Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Pete - i think you are right .. sort of.. Davies on the left but i think we are going full attack.

After today's game, do you see why it may be best to play Davies at LWB or would you prefer in a full offensive role?

Quite honestly, I got fed up of his style well over a year ago of always taking extra touches, over dribbling, play hero, I always knew at LWB he would be somewhat limited to always wanna oversell. Today, I think he was the worst player for Canada because of those reasons - Not because of his penalty miss alone

Reactions: Tuggy

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm really proud of how we outplayed one of the world's 10 best nations. I realize our style went up well against their lethargic style and might be tougher against an energized Morocco but still, we've come a long way.

In terms of Davies, I don't think he was bad but I do think he should be restricted to the left wing, let him cut inside if he wants though.

I know the focus is not being able to convert chances but we'll probably get done in by our defence not being up to the same level as the attack in this tourney tbh.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
That was tough to take. Dominate Belgium. Eustaquio bullies a world class midfield. And we get beat on a direct ball down the middle again.

Apologies to Richie. At the pub, that looked like a dive. But it was a clear cut penalty.

I don't know what to say about Davies. That ball should have been ripped out of his hands by David. Hutchinson, Vitoria...they can't allow that to happen on the big stage.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Off topicish considering the ongoing WC, but has anyone noticed that John Herdman's 18 year old son, Jay Herdman, plays for the New Zealand u-20 team? You'd think he'd be in the Canadian program lol

no idea about the quality of Jay Herdman, just found it curious

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That was tough to take. Dominate Belgium. Eustaquio bullies a world class midfield. And we get beat on a direct ball down the middle again.

Apologies to Richie. At the pub, that looked like a dive. But it was a clear cut penalty.

I don't know what to say about Davies. That ball should have been ripped out of his hands by David. Hutchinson, Vitoria...they can't allow that to happen on the big stage.
I am just watching the international broadcast (BBC). So far my need for external validation has been met (12 minutes in). Also, they are ripping the PK pretty well; totally justified. Just nice to listen to a non-Canadian perspective since so much of our coverage is internal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not a big fan of our circle-jerking media/pundits/blogosphere building the team up before they've actually done anything.

The loss to Belgium and subsequent crowing about articles in the media has a "handshake line" type feel to it.

I get that it's nice to be back but serious soccer nations care about results.

While I'm glad Herdman is bringing the swagger back but maybe some humility for the recent World Cup finalists is also in order.

I don't think we're going to surprise either Croatia or Morocco the way we did Belgium, particularly as each match becomes that much more important.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto

Has made a verbal agreement with them now. Looks like its all but official

I'm not a big fan of our circle-jerking media/pundits/blogosphere building the team up before they've actually done anything.

The loss to Belgium and subsequent crowing about articles in the media has a "handshake line" type feel to it.

While I'm glad Herdman is bringing the swagger back but maybe some humility for the recent World Cup finalists is also in order.

I don't think we're going to surprise either Croatia or Morocco the way we did Belgium, particularly as each match becomes that much more important.

lol Croatia is soft

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I agree, the media back slapping and smart ass jive talk is rapidly becoming unbearable and as you said, it isn't backed up by an actual point yielding result.

an awful lot of hot air for a nation that has yet to register as much as a goal in World cup don't you think?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Laryea is also getting a ton of praise after the game. Hopefully Nottingham gives him a second look or some other team takes him off their hands
He deserves all the praise and another look for Forest. If not with Forest he should definitely be playing somewhere else Europe.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I'll give them a pass for this cycle.

It is the first time in 36 years and, so far, we looked good. We also looked great in qualifying.

That being said, we cannot become as arrogant about soccer as we are about hockey, not without results. Heck, even with results. We are sooooooooooooooo smug when it comes to hockey. Watching the WJC is two weeks of propaganda for our idea of "Canadiana".

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
All of Montreals players getting picked up by European teams. They likely don't make the playoffs again next year.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
All proceeds from the $5 tickets will be donated to Food Banks Canada to help support holiday food drives.

Tickets go on sale online at Cineplex.com and in-person on Nov. 26 at noon local time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zirakzigil

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
For what?

For his F Croatia moment? You need to understand something about Balkan mentality, Herdman's interview was a faux pas from more points than one. Croatia might have come against you lot as deflated and arrogant as Belgium did, but now after the coach's words they're gonna come out to eat you alive, if they had better strikers I'd expect a blowout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad