Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Naw dawg, they blew it. Of the two european games I always figured this was the one where a win was more likely since our strength (speed and skill on the wings) lined up with Belgium's weakness (their old, slow as balls defence). But you can't miss that penalty and all those first half chances.

Reactions: NyQuil

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Took some time to digest everything after the final whistle.

Team played really well but moral victories don't get you very far. Canada deserved at least a draw. That penalty miss really, really stings.

The good news is the other match was 0-0, so we are still in a decent position. But, losing the first game puts massive pressure on Sunday. They need at least 4 points from the next two matches.

It's funny, I thought David and Davies were Canada's worst players. Davies especially.

Probably the best match I've seen Laryea play. He was causing all sorts of problems down the wing. So much, that Belgium needed to make a change at half.

A lot of missed chances today but Canada certainly showed they belong (not that I had any doubt).

I think if they play the same way against Croatia, they should be in good shape. Hopefully David and Davies can find their games.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Canada was the better team. Should have had at least one more PK. Davies shouldn't be the first option for a PK. Sucks to lose, but this game gives me hope for the remaining 2 games.

If they can do that well against the #2 team in the world, they can beat the other two teams in their pool. I expect Canada will come out fully pissed off against their next opponent. This could bode well.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
After soaking it all in. It hurts. We outplayed them. Davies ego took that pk. David and herdman should have stepped up.

So f***ing proud of the boys. God damn.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Heartbreaking loss, Canada had everything but the finish. With the other game in the group being a goalless draw, Canada still controls its destiny.

This is Canada in the grandest stage of all sports and they are making us proud, often dominating the #2 ranked team in the world.

Reactions: Tuggy

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Just rewatched the game at home, was at a bar watching live, hard to get a true feel for the game in that emotional setting.

The press from the start was amazing, and executed to perfection. Love Davies, but he might have been one of the last guys I'd select to take the penalty... so many other good options. Hoilett & David were prime candidates. That kick was a precursor of what was to come as far as missed chances.

Thought we were pretty sloppy in the second half, in the mid-field. Tidied it up towards the end and generated two spectacular looks for Larin. But he, like David was not able to get himself positioned to finish off those plays. David in the first half did a double clutch in a prime spot, but Larin I think was in an even better spot late in the 2nd half and almost seemed unprepared to strike the ball. Those two with the PK, and perhaps the header from Larin were prime chances.

Disappointed that an effort like that did not result in any points. It's a shame really. But, qualifying was not a fluke, and now everyone knows. Anxious to see how things play out on Sunday; we need BEL to win out, we will HAVE to beat MAR... does a tie vs CRO do us in? Probably.

I want to see Hoilett and Larin on the pitch at the same time. I haven't seen any player ratings, but the eye test tells me no one was under an 8!

Also, I appreciate the way BEL play... honest game. They play hard, firm and respectful.

Reactions: jj cale and Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad