Can Connor McDavid break up the "big 4"?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
This isn't true at all.

Syd is feminine and has been used as an insult towards him throughout his career and was a bannable offense on this forum for years.

Even if you don't mean it that way, calling a male Sidney "Syd" is typically received as an insult.

Personally I read an article where they write Syd but it's long gone forgotten(I guess back in 2014-2015). That's why I remember it.

If It is not appropriate. I'm sorry and only start writing Sid (which I mostly prefer btw. Just tend to interchange. Muscle memory).

Goals mean that much to you? Crosby had 0 in his SCF Smythe win.

Mic drop?

It's nice that new people are getting into hockey. I hope you enjoy the sport!

That Goal is in OLYMPIC FINAL gives your nation the GOLD MEDAL. ARE YOU INSANE ENOUGH TO SAY THAT DOESN'T MATTER?

Revoke your nationality. Now.

Seriously.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Crosby is closer to being outside the top 15 than he is to overtaking Lemieux.

I always hate the debate around leadership. What, specifically, has Crosby done as a leader? What, specifically, has McDavid failed to do?

We aren't in the locker room. We don't hear the bench conversations. We aren't in the gym or plane or restaurant or anything like that.

Leadership is far more than just a binary win/loss. And we just don't know enough to make any judgement on leadership.

McDavid laying an egg in game 7 will absolutely be part of his story. But why is Crosby getting patted on the back for sitting on the bench in game 7 while Maxine Talbot scored two goals in the Penguins 2-1 win?
I agree with all of your post otherwise but I'm not even sure I'd call Game 7 "laying an egg" for McDavid. He created multiple excellent chances in the final 6-7 minutes of the game that would have led to a goal more often than not. He hardly even got a breather during that time before immediately getting back on the ice. I thought he met my expectations with that finish.

Now Game 6 on the other hand, that one's stranger.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Personally I read an article where they write Syd but it's long gone forgotten(I guess back in 2014-2015). That's why I remember it.

If It is not appropriate. I'm sorry and only start writing Sid (which I mostly prefer btw. Just tend to interchange. Muscle memory).

That Goal is in OLYMPIC FINAL gives your nation the GOLD MEDAL. ARE YOU INSANE ENOUGH TO SAY THAT DOESN'T MATTER?

Revoke your nationality. Now.

Seriously.
Nah, I'm a proud Canadian. I'm rocking my passport around the world. I'm not sure what you are. Or who you are. You're new to the sport, clearly.

Beljavskij

Jan 10, 2022
Hasek, Beliveau, Bourque, Roy, Lafleur for sure and Harvey, Hull, Jagr right behind him. I have Crosby 10th at the moment but will fall to 11 when McDavid is done (he's penciled in to the 5-9 range but just gotta see where his career totals end up)

It's so hard to compare goalies vs other positions, goalies should really be a separate ranking. But OK, I guess you can make a case for Hasek and Roy (especially Hasek) if you value the goalie position.

But I think Crosby has a very good case against all of Beliveau, Bourque and Lafleur, both in terms of production and hardware.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
Hasek, Beliveau, Bourque, Roy, Lafleur for sure and Harvey, Hull, Jagr right behind him. I have Crosby 10th at the moment but will fall to 11 when McDavid is done (he's penciled in to the 5-9 range but just gotta see where his career totals end up)
Bourque in front of Crosby ridiculous

Reactions: sanscosm

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A proud Canadian that say "golden goal for his national glory does not matter much in GOAT conversation".

That's not proud, that's arrogance and ignorance just to win an arguement.

Embarrassing.
Go to bed. I think you may have had a little too much to drink. :laugh:

I clearly did not say that. It was a fluke goal that Iginla did the work for. It was huge. I was bouncing off the walls, but I also have eyes and have watched hockey for a long time.

Terimah Kasih.

Reactions: Voight

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
Go to bed. I think you may have had a little too much to drink. :laugh:

I clearly did not say that. It was a fluke goal that Iginla did the work for. It was huge. I was bouncing off the walls, but I also have eyes and have watched hockey for a long time.

Terimah Kasih.

My point is. The person of any nation will "NEVER" downplay the goal that bring their nation glory no matter how much "fluky" they think. That person who scores that goal will always be a "god" to them.

Oh yeah.. You might be the newer generation who thinks ONLY Canada suppose to win in ice hockey. That's why Crosby golden goal seems like Tuesday for you.

Careful. That's the arrogance I talk about. Don't be like American in basketball.

One more thing. It is "Terima". No H.

Sama sama.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
It was a fluke goal that Iginla did the work for.
What are you f***ing talking about

Crosby carried it in the zone driving the play, got through on net 1 on 4 with the original chance then forchecked half off balance off the rebound, poke checked the puck to Iginla, then got into position and called out to Iggy asking for the pass.

Crosby was absolutely the driving force on that goal

Your version is delusional

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Crosby carried it in the zone driving the play, got through on net 1 on 4 with the original chance then forchecked half off balance off the rebound, poke checked the puck to Iginla, then got into position and called out to Iggy asking for the pass.

Most importantly Crosby anticipated the play before anyone else on the ice to get separation.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
Most importantly Crosby anticipated the play before anyone else on the ice to get separation.
All in seconds, including taking the pass slightly behind him, reaching back while still moving and bringing it lighting quick into shooting position

The Golden Goal is like one of the most perfect examples of why Crosby is a generational legend

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Just so that people don't have to wonder how much contribution Crosby had to that goal...

As accurately noted by a couple, Crosby with a multi-line carry, brings the puck from outside the dots to inside despite it being 1 on 4. pushes through the checking to retrieve his own rebound, keeps it alive to Iginla in the corner, immediate activation off his pass to the interior, calls for it, accepts a somewhat inaccurate pass from Iginla, and quickly releases it to surprise Miller and win the game.

Iginla's 6 foot pass behind Crosby tho. Damn, that was fire.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Plus/minus is far from my favorite stat, but I think it's worth pointing out that McDavid does have the best combined plus/minus in the playoffs over the last three years:

I'm sure many of his advanced stats (GF%, xGF% etc) are strong as well. Bottom line is I don't think he makes any less of a positive impact on goal differential at even strength in the playoffs than Crosby did in his prime.

For reference, Crosby ranks just inside the top 20 in plus/minus in the playoffs between 2016 and 2018:

It is just plus/minus, but if anyone has anything that suggests Crosby was better at driving goal differential positively in his playoff prime (other than just, "I think he's better defensively" or, "I think he was a better leader"), I'd like to see it.
McDavid up until I think game 4 of the finals was a career minus at 5v5 in the playoffs when he didn't have Draisaitl on his line. That just isn't good enough for a top 10 player of all time.

His plus minus only looks good because of how often the Oilers stack his line with Draisaitl and their 2 best D at the expense of depth.

• Haha
Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
McDavid up until I think game 4 of the finals was a career minus at 5v5 in the playoffs when he didn't have Draisaitl on his line. That just isn't good enough for a top 10 player of all time.

His plus minus only looks good because of how often the Oilers stack his line with Draisaitl and their 2 best D at the expense of depth.
Man, you are really sipping on that “haterade” :laugh: just say you hate the guy and will go to great lengths to discredit him, no matter how foolish it makes you look

Also, would love to see the stats to back up your claim that McDavid is somehow a Product of Drai

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

I thought Draisaitl sucked against FLA frankly and he wasn't great against DAL. He was obviously playing hurt. His shooting was atrocious (particularly by his standards). I think one of the main reasons they lost is that he couldn't shoot properly.

That McDavid performed really well against DAL with Drai nowhere near his best is definitely to his credit.

Their depth had a great showing against FLA. Janmark was one of their best players. With Draisaitl being able to shoot normally, they probably win TBH.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
I think McDavid single-handedly winning game 5 in a high pressure back to back elimination scenario in the Stanley Cup Finals no less is something we rarely see from a non-goalie.

This will be remembered for years to come.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
My point is. The person of any nation will "NEVER" downplay the goal that bring their nation glory no matter how much "fluky" they think. That person who scores that goal will always be a "god" to them.

Oh yeah.. You might be the newer generation who thinks ONLY Canada suppose to win in ice hockey. That's why Crosby golden goal seems like Tuesday for you.

Careful. That's the arrogance I talk about. Don't be like American in basketball.

One more thing. It is "Terima". No H.

Sama sama.

I'm sorry. Autocorrect got me. :rolleyes:

Your talk about nationality is complete nonsense. I watched the game. I don't think you did. You "accuse" me of being like an American, yet you insist I act like one. It's bizarre. I don't think you're Canadian.

:laugh:

You and I see different things, clearly. Take a chill pill. Iginla was the driving factor in that goal. Without his board play, it never happens. It was a flukey goal that I went absolutely wild for. I was bouncing off the walls.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Crosby's "calling card" is not an intangible. It's not some mystery. He was the best player in the NHL for 10ish years. His prime is essentially twice as long as Lafleur's, on a worse team, in a more competitive era.

I'm not gonna convince you, nor am I gonna try because this just too far in outer space to possibly return to earth...but man alive, I don't know how that can be justified...

I often think about whether or not Lafleur was even the best player on that team...I'd never think for a second to try to hold him against Crosby or McDavid at this point...well, interesting, if nothing else...
Which 10 is that?

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
You and I see different things, clearly. Take a chill pill. Iginla was the driving factor in that goal. Without his board play, it never happens. It was a flukey goal that I went absolutely wild for. I was bouncing off the walls.
Yes I see reality and you see fiction

Iginla had the puck on the board for barely a moment, and Crosby is the one who got the puck to Iginla and then immediately got to where he knew he needed to be for the pass... also the entire play which is more than just the pass and shot is Crosby going beast mode against basically every team usa player on the ice

And it wasn't a fluke Crosby called the damn shot.

Likd legitimately are you trolling here

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes I see reality and you see fiction

Iginla had the puck on the board for barely a second, the entire play which is more than just the pass and shot os Crosby going beast mode against basically every team usa player on the ice

And it wasn't a fluke Crosby called the damn shot.
Sorry, play from the boards is more accurate.

We can agree to disagree. No need to get pissy.

That goal is overrated and I'm as big of a "homer" for Canada as there is.

• Haha

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm sorry. Autocorrect got me. :rolleyes:

Your talk about nationality is complete nonsense. I watched the game. I don't think you did. You "accuse" me of being like an American, yet you insist I act like one. It's bizarre. I don't think you're Canadian.

:laugh:

You seemingly don't understand the sport. Maybe watch more and post less.

Ok then, you're entitled to your opinion. It's still an opinion and not fact.
The moon landing is fact. Some people have the opinion that it didn't happen but it's still a fact.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad