “Love” every one of my Facebook posts while my traditional Canadian relatives are more comfortable using “Like”. ;)

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
If nothing else, the last 48-72 hours has certainly done a good job in underscoring that there are few things more tedious in the world of sports than discussions about "bulletin board material".

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Is this what you're referring to? If Croatians need that as motivation to beat Canada, that "Balkan mentality" is quite soft.
Having Balkan mentality is not a compliment. It is inability to be professional and show up for games night in night out, even ones without a lot of meaning. It is a very frustrating thing for fans, but it does come handy when you play against a stronger team.

Reactions: maclean and luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Having Balkan mentality is not a compliment. It is inability to be professional and show up for games night in night out, even ones without a lot of meaning. It is a very frustrating thing for fans, but it does come handy when you play against a stronger team.
I hate how right you are haha

Reactions: maclean

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

If Croatian players and coaches gave more than one second of their energy towards Herdman's comments they already lost lol,

They just showed the world they are a bunch of softies twisting his remarks. Miss me with the 'Balkan mentality',

But anyway this is my lineup for that game, with Herdman there is no clear tactic so I will just list who is gonna start
JD
Larin-Osorio-Buchanan
Atiba-Eust
Davies-Miller-Vitoria-AJ
Milan

So Larin in for Hoilett and Osorio in for Laryea. If we can get 60 quality minutes out of Atiba, we win the game. Subs should be Hoilett, Laryea, Kone, Cavallini, Ade.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If Croatian players and coaches gave more than one second of their energy towards Herdman's comments they already lost lol,

They just showed the world they are a bunch of softies twisting his remarks. Miss me with the 'Balkan mentality',

But anyway this is my lineup for that game, with Herdman there is no clear tactic so I will just list who is gonna start
JD
Larin-Osorio-Buchanan
Atiba-Eust
Davies-Miller-Vitoria-AJ
Milan

So Larin in for Hoilett and Osorio in for Laryea. If we can get 60 quality minutes out of Atiba, we win the game. Subs should be Hoilett, Laryea, Kone, Cavallini, Ade.
Release the Kone! I agree with this lineup but I would go ballsy and insert Kone over Osorio. But I think it will be Hoilett.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Release the Kone! I agree with this lineup but I would go ballsy and insert Kone over Osorio. But I think it will be Hoilett.

I would give Kone the start against Morocco instead. I go with Oso because Croatias midfield is the best midfield we will face and Oso has more experience and a better game against Belgium. For Morocco, the midfield should be Oso-Eust-Kone if we win tomorrow.

As for Hoilett, just like Laryea, were gassed early last game. Best if they come off the bench sometime in the 2nd half but who knows with Herdman.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Just watched the gameday minus 1 presser. I liked what I heard. Focus, focus, focus.

It was somewhat humorous listening to both coach and Stephen talk around the tactics questions lol. Team is on a media blackout, no surprise there. He hinted at a lineup change, and said they were focusing on three areas of improvement. Finishing in the box is clearly one, which he insinutated.

There was the odd 'eff' Croatia talk, but it was minimal and seems to be taken lightly by the in person media.

Key for me tomorrow, obviously, is to not get down early. Play again on the front foot. But if we can't get a finish, we are finished. Will also be anxiously watching the BEL v MAR game pulling for a big BEL win.

Enjoy the game friends!

GO CANADA GO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad